Anti-Sway Bars - again-should we fit or not?

Hi all, sorry to bring up this subject again. Need more advise . We are only two weeks away from setting off on our round oz trip (clockwise) with our new van being Crusader x Country 18' full van single axel Control Rider Suspension 2300kg ATM. On our previous van a Coromal duel axel 21' we always used the Hayman reese Levelling bars which we still have. when we picked up the new van the guy who did the hand over said he wouldn't use them as with the highland hitch, it's not necessary , this we understand if we go off road, but my question is should we use them on our highway travel? (some people have said yes use them ) having never had a single axel before we would welcome comments. Our towing vehicle a Landcruiser 100 series TD only goes down 50mm when van is attached.

I know there will be someone out there to put my mind at ease.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 16:21

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 16:21
I would on anything over 1500kg but not off road (normal dirt roads probably)
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 444780

Follow Up By: farouk - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 16:30

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 16:30
Yes you should use them , as you stated the back of the Cruiser went down 50mm so there obviously would be some weight taken off of the front wheels and using the weight distribution bars would rectify this.
They have nothing to do with anti-sway bars, they are a further attachment which ssupplements the Hayman Reece Hitch and Weight Distribution bars.

Farouk
FollowupID: 716913

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 16:27

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 16:27
The short answer is ........ YES.

When you fit them just adjust them so that the vehicle is again level.

With the Hyland coupling you should have no problems but will need the elongated tow ball for easy attachment with or without the Haymen Reece
hitch.
As said above just disconnect the bars when going off road or down tracks for camping etc.
I read somewhere that one should disconnect the bars when going into some of those servo's that have extreme angles.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 444782

Reply By: bjgard - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 17:13

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 17:13
First thing we need to establish if you really mean sway bars as it looks like you are talking about weight distribution bars. 2 different items for different purpose.
Most caravanners use a WDH (Wieight Distribution Hitch) for the pupose of raising the back of the tug and put more weight on the front wheels.
A single axle 2300kg van I would recommend a WDH be used on tar and good dirt roads.

A single axle van of the size your new van I would ALSO use a anti sway bars. There are 2 types and suggest that you look at the Hayman Reece web page and read there to find a solution that suits you. There are probably more than HR anti sway bars made but at least there you can see the types and how they work. Basically a anti sway bars are shock absorbers to slow down the rate of sway.

The ball weight is also an important factor needed to be known.

Barry G
AnswerID: 444784

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 17:18

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 17:18
Sue & Joe
The Weight Distribution Hitch,often referred to as Level Rides & I guess that is what you mean by Anti -Sway Bars will be of more benefit to you on the single axle van than the dual axle van.
If you havn't towed the new van far you will notice a lot more "pitching"in your tow vehicle without them over the dual axle.
Suggestion spend the bit of time to set them up, try them fully adjusted & then with the tension slacked off.
Two more things 1 dont ever apologise for asking advise, 2 Enjoy your trip.
Mike.
AnswerID: 444785

Reply By: Member - Sue & Joe L (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 20:13

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 20:13
Hi all,

Many thanks to you all I will be putting them on in the morning and as advised just bring the level up to were it was . I will also check out the "Sway Bars" on the Hayman Reese web site.

Cheers Joe.
AnswerID: 444808

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 20:31

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 20:31
I reckon you are doing the right thing.

Cheers
FollowupID: 716952

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, Feb 10, 2011 at 09:09

Thursday, Feb 10, 2011 at 09:09
As mentioned by previous writers WD bars and sway bars are two different things. Weight distribution bars help to level out your van and put more weight on the front wheels of your tug. If these are not too satisfactory a pair of air bags would help.
Sway bars on the other hand should prevent you caravan from "fish tailing" BUT before you go spending your good money on sway bars you should check the load distribution of the caravan i.e. most of your heavy stuff should be towards the front of the caravan with 10 to 15% of the weight of the caravan being on the tow ball.
Most "fish tailing" of caravans is caused by bad loading.
Just my two bobs worth
AnswerID: 444896

Reply By: Member - Sue & Joe L (QLD) - Friday, Feb 11, 2011 at 07:18

Friday, Feb 11, 2011 at 07:18
Thanks Ray,
everyone's two bob's worth becomes very valuable ,I will look at our loading.
Cheers Joe.
AnswerID: 445017

Follow Up By: Member - Joel and Michelle (WA - Friday, Feb 11, 2011 at 22:26

Friday, Feb 11, 2011 at 22:26
Hi Sue and Joe, it's Joel and Michelle, the previous owners of ur roof rack and rear wheel carrier:) Glad to hear u r starting ur trip soon- happy and safe travels and maybe we'll see you on the road sometime:)
FollowupID: 717368

Sponsored Links