Galaxy Caravans

Submitted: Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 12:07
ThreadID: 84106 Views:5305 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at buying a Galaxy Caravan twin axle 18.5 mtr Unit.

The manufactures say it will travel on just about any road in Aus, Gibb river rd for Example.

Would like feed back of any kind, Any Advice welcome

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lee B (VIC) - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 12:56

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 12:56
Hi

We had a Galaxy 18ft poptop. Worst road we took it over was to Tibooburra. Very rough gibber.
Not sure about the GBR as it varies a lot but the Galaxy was well made and comfortable and all the ones I have looked at seem to be of the same quality.
My view would be that the Galaxy is as good as any non off-roader.
I have travelled some of the GBR and at the time the Galaxy would have coped but as said, it does change.

Happy travelling

Lee B.
AnswerID: 444150

Follow Up By: fast eddyv - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 15:48

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 15:48
Thanks for that, i am having the same rims and tyres fitted to the van as the car.
I will treat the tyres on the van as the car and adjust tyre pressure etc... to suit that includes speed
FollowupID: 716280

Reply By: Member - Niss42 - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 13:11

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 13:11
G'day Eddie.
Van will be fine if you drop the tyre pressures and speed.
Only problem would be the length 18.5 mtr ????
Cheers,
niss32
AnswerID: 444153

Follow Up By: fast eddyv - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 15:44

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 15:44
Change Mtr to Feet Thats better
FollowupID: 716279

Reply By: Cruiser .- Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 13:11

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 13:11
fast eddyv

" 18.5 mtr" Wow, thats a big van, LOL

Dont you wish there was an edit facility

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 444154

Follow Up By: fast eddyv - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 15:33

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 15:33
18.5 ft
FollowupID: 716277

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 14:34

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 14:34
Hi Fast Eddyv,

We have a Galaxy 18' tandem and we travel extensively in western Queensland moving from station to station.

Firstly lets get it straight the Galaxy Off Road is not an off road van. Certainly it has the Simplicity suspension which is excellent and it has the cut away tail for exit angle. It has the raised chassis which gives great clearance BUT...

These are a high clearance caravan designed for use on a range of roads from highway to formed gravel. Certainly if you are careful they will handle a deal of corrugation. They are not designed and built to compete with say Bushtracker or Sunland Patriot and the interior is far from the construction levels needed to handle anything out of the ordinary. eg. You would need to be very careful on say the GRR or the road into Corbold Gorge (near Georgetown Q)

Now having said all that if you are buying there are some items you need to check:-

1. That the protection plates on the water tanks are both fitted correctly and not with the shielding to the rear.
2. That the wiring to the electric brakes is secured and shrouded and not hanging in loose loops to be torn away by the first dead roo you run over.
3. That the microwave space has venting. There was none on ours and the microwave would cease to operate after about 5 minutes and you had to wait until the unit cooled before proceeding.
4. That the drawer and cupboard catches actually engage when closed otherwise you will have goodie all over the floor after the first big bump.
5. Get underneath and check that all plumbing holes through he floor are sealed to prevent dust entry. Also the wheel arches for the same reason.
6. Get, in writing, an assurance that the caravan is fully insulated. Ours was not but we only found out when it became necessary to have the outer cladding removed. Without insulation they can be a fridge in cold climes and a cooker in hot.
7. Check the bases on the drawers and be careful not to put too much weight in them or you may have the bases collapse.
8. If it has a front boot it will leak and this applies to the front window if they are still using Camec frames. Keep a sharp eye on leaks and discolouration on the interior panelling - particularly around the front window which is somewhat hidden by the curtains - as any leakage around the window or boot can result in dry rot in the frame. Check Rogues Gallery in Caravanners Forum for more details.
9. Be careful when filling the water tanks. The filling line can come adrift from the external fitting and allow water to just run in under the beds and cupboards.
10. Ensure you get a current weighbridge docket at the time of delivery which shows the van details. Don't accept a generic weight.

Now all of that applies to almost every new van on the market in some degree so be aware.

Again these are NOT OFF ROAD caravans in my opinion but with care you can take them on most of our roads - maybe not Queensland roads at present - with some confidence.

Kevin J

AnswerID: 444164

Follow Up By: fast eddyv - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 15:43

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 15:43
Thanks for that, some Good info, i already have a list of questions to ask prior to build of which i will add your lot.
When we where looking they had me and my 100 kgs hang of cupboards and other items, and in different vans. I was very impressed.
I could not do that in a J -- co.

Thanks again any other thoughts please advise.
FollowupID: 716278

Sponsored Links