Mapping packages for Mac's

Submitted: Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 08:42
ThreadID: 84444 Views:2927 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Ive gone over to the dark side and bought myself an Apple iMAC. Are there any on this forum who run Mac's and if so what mapping packages do you use, given that OziExplorer isn't made for Macs?

I know that I can load a windows emulator such as Parallels and load windows onto the Mac then run Windows software such as OziExplorer, but that's not what I wish to do.

Thanks
WBS
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:08

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:08
Hi WBS, I run Macs but still prefer paper maps.

But here is a Link to mapping resources for Macs that may help you.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 445847

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:52

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:52
Run Windows on it....

(Back to square1)
AnswerID: 445850

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 10:46

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 10:46
Hi
Dont have a Mac but have heard of this one a bit...

MacGPS Pro

and this maybe worth looking at when released ...

CompeGPS Land for Mac OS system

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 445857

Reply By: Member - Aaron L (NSW) - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:37

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:37
Hi WBS
Been there done that!!! I have used/tried/twisted and bent many differnet mapping products on MAC Platform. To Save yourself the time and disappointment. Simply install Windows through Parallels or VMWare and run OziExplorer. Very stable and one of the best products around for mapping/GPS but only runs natiively in windows (ohh and Andriod)

Cheers Aaron
AnswerID: 445866

Reply By: patsproule - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 17:02

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 17:02
WBS - I run Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro, with Windows 7 alongside OSX. This allows me to run OziExplorer when I need it. Best of both worlds.....
AnswerID: 445902

Reply By: Member - warren h (SA) - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 18:09

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 18:09
Hi WBS,

Welcome to the dark side, it aint so bad!

Rember if you do load windows for ozi explorer, you will be open to viruses, which are just about none existant on the Mac platform.

I have a 27 inch Imac and love it, makes a great tele with eye TV loaded, I put it on the bed whilst travelling and have it up and running and on the wireless internet within 5 minutes of stopping, another 5minutes and have a 27 inch television gotta love that.

All the best Warren.
AnswerID: 445910

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 18:17

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 18:17
I corrected your typo for you Warren!

"Rember if you do load windows for ozi explorer, you will be open to applications, which are just about none existant on the Mac platform."

:-)

Sorry, couldn't help my self with a comment like that, especially given the OP subject matter.
FollowupID: 718216

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 18:54

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 18:54
Good one Boobook

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 718219

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 20:17

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 20:17
Hi WBS

I have a mac - well I have lots of them. For mapping I find the Garmin base camp is pretty good. Further I can transfer any maps, tracks or waypoints from Garmin Base camp over to my Garmin GPS.

I do also have Parallels and load up oziexplorer but don't find this any better than basecamp. With the new macs running windows in parallels it is as fast as if you had one of those coal fed windows machines. lol lol lol.

I will often use Google earth to find locations, plot a track and then transfer the .kmz or .kml files over to Garmin base camp. You can use another converting program called Babel for changing formats.

And welcome to the light. (the dark side is behind you)

Cheers

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 445924

Reply By: Outback Survey - Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 02:10

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 02:10
Background:
I have been using & servicing Macs for many years now. An Apple Mac computer service business!
I have several GPS Receivers which I use for outback prospecting and assist our club members to set up correctly. (WGS84 & UTM Eastings & Northings)
Now I am almost ready to retire and start using our Winnebago Alpine to see the other side of Australia.
But, I have recently had an industry tree change and worked with a couple of Geo Survey & DH Survey companies in the mining industry. Which means I have become quite involved with GPS Receiver equipment. My preferred computing platform is the Apple's OSX but I do use PC's or Virtual PC's from time to time.

To answer your question:
about what software to use for GPS Mapping on the iMac.
I would suggest MacGPSPro version 9. It connects to most receivers via USB. The software will directly open Australian Topo Maps.
I use the GeoScience Australia NatMap Raster 250 Series maps that come on CD or DVD. These .ECW files are highly compressed and the newer version 2008 now contains the geo referencing data which allows the map to be used as a live moving map as you are driving. (providing a gps receiver is attached to the Mac and has a clear sky to pick up the satellites)
The maps can now be joined seamlessly to form one huge map
Seehttp://www.macgpspro.com/

Another product available is Garmin RoadTrip v2 (download from Garmin site)
It can be used with the OZtopo 2.1 Maps available separately on DVD and requires an Unlock Code installed in RoadTrip to use these Australian Maps.

Also:
If you have an iPhone or iPad you can get the MudMap App & use their download Gregorys or iTopo NatMap Maps of the whole of Australia on the iPad with no connection to the 3g phone network required.

Hope this helps all the new Mac users out there!
AnswerID: 447296

Sponsored Links