Front air lockers are "awsome"

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 21:20
ThreadID: 8409 Views:2491 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Finally i got to try out my front air locker.. This weekend we attacked some pretty big sand dunes and my car was like two different cars with and without using the locker..
Out of the 5 cars in out group there were 3 petrol patrols (3 and 4.2 litre with carbies) and a 2.8litre hilux... Well i wont even mention the hilux because it was hopeless, then there was my vehicle next and the other patrols shone in these dunes... The petrol patrols were almost unstoppable.... Then with my locker turned on it made my car outdo the other patrols like they were outdoing me before hand... There was a track up one of the dunes which had seen a lot of vehicles try but all the tire tracks stopped 3/4 the way up.... I gave it two shots and straight over......
So what i am trying to say is that lockers work great in soft sand and steer fantastically around corners with car under full power which contradicts what loads of people say.....
There was no delayed steering at all...._____________________________________________

Reply By: Matt M - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:50

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:50
Its great to hear of the Patrol doing well in the sand. I usually spent most of my time in Stockton beach pulling patrols out of it with my Isuzu MU!

ha ha!
AnswerID: 36713

Follow Up By: mudgutz - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 19:49

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 19:49
yeah i dont think that pulling out patrols at STOCKTON is a good thing to measure a patrol by ......me thinks that you had to pull them out becuase the driver at stockton had no idea not the truck couldnt do the job.......mate i have pulled out sierras bogged at stockton and what does that say..... it says most of the blokes at stockton have trucks with ability that far exceed that of the driver.....pull up the clowns at stockton and ask where else they four wheel drive and i bet 80 percent have never seen anything else but stockton
FollowupID: 26577

Follow Up By: Matt M - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 20:55

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 20:55
Ha HA HA!!! I knew I would get a bite with that one! Yes It was a stocker old GQ and with the origional skinny steels dont exactly bagg out in the sand. Poor bugger had to stay on the dune road while the MUs (three of them) played in the dunes!!

I couldnt agree more though, there is soo much more out there than stockton and it doesnt take too long before I get sick of dunes and trying to find one that will stop a MU! I much prefer to be climbing up a twisty, rocky or muddy hill climb at Sugarloaf or similar!

But to each their own, just do something eh, get out there!
FollowupID: 26581

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:25

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:25
G'day Voxson, on loose surface the steering is not affected with front diff lock as long as you have grip and slip if you see what I mean.

Get onto a hard surface and see how much the steering is affected then when you get no slippage of one wheel.

AnswerID: 36716

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 17:14

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 17:14
Gotta agree with Tony on this...my first experiance with front lockers on was on a steep, hard surface with a reasonably tight right hand turn at top. It is not a nice feeling to be going straight ahead when you want to go in a turn. I would say the sand had a cancelling effect on the locer that you will definitely notice on firmer surfaces.
FollowupID: 26570

Follow Up By: wheeler - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:00

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:00
So if you were on a hard surface, why did you have the locker engaged? Thats the whole point of the air locker. You turn it off when not required.
FollowupID: 26615

Follow Up By: Tony - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:48

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:48
Wheeler, one reason could be as you finish the climb and turning at the same time it starts to flatten out. It's a matter knowing when to unlodck the front, cause if still turning under power it will remain locked in until you straighten up.

FollowupID: 26617

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:50

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:50
Wheeler...no the 'point' of lockers is to lock...I often use them when ROCK climbing...I think you will find that almost everyone who has lockers on would use them on hard surfaces at some time. Hard can still have slip. I certainly arent going to try disengaging when I have just rock hopped up a steep incline and am more focussed on the turn at the top.
FollowupID: 26661

Sponsored Links