62 Series 3F

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 20:10
ThreadID: 8405 Views:1507 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday,
I have a 62 wagon with a pretty tired 3F of around 429K km.
I,d like to get a replacement engine and am looking for either a complete 3F to rebuild or some advice on options. I need my car every day so rebuilding the one thats in it is not a favored option.
Thanks in advance
Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 01:56

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 01:56
Andy some of the larger engine rebuilders keep them in stock for owners in your situation.Out of curiosity I rang some engine reconditioners in WA and got prices around $2500 plus fitting for a fully remanufactured motor that complies with the Australian Standards for a 1988 3F motor.I think fitting was about $500
A couple of places I rang tried to tell me it costs at least $4000 to do it properly but when I asked what they did for the extra money they were vague and told me it would have to be sent "east" and takes 2-3 weeks.The $2500 price was from someone I have dealt with on 2 previous occasions and would have no qualms about doing so again.
Its usually quicker if you deal with someone who can supply and fit their own product.Avoid going to someone who will just order the motor in and add their % on top and take twice as long to install.
AnswerID: 36709

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 20:31

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 20:31
Gday Andy
I sold a 3f to a guy down your way for 300 bucks complete. You shouldnt have any trouble locating one as they are a good candigate for a chev transplant. See if you can get hold of a 80 series 3f, as they had water to oil coolers and lighter bottom ends/flywheels etc, plus the valves didnt seem to burn out on them as often either.
Another option would be for you to refresh yours with rings and hone/bearings/head service, which would cost little if your motor is still in a good way (not smoking all the time/using oil), but i would recommend you try to get another to do that to whilst driving yours :-)
Try putting a wanted add in the 4wd section of ebay.com.au. Thats where i sold mine.
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 36773

Follow Up By: ross - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 22:07

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 22:07
Dozer at 420 000klm putting rings in and patching the old one up while he runs around doing another motor up is just nonsense.It would cost him just as much to do it right the 1st without the downtime of 2 engine swaps and all the running around.He is obviously a man who makes his money by being mobile and needs a drive in drive out solution.
FollowupID: 26590

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:56

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:56
I agree, i said or meant to say these are the options...do a ring job on yours, reco another or get a good runner.... and the best one is to source a preloved motor and do it up at your leisure b4 pensioning off the old one. Sorry if i was a little vague
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 26619

Sponsored Links