wet season

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 09:02
ThreadID: 83878 Views:2004 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I know there a lot of variables to this question but…..
I understand there has been an unusual amount of rain already this wet season. Does this mean
i) the wet season is likely to finish early, or
ii) there is likely to be a lot more water around and things at the top end of WA are more likely to take longer top open up.
We are looking at travelling over to WA once everything opens up again after the wet. When do you think this is likely to be?
We are travelling in a caravan.
I am trying to decide whether to commit to staying in Darwin until the end of June and am trying to ascertain how much extra time it would add to our trip by doing this.
Cheers everyone
Clint
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 09:29

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 09:29
LOL. How long is a piece of string? LOL

Seriously though, all the forecasters are predicting a long wet. This would be one year I'd stay in Darwin.

AnswerID: 442968

Reply By: Gary.L - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:22

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:22
The bitumen roads are open for most of the wet, although the Vic River can close the roads for a few weeks.

The Gibb River Road will be closed for sometime yet. Based on past years, it should be open by May, but like last year, the roads can be closed anytime of the year if rainfall occurs ( I believe some campers where stranded at Kalumburu for an extended time that some chose to load vehicles onto the barge to Wyndham)

Good site for current road conditions for WA is http://standards.mainroads.wa.gov.au/NR/mrwa/internet/realtime/TRC/RegionalConditions.asp?1
AnswerID: 442979

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:00

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:00
Hi Clint and Chell

I think that ever since 2007, some has fallen in the Kimberley during June - when it is normally guaranteed to be dry. The past twelve moths have shown us how unpredictable and extreme our climate can be right across the land. I live in a previously safe winter rainfall area; rain usually mid May for four or five months with dry summers. Last winter was very dry - light showers only and few and far between during normal winter months, and so far during January, we have had two days of rainfall heavier than any day last year. For a long time, climate change predictions have been telling us that the north will get wetter and the south drier, and that times it falls will become more out of season.

Expect the unexpected. Make your plans around what you want to do, and be prepared to adapt. You can never know when the rain will come and how much.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 442998

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:01

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:01
PS: Kununurra is a good place to 'sit it out' during any unseasonal rain, and plenty of work usually available in tourist season.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 715056

Reply By: 3gobush - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 23:51

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 23:51
Firstly there has not been an unusual amount of rain this wet, it seems fairly normal to me and the local Binjing mob.

Talking to them tonight we have worked out that it should start to slow down in March and like 2 years ago it should be OK to travel in early to mid May.

I follow Black fella way not that science mob, we have been here all our lives, not 5 minutes like them.

Safe travels.
AnswerID: 443048

Sponsored Links