Camping near rivers and it rains

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 18:50
ThreadID: 83779 Views:3327 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
For years I have heard and been told NEVER sleep in a river bed cause, that water will come up and wash you away. And in 2007 I saw dry rivers run north of Broken Hill after only 38mm of rain! Mind you for 4 years before that I had slept in river beds up that way anyways, but wow seeing what happens to a dry river when it starts to run is quite a sight, even have pic of the actual "front" of water starting down Brewery Creek up there, just wish I had seen it!

With the floods around at the moment, who would be camping anywhere NEAR a river if it started to rain (lots). The link below is quite amazing, if you open it up and wipe the mouse of the pics you'll see the water rise and see what went under. How close will you be camping to rivers after seeing this??

Before and after photo's

Most amazing

Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 19:05

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 19:05
Bonz,

'ave a read of this thread ;)

Hope your NZ trip was enjoyable :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 442454

Follow Up By: Axle - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 20:16

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 20:16
Kev , Why wasn't the building code changed after 1974, and is it going to be looked at in the future in these effected areas?

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 714531

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 20:39

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 20:39
Axle,

The current QLD Building Act took effect in early 1976.

It does not include provisions in regards to flooding that is the role of the Australian Building Code which from memory states that a dwelling is to be built so that flooding does not enter the property.
This is where some of the problem lies. Some areas have had flood studies done and 1 in 100 year flood levels have been determined and the finished floor level of a dwelling is required to be 300mm above that level or like out here in Chinchilla where we don't have a flood study, I use the highest known flood level and make the finished floor level 300mm above that.

I had great arguements with a property owner early last year in this regard and made them build their house about 1m higher than they wanted too. After this recent flood they had just over 600mm free board under the house. So I saved them the heartache of losing a new house. I am now their best friend LOL but I would have been their worst enemy if I allowed them to build as they wanted. Their Caravan shed wasn't so lucky and had 600mm of water through it, so only minimal damage in the grand scheme of things.

I don't see why things need to change now, just because houses built in flood prone areas have been inundated. That is a risk owners take unless they wish to raise the house height. ( I have 3 already in Chinchilla wanting to raise them) It may seem callious but it is a fact of life.

Capt Bligh has been saying she wants them to be raised but at the same time we are being told to become 6 Star energy efficient for housing. A slab on ground house is the best for energy efficiency ratings. Who is going to foot the bill to raise the houses?

I will be watching to see the findings of the Inquest to see what exactly is going to be changed/recommended.

Cheers Kev

Alot of issues are Planning Policy issues

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 714532

Follow Up By: Axle - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 20:53

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 20:53
It will be interesting from state to state, to see if any policies change after all this!, Thanks Kev.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 714535

Follow Up By: Ifeellikeanewscreenname (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 20:59

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 20:59
I see these days instead of digging foundations some builders use big blocks of polystyrene, just use bigger ones and the house might even float, then you'd just need a good mooring in flood areas.

I'll just stick with my house on the top of a hill, I should be fine until a 200 metre high tsunami hits southern australia

Nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714536

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 21:01

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 21:01
Nick,

Have seen a few of those with severe underscoring just from Stormwater runoff.
There was also one with the incorrect concrete depth that had a car jack go through the garage floor, luckily no one was hurt.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 714537

Follow Up By: Ifeellikeanewscreenname (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 21:12

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 21:12
oh, serious use of the shift - key to give you a lot of _____________

oh, maybe erosion of the foundations....
my garage has a bit of that happening. lucky i didn't get a building inspector for it!!! ;-)
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714542

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 08:05

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 08:05
Can't you just imagine the bleating and chest beating from the land developer mob who will be claiming Nanny state etc because it was a one in a million years event etc. Look at the way developers are reacting to the demands for Councils to stop coastal development.
FollowupID: 714577

Follow Up By: Rob! - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:02

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:02
Yep, I think developers' "contributions" have a lot to answer for.

Often they "donate" to both of the major parties.
FollowupID: 714601

Reply By: StormyKnight - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 19:19

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 19:19
The other issue is it can rain upstream yesterday & then flash flood where you are tonight!
AnswerID: 442457

Reply By: blue one - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 20:25

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 20:25
The other one is don't camp under gum trees
AnswerID: 442467

Follow Up By: dazza62 - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 22:02

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 22:02
How true.....

Nothing worse than Koala poop on your tent LOL.

Seriosly though, I have seen perfectly good gum trees drop limbs without any warning.

Good advise blue one.
FollowupID: 714551

Follow Up By: Farquo - Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 21:57

Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 21:57
Drop bears can be as much of a problem as koala poop ;)
FollowupID: 714772

Reply By: pepper2 - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 22:01

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 22:01
there are two cottages recently built at sussex inlet nsw that are the same as floating pontoons used for boats ie thick polystryene foam under to give floatation and a vertical pole at each corner idea is the cottages rise up the poles as water rises all services are flexible and remain intact,might be more of these to come.
AnswerID: 442488

Follow Up By: Member - Ted - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 22:20

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 22:20
Pepper2, if they use vertical posts, they will need to be tall enough to cover the highest tide mark. Quite a few pontoons floating down the Bris River on the news footage didn't meet the flood level and lifted off the pole.

Cheers

Ted
FollowupID: 714557

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 05:11

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 05:11
Bonz
I feel sorry for all the devistation, and the loss of life.
But I am wondering as people, do we ever learn !

Facts of life

1) Build in trees, you will eventually get burnt out
2) Build on river flats, you will get eventually get flodded.
3) Camp under limbs of big trees, you will get squished.

But still we go on and do it.

Can't always blame the town planners, either, as they may well block things, for safety reasons, and to save lives, and the developers, and the private citizens will go and get it all over ruled...

Is it all about how much money you have ?

Is it about beating the authorities, and not about common sence ?

I hope not , but some how another face of life, the devistation conditions we have witnessed over the last 5 - 10 years will be back, and well before I leave the plannet.

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 442506

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 16:55

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 16:55
Bonz, I remember seeing a sign along the Oodnadatta track suggesting that
"if you intend camping in the creek, make sure you put a lifejacket on over your pyjamas, because you could finish up in Lake Eyre."
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 442578

Reply By: TTTSA - Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 09:46

Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 09:46
Hey Bonz, just ask Andrew and Jen about camping in a dry creek bed in the Flinders Ranges a few years ago, ended up sitting on the roof of the cruiser if I recall the story correctly.
Cheers
AnswerID: 442659

Sponsored Links