UHF radio location in 2003 Prado?

Submitted: Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 16:26
ThreadID: 8421 Views:2697 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
I've just started to fit all the bits & pieces into the new Prado and have come to a stop when it came to locate the UHF set. As we all know, it's not a good feeling when it comes to drilling holes into your new toy, so it's a big decision. Any one out there with a 2033 Prado got any ideas where to put it ...... be nice? One advantage ... the set is a Uniden duel frequency ( UHF & 27meg. ) so I do'nt have to find two spots. I am leaning towards fitting it in the seat console, although I do'nt think it's the best place but I definately dont want to mount it along side the transmission tunnel.
Any thoughts?
Regards,
Bazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 17:22

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 17:22
Why not on the transmission tunnel? is it because you will leave holes.? If it is don't worry about it as you will probably have the vehicle 4-10 years. All of these plastics with colour and texture can be welded, filled, painted and you wouldn't know the difference. For less than $100 it will be fixed which is nothing over the time you will have the vehicle. Another alternative is to fit either a dashboard pod or roof console but this will cost $250 plus.

Don't put it in the console because you will need to lift the lid and also take your eyes of the road to view it.

Practicallity and safety should win out evry time !

I will be upgrading shortly but bwill go for a remote head GME.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 36749

Follow Up By: Bazza - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:50

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:50
G'Day David,
Thanks for your responce. About the transmission tunnel ........ I'm not worried about the holes in that spot because, as you've said, it's not noticable there and easy to repair, it's because of the way I drive and the position I sit. I tend to lean my left leg to the left, against this area. I've driven a friends rig who has his radio mounted in this position and it drives mad as I'm just not comfortable. As for the dashboard pod or roof console ... I would prefer this method over all, but to date I have not been able to find a manufacturer who is making them for the new model Prado yet. I agree with your position on the console mounting as it is not the best option but I do'nt have too many at the moment. A remote head unit would give more mounting options with mounting but unfortunatly my duel frequency Uniden is not available in that configuration.
Thanks again for your thoughts on this.
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 26618

Follow Up By: wal30_au - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 14:38

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 14:38
David,
You are upgrading soon? You only have a 2002 model now. I am looking to buy a Prado and don't know whether to go for the new one or buy secondhand 2000-2002. Why would you upgrade now? Is there any problems with the previous model.
I would be interested to hear how your current vehicle rates. Regards Darryl
FollowupID: 26889

Follow Up By: Outnabout David (SA) - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 22:05

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 22:05
Daryl,

No problem at all with the old Prado it is just that I have racked up 80K and at the moment book value and trade in value are on the money. In fact I am not really looking forward to having to coordinate and chase up bits to set the new one up and because it is a relatively new model some accessories are limited in there type and availability at the moment.We have so little time to enjoy our land
FollowupID: 26960

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 18:07

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 18:07
Bazza,
I've just been through a similar decision, I didn't want to drill holes in the dash etc, I'm not sure aboutv the layout of the Prado but I mounted my radio (that doesn't sound to good) head in front of the gear sticks at the bottom of the centre console, looks ok and the damage is minimal. I've gone for the GME TX 3400 with the remote head so the impact on the rest of the car is minimal. I don't know if this will help at all.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 36756

Reply By: KIM - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 18:21

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 18:21
Hi Bazza,
I have a UHF set that I have installed just below the steering wheel adjustment. This has worked out well because it's difficult to see from the outside but still ok to use from the inside.
Similar to you I'm going through the fitout stage. Let me know what you have done so far. Up to now I've installed a dual battery system, bull bar, driving lights, roof rack,drawer system with bed extension/frig slide and, underneath that a 60Lt water tank and air pump. Still to come is a snorkel, suspension upgrade and A/t tyres, the latter of which is a bit of a pain at the moment.
Cheers
Kim
AnswerID: 36760

Follow Up By: Bazza - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:06

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:06
G'Day Kim,
Thanks for your thoughts on this, I will look into your suggestion for that mounting position. As for what I've done so far .... zip/diddly. I've only had the thing a couple of weeks and am in the proceess of trying to find the time to get started. I've got spots, radio, GPS, fridge, duel battery system, roof basket, bash plates and other pits and pieces ... and not one item is in the vehicle yet, but it will happen. My first project is to build a removeable storage system with fridge slide so I'm currently checking out different configurations. You sound like your well advanced in your fit-out.
Best wishes and thanks again for the advice.
Regards,
Bazz.
FollowupID: 26620

Reply By: Martin - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 22:52

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 22:52
I slide the centre console box lid forward and mount a TX4400 on the flat surface behind the lid. I've brought the power and antenna leads under the console and they fold between the seat and the console when not in use. I use velcro to hold the radio in place. I use the mounting bracket supplied and have added a half inch thick piece of wood to the bracket to make the radio higher than the console box lid. It's in or out in 30 seconds and is very secure since it's mounted on a horizontal surface. no holes needed.
AnswerID: 36798

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:32

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:32
I understand what your saying about the leg rubbing. As far as consoles and pods go have you looked at http://www.consoles.com/Toyota_Prado9_dash.htm ? You can have just about anything you want made. I had a pod made for my older Prado to fit two radios and found it to be excellent.

BFG's are now available in ATKO 265/70/17 and also Cooper now have a LT All-terrain but you have to make sure you ask for the LT as they also have a passenger rated tyre in the AT configuration.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 36817

Reply By: warrawagine - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 00:36

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 00:36
I HAVE AN 02 PRADO , REMOVE ASH TRAY AND FIT REMOTE HEAD UNIDEN IN .
REMOVE GLOVE BOX AND FIT REST OF TWOWAY UP ON STEEL SUPPORT BRACKET .
AnswerID: 38075

Sponsored Links