The Nutcracker...........

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 23:28
ThreadID: 8412 Views:1895 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Went for a drive today out through a newish track just out of Alice Springs on Owen Springs Station. Very pretty drive through Lawrence Gorge. The track was easy and apart from some soft sand in the Hugh River, an easy drive. On the way back my mate Bill, who very kindly let me drive his Rangie Auto, showed the way to what he callsthe Nutcracker hill. It is a bit of a jump up over a steep hill and scalloped out badly. This '89 Range Rover Vogue Auto just crawled up the hill effortlessly using low range 1st and having the auto centre difflock in operation. Not having driven a RR offroad before I was suitably impressed. Engine braking down the hill wasn't too bad either.

Now I wonder if my proposed (purchase)Nissan GQ Turbo Diesel Auto would be so profiecient in this kind of country?
Cheers,Willem

Always going somewhere
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:35

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:35
Willem,
I have just arrived at work. Thanks very much for reminding me of where I'd rather be. Which road out of town do you take for Owen Springs?Bob
AnswerID: 36712

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:21

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:21
Bob,

Have nice day at work.

You may access Owen Springs from the Stuart Highway 66km south of Alice or 50km west of Alice on the Larapinta Road towards Hermannsburg. The track is well signposted. Will be submitting a trek note to this site soon.

Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 26541

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:24

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:24
What aspect are you getting at Willem. Are you now thinking about a Rangie or is it the auto trans that has you deliberating ???
Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 36715

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:35

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:35
Willie

How many times do we have to tell you blokes??
The Poms actually know what they're about ;-DRosco
FollowupID: 26535

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:29

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:29
Cocka and Rosco,

It is more that I would like to know how a turbo diesel auto will perform in the rough stuff. These extreme tracks are really only a one off for me as I have been there and done that. I do like the smooth operation of the auto and also the grunt of the small V8 but overall the Range Rover has too many quirks for my liking. Now if I could lay my hands on a Diesel Rangie I might consider the change !! There were a few made fitted with a 3.9Isuzu engine..I think. I actually hate the smell of diesel and the fumes affect my asthma but I am thinking of economy and availabiltiy of fuel in my future trips into the outback.
Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 26542

Follow Up By: duncs - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 14:50

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 14:50
Willem

The RR is released in Britain with a TD5 and auto. Ibelieve some have found there way to Oz but I'm not sure about them being brought in by Range Rover.

With all due respect ot the G60 I think the RR with TD5 would have a little more grunt.

Then again the Patrol 3l Diesel Auto seems to work pretty well and for the price of the RR you could buy 2.

Duncs
FollowupID: 26562

Reply By: Member - Ross - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:05

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:05
Willie

Not sure about the Isuzu ... had one in a County many years back and thought of it highly, but never heard of them in Rangies hooked up to auto. Could well be though. Generally they are the smaller TDi's. But I may well stand corrected.

The combo doesn't stack up well in the power stakes... but if that's not what you're after they could well suit you nicely.

The isuzu was a typical light truck engine .. heaps of torque low down but not exactly your tyre burning screamer.Rosco
AnswerID: 36730

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 17:41

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 17:41
Willem i have a 3.0ltd auto patrol & it handles the tough stuff fine only drawback is
engine braking so i'm putting lower ratios in transfer caseRegards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 36752

Reply By: floyd - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 18:32

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 18:32
between 1980 and 1990 Range Rover had an optional 4 cylinder turbo diesel and it was arount 2.4 litres from memory. At the time it was more expensive than the V8 and only came in a few colour options. White being the most common. You used to see the odd one on the road but I have not seen one in Australia for a few years now. The rear has 2.4 TD on the tailgate. I drove a couple of friends ones and they went pretty well. Held 100 with no probs. Went a bit slower with a load but the best thing about them was that they got about 45 miles per gallon everywhere. My mates one got well over 1000 kms out of the standard rangie tank. Not sure if they came out in an Auto. Due to the fact that they hardly sold any in Australia I would expect that parts for this engine would be as rare as hens teeth. Look at the back of the boxy Range Rovers and see how many turbo diesels you see in a month nowdays. I bet you see none.
AnswerID: 36762

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 06:35

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 06:35
Thanks for thst info, Floyd....I remember seeing one diesel Rangie in the NT sometime in the 1980's. The have been conversions to a 2OOTD I have heard of but my question was only a general one. As I said before, the Range Rover has too many quirks for my liking. I can't fit in to any of the other Landrover products so I am going to have to buy either a Nissan or a Toyota.
Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 26611

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 21:34

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 21:34
Willem,
I have a 1986 Rangie and as you mention the offroad performance is outstanding, got it cheap and stuck a rear air locker in, goes very well. If there where no negatives I would have one hands down, oil leaks, water performance, (the lack of), fuel economy, if i filled up the whole of the inside I would be lucky to a 1000 klms out of a tank full, I drempt about it once and then woke up to reality, handles like a blamange, better with the OME suspension. It's a great bush hack, great fun, wouldn't sell it I know that much. The inside is also smallish incomparrison to the GU or the cruiser. Working on it myself helps things work out. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 36780

Follow Up By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 00:08

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 00:08
Hi Martyn, What about having to lift the bonnet each time you stop to let the motor cool down?

Regards

Mark
FollowupID: 26603

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 06:45

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 06:45
Martyn,
My mate is on his second RR which has 240K on the clock.....For him it is more of a hobby to to work on it and to get things working properly. He does go bush from time to time. He has found the Vogue very frustrating especially in the electrical department as his has electric everything including a sunroof. He has just about cured all the oil leaks(they come standard with all Landrover products :-). Recent problem has been the in-tank fuel pump. He finally got advice that a VN-VP Commodore fuel pump would work externally and that is what he did and it works well. On a recent trip over some very badly corrugated tracks the windscreen slipped downwards in its rubber and left an open gap at the top where hot air and dust poured in. It is at Windscreens Obrien today to be repaired.
Cheers,Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 26612

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 19:17

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 19:17
how did he cure the oil leak problems????
oh just remembered he emptied the sump/gearbox and difsback by popular demand
:-)
FollowupID: 26679

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 06:21

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 06:21
Haha....Diamond.......he replaced the seals which were leaking. It is actually quite strange lying under a Landrover product and not seeing any oil drips.
CheersWillem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 26721

Sponsored Links