Engel Refrigerators

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:14
ThreadID: 8438 Views:4300 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
A good product while they are working, but in recent months I have experienced frustrating, costly and ineffective repairs to my six year old Engel. Recognised Engel service agents have failed miserably, with support from Engel non existant. The poor service from two of three service agents (NT and SA) has only been exacerbated by Engel who do not return calls or answer letters or e mails. Has anyone else experienced similar? I have spent $229 so far and facing a further $650 (approx, depends on which dealer) to perhaps get my 39 litre unit operating. I would not purchase another Engel. I took a WAECO and my Engel across Simpson recently. The WAECO performed faultlessly on low power.
The claims in advertising made by Engel do not seem to relate to their current product or service.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bazza - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:54

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:54
G'Day cant,
Recently I purchased a 50ltr Waeco because of the same experiences you've had. Most of my mates seem to have an equal ownership of Engels and Waecos. It seems that the very early Engels performed faultlessly but the latter ones had a few problems. This is to be expected, to some degree, with all makes. I do'nt have a problem with that. But I do have a problem with non-existant service from a number of their agents, and as you experienced, also from Engel themselves. Two of my mates were given the run-around with their units with the faults being blamed on everthing else but the product it's self. These issues with Engel drove me to buy a Waeco. No doubt Waecos also have problems but up untill now I have never heard of complaint regarding the service Waceo provides, actually quite the opposite, most people commend them for their prompt service.
Untill I'm proved wrong ...I'm staying with the Waecos
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 36830

Follow Up By: Time - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 12:20

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 12:20
Bazza,

My 50 l Waeco bleep itself on its first weekend trip. The thing would freeze and not turn off. I took it to the local agent in Canberra, he put it on his test bed over night. Rang me the next day to say it had a couple of problems, he had rung Waeco in Qld and they said don't fix it they will replace with a new unit. This they did within a couple of days. The new unit has performed faulessly over the past year. So you guessed it, I have nothing but praise for their service. I guess only time will tell about the longevity of their product.

Cheers

Buggerlux
FollowupID: 26632

Follow Up By: Karen800 - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 13:04

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 13:04
I have had a Waeco 50l for two years and it has survived numerous trips to the high country, desert country including a crossing of the Simpson. We have an external Urban power pack to run it overnight to avoid the need for a dual battery system - both have been excellent and we are very impressed.
FollowupID: 26634

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 14:58

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 14:58
Not quite the same but I bought a fridge slide for my 60 Litre Engel. It cost me $375 and once I fitted it I thought it was nothing but a heap of crap. When you slide the fridge right out it drops on one side and appears to be precariously balanced. I rang Engel and got nothing but a tough titties response. I swear if he was within driving distance I would have driven there & smacked him one for his attitude.Allyn
Where to next ?
AnswerID: 36848

Follow Up By: Glenno - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:32

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:32
Same here. Their fridge slides are crap. All of the bolts come undone after a few km's on the road. And then the locking mechanisim doesnt lock closed properly. Ive had two and dumped them both. After the ball bearings poured out of the side runner i literally threw it at them. Thankfully the retailer i purchased it through was nice enough but I could see they were having a hard time with Engel.

FollowupID: 26780

Reply By: Troopie - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:51

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:51
Just another for the mix. I've had my Engel for about 3.5 years and had to interact with engel twice in the first 12 months of owning the product. Both times I phoned engel directly as I was not in towns with engel service people and spoke to quite helpful people who immediately addressed the problem.

FYI, the problem was with the 12 volt power lead. The end that plugs into the fridge failed as it protruded directly out of the fridge and was held at a slight angle by the fridge slide - clearly causing fatigue in the lead. A replacment lead had the same problem a few months later. When I spoke to them on this 2nd occaision they indicated they had resovled the problem. Sure enough - when the new lead arrived it had a 90 degree bend in the fridge plug end thus negating the problem with the lead being forced against the slide.

Cheers
AnswerID: 36857

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 18:04

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 18:04
Cant. You say SA agent...who was it?

I have used a SA service agent for a repair which went back for repair again (2nd time) only to fail a 3rd and the ( my ) customer got a brand new engel for his troubles.....I reckon this was good service. (albeit somewhat of an inconvenence at the time)

Are you adelaide based?...if so send an email to wherethefugawi@hotmail.com and i will give the name of agent that I use....

If it wasnt for the frequency drive and swing compressor i'd fix them myself but that's Engel fridges.....Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 36878

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 18:44

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 18:44
Engels are like diesels...if they stuff up you pay through the nose. That is the luxury you have to afford by purchasing an Engel. I have two Engels. One is 18 years of age with a totally stuffed body but it still works faultlessly and has never been serviced. My new Engel is 2 years old and works faultlessly. I have no complaints. I have never had to go back to Engel for repairs so I cannot comment on their service. Just the luck of the draw, I suppose.
Cheers,

Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 36887

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 20:04

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 20:04
im with you on this one willi, i got my engel in about 1982 its never been serviced done countless miles, spent one hell of a lot of time up side down or on its side & has never given me days truoble
FollowupID: 26682

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 22:43

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 22:43
Its like everything you have had bleep service from Engel, others have had it with Waeco.

We went to Rays to look at a Waeco, wife opened the lid it broke off, no not came off BROKE off... needless to say, happy as the NAB with Engel..
AnswerID: 36938

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 06:49

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 06:49
Geez Truckster, How big and strong is your missus????Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 26722

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:16

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:16
Youve seen me, I wouldnt argue with her.. ;)
specially since shes gettin bigger over the next 8 months.. :)
FollowupID: 26774

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:30

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:30
Congrats mate and many more :-)
Cheers,

Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 26779

Reply By: cant - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 23:24

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 23:24
Thanks everyone for responses. Much appreciated. I guess I have been around or aware of Engels virtually since they first came to NT. Their reputation for taking the hard knocks bouncing around Stock Inspectors utes etc is legendary. However, it appears that the older units (say eight to ten years) built the reputation. Not so now as most people who have had trouble seem to have had the new models.
First diagnosis with mine ( six years old) in Adelaide - 12v cord ($60 new cord). Second diagnosis in Alice Springs a couple of weeks later - thermostat ($100). Still unserviceable. Third diagnosis - compressor $450. However, $250 just to look at it on a Saturday morning when I was leaving for Simpson on the Sunday. Didn't have compressor in stock anyway! Not impressed. Fourth diagnosis, compressor and cooling system - $648.50. To provide this quote $69.30. Try dealing with Engel for empathy or even a half decent response - forget it!
AnswerID: 37099

Sponsored Links