Are any of the mini notebook computers good for navigation?

The navigator has always relied on paper maps but is showing an interest in moving into the modern world of digital navigation.

In the interests of comfort (a large notebook on the lap in the front seat may be a wee bit cramped) we are thinking that perhaps the mini notebooks would be ideal.

There are a few out there and the prices are quite good, but can they do the job i.e. do they have the computing power to handle the task?

What are others using - hardware and software? All comments and advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 13:42

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 13:42
I've been using a 10 inch ASUS for 24 months and a mate an Acer for about 18 months. Both run Ozi Explorer and have done many trips including the CSR, parts of Gunbarrel, Connie Sue and Anne Beadell without missing a beat. We've also used them to down load photos whilst travelling.

You can also use it to play music and watch stored DVDs - very versatile. Others may use them for even more applications than what we do.

Prior to the 10 inch job I had a 15.5 inch lap top and it was cumbersome.

A word of caution though. If you're permanently mounting it make sure of clearance for air bags if you vehicle is fitted with them.

Cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 442336

Reply By: Honky - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 13:51

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 13:51
Going a little bit further, what about the Samsung Galaxy s which is a 3g phone, inbuilt GPS and big enough to read but small enough to fit in a purse?
Heaps of APPS and can check emails.

Honky
AnswerID: 442338

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 14:48

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 14:48
Hi Moose
Amongst other gps's, I run a 10" Toshiba netbook with a usb gps mouse, 12v power supply from the cig socket and Ozi Explorer, with various raster maps.
Works fine for me. My father runs the same, but with an Aldi 10" netbook
Cheers
Neil
AnswerID: 442343

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 15:49

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 15:49
I have an EePC mounted on my dash. Good but screen suffers with sun glare so hard to read at times. At night it is great.

Got pulled over by the cops one day because they thought it was a DVD player and we were watching a movie. Quite happy for the puter to be running as a GPS but don't use it as a DVD player when driving as that's illegal.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 442348

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 18:33

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 18:33
They all suffer from direcct sun but it is pretty easy to make up a sunshade over top and at the sides.
FollowupID: 714448

Reply By: chisel - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 18:36

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 18:36
The ipad can be an excellent gps/navigation aid ... but it does not come cheap - starting at around $700 or so for a 3g model (which has gps).

Good ipad apps such as Memory Map can take raster maps (like oziexplorer) or you can purchase the VMS app which has touring maps and topo maps builtin (but the app itself is expensive ... $150+)
AnswerID: 442376

Reply By: lindsay - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 19:05

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 19:05
A panasonic toughbook CF 18 and it can be turned to a tablet style. See on ebay. $400 to 700 bucks s/h.
AnswerID: 442380

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 19:29

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 19:29
Oziexplorer is available now in beta test version for Android devices. You can try it now on an android phone. It works well. No sign of an Apple Ipad version yet :-)

Get an android tablet ( 1/3 the price of IPAD and can do multitasking, 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a laptop). This can then do anything you would want with mapping.

-Turn by turn GPS
-Any Hema etc map though Ozieplorer
-google maps

It is also a phone, you can get weather, entertainment, movie player, music player etc etc.

You rarely use a keboard for mapping or causal browsing. These are tougher and a lot less weight.

You can sit it on your lap as a passenger and have a wonderful time. try that with any laptop.

AnswerID: 442383

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 05:58

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 05:58
Have a look at the Asus EeePC T91 Tablet. Doubles as a small (8.9" screen) laptop/tablet. Open it up and its a laptop, swivel the screen and its a tablet, reducing the space it takes up in the cab. The latest version runs Windows 7 with a 32 Gb solid state hdd so it wont be affected by vibration. Also has ability to take SD card for extra storage space.

It will run Oziexplorer as well as the Garmin gps for PC meaning it can run as a true GPS navigator. Best of all it isnt expensive, new being under the $700 mark. I have one and i love it.
AnswerID: 442404

Reply By: Member - Ian A (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 07:21

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 07:21
We have a Samsung Q1 which is a touch screen tablet, we run both Ozi Explorer and Co pilot on it. Recently upgraded the OS to Windows 7 and it is even better than when it was running Vista.
You can get dedicated RAM mount fittings and holders for this and also a dedicated car power supply.
Great screen, not the biggest but a lot better than any of the GPS units for viewing, can get a seperate keyboard if you don't want to just use the touch one and when fitted with a Telstra Turbo modem we have access to internet etc

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 442408

Reply By: Lindsay & Aj - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 13:04

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 13:04
Gday Guys,
I currently run a lilliput system that does every thing required. Front usb for the flash drive to be plugged in the wireless keyboard aswell. 40Gb Hdd 512mb ram 7' touch screen with radio and tv built in. DVD rom and CDR burner runs window xp has office and runs ozi from a external GPS reciever. All of this fits into a double din in the dash. Folds the screen away when not in use and the radio works with out the screen.
AnswerID: 444295

Sponsored Links