2003 4.2Tdi GU fitted with By-pass filter

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 20:31
ThreadID: 8407 Views:2393 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All Just wondering if anyone out there has fitted up a by-pass oil filter on a 2003 4.2Tdi GU I know where to pick the supply line up with a T piece out of the oil pressure sender. Where to place the drain line back into the motor is the problem, the only place I see is the turbo drain pipe, which means pulling it off and bronzing a fitting onto the drain, not unless someone has done something different. Any ideas would be welcome

Cheers Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ed - Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 22:13

Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 22:13
G'day Steve,
I'm currently in the process of fitting a Frantz filter to my '99 4.2TD...
If you have a look on the side of the block just behind & just below the rear of the alternator, you'll see a plug ( 3/8" PT I think?? ) which I believe gives access to the oil return gallery... Pretty sure this was for the oil return from the alt.-mounted vac. pump on earlier 4.2's...
I'm sure (I hope) someone will correct me if I'm wrong...
Regards, Ed. C.
AnswerID: 36696

Follow Up By: Ed - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 01:10

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 01:10
Yep, just been & checked.. The 3/8" (BSPT, I presume) threaded hole mentioned above does indeed access the oil return gallery..

ATTN. Steve >> The thread on the oil pressure sender unit on the Nissan 4.2 is 1/8" BSPT (28 TPI).. The fittings supplied with the Frantz filter are 1/8 NPT (27 TPI).. They are close, but um, NO CIGAR!! If you attempt to join BSPT to NPT, then the threads will be, how you say, FUBAR!!!
Make sure you have the appropriate T-piece !!! (and of course, the fitting for the block)...
(Just thought I'd bettermention it)....

As well as the alternative mentioned by Stan (below) for the oil return, Frantz can also supply a swivel fitting which goes into the oil filler cap, so you have a few choices...

Regards, Ed. C.
FollowupID: 26532

Reply By: STAN - Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 22:17

Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 22:17
Hi Steve, I recently fitted a Frantz by-pass filter to my Pajero TDI . The pick up is from a T piece under the oil sender unit. The return is into the side of the sump above the oil level. The sump does not have to be removed to do this. You can purchase a self tapping fitting from Frantz , which leaves an 1/8 BSP female thread in the sump to connect your oil drain to. Hope this helps Stan
AnswerID: 36697

Reply By: David N. - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:35

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:35
Yep, agree with Ed on that.
I have been using Frantz on oil AND fuel on my '90 GQ TD42 since new- and my sons '81 diesel Gemini since new. Great results- both motors are virtually as good as new with greatly extended oil changes.
The old Gemini is heading nudging 400,000klms with never a spanner having touched the engine itself- can't of course say the same for radiator, alternator, and brakes. But the clutch is original!
IMHO bypass filtering is well worth the effort.... though once fitted it is less effort as the extended oil changes save a lot of work... only takes a few minutes to service the bypass element.
And for those who go down the Frantz route.... I modify mine by putting a small screw in the top of the can which allows the oil to drain out faster before servicing. Makes life a lot easier and less messy! Unscrew the screw an hour or so before servicing.... (leave the car keys with the filter to avoid embarrasment) then refit the screw just before removing the filter can to replace the element. -easy!
Cheers
AnswerID: 36724

Reply By: floyd - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 18:36

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 18:36
What is a Frantz filter and how do they work? Are they expensive? D othey fit a Hilux 3 litre?
AnswerID: 36763

Follow Up By: Ed - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 20:50

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 20:50
floyd,
go to www.wefilterit.com (perhaps someone can post a link??), and all will be explained better than I can do here...
Up-front cost will leave you not much change from AU$300 (got mine direct from US, don't know if anyone is distributing them here), but with the ability to extend oil & OEM filter change intervals, the long term cost savings would be substantial.. Not to mention the obvious benefit of having CLEAN OIL in ones' engine all the time...

Regards, Ed. C.
FollowupID: 26579

Follow Up By: David N. - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:00

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:00
Also, the Frantz lasts a lifetime... you just change it from car to car. My oldest Frantz (33years) has been on about seven or eight cars. To really get the best out of it you need to have some oil analysis performed to work out how often to change your oil. I eventually settled on 20,000 klm oil changes on my GQ TD 42 and do the elements every 2,000 klms which as I said takes a couple of minutes and I can do anywhere including in the bush.
There is also Filter technology (Australian)
Filter Technology
FollowupID: 26628

Sponsored Links