Tyre pressures for jayco out back

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:22
ThreadID: 83910 Views:12899 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I've just purchased a jayco swan outback 08 model and I'm just wondering what is the best tyre pressures for on road and off road ( being dirt roads ) ?

Cheers Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 13:04

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 13:04
Depends Rob on what type of tyre you are running, I guess.

AnswerID: 443100

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 14:01

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 14:01
Robertj

I use, as a start point, 35 psi on road and start at 25 psi on gravel/dirt . This latter figure is for reasonable gravel but rougher I go down to 23 psi. Obviously, with the lowered pressure the speed needs to reduce.

If the trailer tyres and shock absorbers are still getting quite warm at lower pressure, slow down. It is also advisable to check hub and shock absorber temperature each time you check the tyres.

On rougher conditions I usually stop at least each hour unless I have noticed increasing heat build up.

There is a fair bit of trial and error until you find the balance.

Have fun

DW
AnswerID: 443107

Reply By: PradOz - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 22:55

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 22:55
i just watched something on this on foxtel. they suggested this: get 2 pencils and place one each side of a tyre on the car. the distance between them should be 30cm for normal on road use (think i am remembering this right but happy for corrections) then do same for the trailer/van. the distance should be same as the tow vehicles for the terrain you are on providing you have same size tyres on vehicle and trailer. if not adjust up/down proportionally (eg if tyre on trailer is 20% smaller than car, reduce measurement to be equal to 80% of cars) there is a website somewhere that discusses this all in great detail. i have had to replace our computer due to a meltdown so have lost the details of that website. But it discusses using measurement rather than psi etc for each type of terrain/situation. maybe someone can point you to it and you can see where to from there. i find it depends who you talk to regarding how much air to put in. i have met many who use a high number (eg 60psi etc and many that use a lower amount eg 35psi. I havent read about any of them in the paper having accidents because of tyre pressure so guess they all have some degree of being ok.

obviously this all depends on so many factors, tyre types, sizes, vehicle type, sizes, trailer weight etc, terrain etc, towing conditions, driving habits etc, so a lot of trial and error in some methods, but using either the 4 or 6 psi rule maybe a helpful starting point for you. good luck with it and happy camping....
AnswerID: 443167

Follow Up By: PradOz - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 22:57

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 22:57
in case i havent described it very well (i am getting tired - yawn) think of the 30cm as the length of the tyres footprint on the road and then go from there, cheers
FollowupID: 715235

Reply By: MarkSom - Thursday, Jan 27, 2011 at 17:01

Thursday, Jan 27, 2011 at 17:01
Hi Rob, Have a jayco dove outback, run tyres @ 30 psi, swan wud be heavier so 35 road sounds right, 30 on mine suits road (no wander) ok for good dirt roads too ( no bounce). Enjoy yours, luv ours... Cheers Mark
AnswerID: 443217

Reply By: Robertj - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 17:27

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 17:27
Thanks all for the replies,

I've still got the original tyres on it, which are the savero A/T plus 15 inch. I'll be mostly doing toad work but the occasional dirt road.
Thisnk I'll try the above pressures and see how I go.

Thanks again for the replies

Cheer a Rob
AnswerID: 443449

Sponsored Links