Sat TV and insurance

Can anyone assist us with a couple of questions. We are shortly to settle on the sale of our home, and are keen on getting Sat tv while we travel for an extended period. There are several outlets and types of setup. Are the dish with tripod okay, or subject to being unstable, as against those attached to a pole on the aframe.
In regard to insurance, has anyone experience with not having a dwelling, but getting insurance for van,car and storage furniture? And a suggestion on with who, if thats okay to comment on that
Thanks
Ron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 16:16

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 16:16
Tommy180
Just because you don't have a dwelling insured shouldn't go against you getting car and van insurance.
But insuring contents in storage could be a different matter, is it stored at a friends place, or is it in a furniture storage place, if that is the case its not impossible, but the cover would most likely be limited.
Strongly suggest you try going through a Broker.
Hope this helps.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 442219

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 16:51

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 16:51
Hi Ron
I like a tripod, instead of a pole, so if you are in a location with tree cover, you can easily move the tripod around to get clear view of the sky. The tripod is pegged to the ground and is stable. I have three coax lead for use with the sat dish, one about 3 or 4 m, one about 6 or 7 m and one about 12m and use the appropriate length depending on how far the dish has to be from the van to get a clear view of the sky. Occasionally I have had all 3 connected together, to find clear sky.
Cheers
Neil
AnswerID: 442223

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 17:36

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 17:36
Agree with the tripod and a couple of pegs holds them down The one on the A frame may end up at the wrong end for reception an it isnt a good idea to travel with it on there as some have actually folded up with the wind.

Either on the rear bumper or as we did Put it in the car against the front of the cargo barrier.

A 700mm dish is best as reception in the far south is harder to get than north due to angle of satellite in the sky.

Be aware that Sat TV is changing to the VAST system shortly and the old boxes wont work.
Neither sadly will my plain white card. LOL

Insurance is hard to get for contents if you dont own a house.

We had trouble but got it through a broker who unfortunately dont do it any more.

You will just have to ask around.

Car and van insurance is OK but they usually only give $2000 of contents in the van. You can get more contents insurance in the van for an exta premium though.
We wanted the stuff covered when in the car and that was the hard part.

Suncorp would insure stuff in a canvas unlockable annex but not the same stuff in my locked and alarmed car.

Our furniture was stored at Fort Knox in Caboolture who sell insurance for a monthly fee.

Try www.accessantennas.com.au for a sat set up.

We got ours off them and has been good. If you get a box with a USB port you can record programs as well.

AnswerID: 442227

Follow Up By: farouk - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 20:22

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 20:22
Tommy180,
I got contents insurance with the furniture stored in a farmers shed at Mannum when we were building our home at Victor 5 years ago with the RAA, so suggest you try the motoring organisation in your state.APIA did not want to know us and we had been with them for years.
Farouk.
FollowupID: 714318

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 20:41

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 20:41
Maybe you got it as an extension of your being built house but most only give it as that and if you havent got a house at all they wont do it.

No house = no contents extension

We tried nearly everyone before our broker got one to tailor a policy for us.
Unfortunately they have changed underwriters and the new one wont do it.

As we have bought a house it no longer matters.

FollowupID: 714324

Reply By: glenok - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 20:17

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 20:17
Tommy 180
My dad had a tripod type dish and quite often had trouble getting a signal.He ended up getting a automatic dish that is fixed to the roof and when activated it opens up and locks onto the satellite automatically in a matter of seconds. The 2 down side are the price( I think $6000) I could be wrong and if you are parked under a tree you are not going to get a signal. If you can afford it might be worth a look if you are moving a lot. Pretty hard to steal aswell being on the roof. Also has his foxtel which he is very happy about(nothing to do with auto system of course).Good luck and have a great trip.
Glen
AnswerID: 442250

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 20:38
The disadvantage of a rooftop system was highlighted at Tennant Creek.

We had our tripod system going perfectly when a Winnebago or similar ostentatious motoe home pulled in

Put his sat dish up and it swivelled araond and didnt get anything.

He came and asked me did I have a signal Yep no probs great picture,

Oh he said what do I need to do to get mine to go...

Buy a chainsaw was the thing that came to mind.

Guy next to us had a 600mm dish and I never did get it to get a signal whereas our 700mm never had any trouble.

The cheapest auto is about $4800

We could generally get signal in less than 5 mins, often less.

The Access systems come with a compass and inclinemeter and a book with the angles for most places in Australia.

At 80 mile beach I had to use about 30m of cable and site the dish at the rear of the drive through site behind us to get past the trees.

You wouldnt have had a dogs show with a roof top unit.

You can buy a lot of fuel for the $4400 difference in price.

FollowupID: 714323

Follow Up By: glenok - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 21:01

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 21:01
Agree with you Graham H. I did mention the down falls, trees etc. Just another option for him to think about. Alot of people spend more money on one thing when they could do the same job for a lot less money and buy a great deal of fuel with the difference. Its all personal choice.
FollowupID: 714330

Reply By: Tina - Ausiwi - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 20:26

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 20:26
In regards to insurance, we had no problems getting insurance on our motorhome, the contents had a standard of $2000.00 but we increased this really easily to cover everything that we are going to carry, and the rest of our gear is going to be in fort knox type storage place and they insured that really easily also, this is through RACV, hope this helps,
Cheers Tina
Ausiwi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 442253

Follow Up By: Tommy180 - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 17:40

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 17:40
Thanks for the ideas. RACV will not take on storage insurance unless the house and contents was previously with them. Broker I have dealt with for many years cannot assist either.
Thanks
Ron
FollowupID: 714444

Sponsored Links