purchasing 79 series landcruiser ute

Submitted: Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 15:38
ThreadID: 8420 Views:20116 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
looking to purchase a 79 series landcruiser ute. am i making a mistake? wish to purchase with the standard 1HZ diesel non turbo [for longer engine life, non turbos seem to last longer]and factory diff locks. is there a better option? wish to keep this vehicle for 5 to 8 years, problem free, with proper servicing. i realize there are no guarantees in life, but many owners have expressed positive results. any opinions? regards, robert
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joshinthecity - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 16:09

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 16:09
Exellent choice.
I drive a Patrol, and if I was you, I'd be looking at the TD. Have you driven the non-turbo Troopie?

If you're looking for a robust and long lasting machine, you'd be hard pressed to do better than a Troopie or a 4.2 Patrol.
You can't go wrong mate...

Josh.

AnswerID: 36743

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 17:01

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 17:01
A turbo dos'nt mean the engine wont last as long so get one with turbo if you can afford it as turbo'd go heaps better & use less fuel.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 36746

Reply By: ross - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 17:28

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 17:28
Rob being the owner of a one owner 79 turbo troopie means that you will have potential buyers eating out of your hand when it comes time to sell in 8 years time.They are much sought after.
No known problems with shortened life that I have heard of
AnswerID: 36751

Reply By: stevesub - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 18:18

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 18:18
We have a Y2K 78 series Troopy with non-turbo 1HZ. Now with 175,000km and going well with no problems at all. Would recommend one anytime.

No so the Freelander that we have - defintely recommend NOT to buy one.
AnswerID: 36759

Reply By: mudgutz - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 19:33

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 19:33
they are a good thing but i have a mate who had to have the front inner axle seals replaced at 80000 ks i suspect that this is his driving .....tears into water at a great rate of knots, not good for axle seals etc.........do you plan to carry a lot of weight.......because good weight carrying capacity equals leaf spring rear which the 79 has.......if not have a look at the 4.2 patrol ute which is now available with a coil rear as well as the traditional leafs......its a much nicer ride than the leaf sprung rears on the 79 and the leaved patrol.........and you could afford that turbo in a patrol for the same money as a cruiser with no turbo.......listen to me a cruiser man telling him to have a look at the patrol ....I have driven the coil patrol in a 4.2 td cab chas recently and was impressed with the comfort and the guts it had.......you will need a kidney belt everytime you drive a leaved rear end ute with no load on......tip when the dealer asks if you want an alloy or a steel tray take the steel at least you will have a little weight over the ass when empty (critical for good traction with a bigger truck off the road)
AnswerID: 36767

Follow Up By: thomo - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 20:56

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 20:56
mudgutz did you find it feels like your sitting in a hole in the patrol.
FollowupID: 26582

Follow Up By: mudgutz - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 21:58

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 21:58
lol..........nah mate at 6'3 and 120kgs plus hence the knickname mudgutz it would have to be a big big seat and mounted way low down in the cab for me to feel like im in a hole......but a smaller bloke may feel that way cause the seat is plenty big enough for me......one of the reasons i like the bigger cars/trucks
FollowupID: 26588

Follow Up By: thomo - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 17:37

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 17:37
im 6'2, ive got a 75 series and a mates got a gu tray and i feel like im sitting in a hole compared to mine cant see over the bonnet.
FollowupID: 26670

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 22:32

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 22:32
Robert,

We have 2 79 series tojo's here at present. One a turbo, the other n/a. The difference between the 2 is quite apparent. The turbo is a little noiser in the engine(direct inj.), with heavier feel to g'box and clutch. The n/a feels almost wimpish because the gearbox and clutch are so soft. Almost like a Corolla.

As for buying one, go TURBO, you wont be sorry, for many of the reasons already stated by others.

Problems? A 79 n/a ute we got rid of early this year, with 100K clicks on it, had had a rebuilt g'box and diff, all under warranty, in 2 years. The turbo above, came home last Friday, after the front diff was rebuilt in the 'Isa, under w'ty, @ 32k clicks. The n/a ute, is driven by all manner of drivers, and as yet, hasn't put a tyre wrong! But it has had a few punctures @ 25k clicks. The above vehicles are driven on a station in west Qld, so would have a much harder life than most personal vehicles, even though they are serviced regularly.

I like the white turbo's, but those maroon turbo RV's look the ducks guts too. Yeah, a turbo Rv would look good.

Hooroo...
AnswerID: 36791

Reply By: chopper - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:48

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:48
The 79 utes are great and as mentioned above you'll have plenty of buyers in years to come.

I would go the turbo myself, no more unreliable than any other motor or vehicle.

If you want coils all round have a look at patrol ST utes, good trucks also.

Don't let anyone talk you out of either of these two very solid workhorses, its gonna come down to aesthetics and dollars for you
AnswerID: 36855

Reply By: Dunedigger - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 19:12

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 19:12
I Have had 2 patrols Table top with 4.2s engines One was non Turbo & the other was turbo'ed but not intercooled. I now have a 79 Turbo and it goes like stink. If you want power got he 79. But from all reports the Patrols are stronger is every other department.

My 79 seems to have a shot LSD already, and I have not non much Off Road and only done 8000Km. I will be taking it to the dealse soon to get it checked out.

I would buy a 79 again just for the engine !

BTY The driving position for the 79 is great and MUCH beter that the patrol Drivers seat is more comfortable too. The ride is rougher untill you load it up with 500 Kg then it is good.

Dunedigger
AnswerID: 37054

Reply By: Stewbag - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:29

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:29
im in the same boat looking at either a 79 rv cruiser or a patrol.I have found the patrol has no leg room with the smaller cab.Which seems to only leave the cruiser for me.Anyone know if there are new model utes coming out in 04 from nissan or toyota?
AnswerID: 37135

Sponsored Links