Jayco Eagle battery

Hi looking at buying a jayco eagle, told I should definitely get the extra battery pack, but if this wont run the fridge, is it worth just for lights? I'm new to caravanning so is there something I'm missing with what I will get from the extra battery pack?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 19:56

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 19:56
Hey Leedub

When you say "but if this wont run the fridge" what do you mean? Do you mean you wont be running the fridge from the van?. If you are only running lights (and they are reasonably efficient) then one battery should do you for a few nights camping no worries. If you are running a fridge (or 2) then I would definitely invest in a second battery. I would consider 2 x 100 Amp hour batteries as the minimum for extended camping trips.

Look at getting quality AGM (glass matt) type batteries as they are designed to be charged and discharged repeatedly. You will also need to invest in a quality charger and a generator or a solar panel for topping up the batteries if you plan to do extended trips in the bush away from power.

Regards
AnswerID: 442045

Reply By: bluefly - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 20:30

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 20:30
The battery pack is offered to do just that....run the lights and other very low usages.

Your right, it’s a waste of time to run a three way fridge on battery power.

Having said that, you do have access to gas, which will be available for a number of days.

I don't think you can pose a question in isolation. I'm sure you'll get a greater response is you explain the intended end use.

Cheers
AnswerID: 442047

Reply By: kingswoodwagon - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 21:15

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 21:15
I wouldn't buy it yet?

See how often you run out of lights when remote camping.
I initially set mine up in my back yard with the lights on and determined how long the battery powered the lights for.

Then if you need more power storage - the options you'll be looking at may include - Solar, Generator, LED lights, 2nd Battery etc. Portable auxiliary battery.

You may find the battery consumption comes from the other appliances - eg. running an inverter to power phone chargers, portable dvd player, laptop, camera chargers, etc.

Enjoy

AnswerID: 442052

Reply By: HGMonaro - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 21:46

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 21:46
The way I read your question is should you get the optional battery pack, not an extra battery as well. If this is the case, then I think that yes, you should get it (funds permitting) as the convenience is considerable. Otherwise you'll need to keep portable lights handy or the car connected for overnight stops when not connected to mains power.
AnswerID: 442055

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2011 at 18:55

Monday, Jan 17, 2011 at 18:55
Hi Ledub,
I had a Jayco Eagle, I had one glass mat battery which lasted I think five days with reasonable useage. I always ran the fridge off the gas when I was camped in one spot for a period of time. I have an Engle in my vehicle which I used all the time so I had little use for the fridge in the Eagle. I did fit an additional 9kg gas bottle holder for longer duration stays. I alaso had the solar fitmets put into the Eagle which I never used, I modified the system and had a CTek 7200 charger hooked up when I was on a powered site to charge the battery. The battery charger supplied with the van wasn't up to the job. Good luck with the main door, I had nighmares with mine, also had to take the Jayco back several times to get the lids on the storage drawers strengthened they kept on splintering around the hinges. And before I get any SA responses about weight watchers I'm only around the 80 kg mark. If you are planning on going on gravel roads make up some velcro covers for the fridge vents before you go on the roads, if you don't you get red dust everywhere.
I've now sold mine I only did three trips in it I've gone for a Tvan more suited to my needs.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 442128

Reply By: beergutz - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 00:17

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 00:17
g'day leedub,
i had a 06 jayco hawk outback,came standard with everything
needed to hook up a battery except the battery ,which i chose to source
my self. Yes you need a battery to run the lights unless hooked into 240v .
the fridge was 3 way and the van needs to be fairly level for it to work ( on
gas at least ) . i added a 2nd battery to run the engel fridge & could beach camp 3days without using the generator. also ran a 600 watt inverter to run tv & playstation ( kids need their time out ). had a local canvas shop make an annexe for van at a much lower price than the dealer said .
only problem i really had with van was with gas regulator, replaced min 6 before
it sorted itsef out ( all provided free by dealer who provided a spare to carry ).
you can not use the fridge on gas while travelling, so if you want things to stay cold you need a battery & make sure fridge is connected to it & / or a connection to tow vehicle battery .
had a lot of good times in our hawk & never regreted buying it!
cheers
AnswerID: 442160

Sponsored Links