Fuel Consumption LC 100 (TD) towing TVan

Submitted: Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:14
ThreadID: 84449 Views:4831 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I have spent a fair amount of time searching through the forum but couldn't see the information I was seeking. Apologies in advance if I didn't turn the right rock over.

We are currently planning a trip through the Rudall River NP (WA) in July. The trip will be slow, some soft spots, crawling over very stony tracks and your typical stone/sandy desert country driving.

We will be driving a 2005 LC 100 TD & towing the Murranji. All the liquids will be full - water, main and sub tanks on the LC + five jerries. On top of this normal recovery gear, food and drinks.

As we haven't done a similar trip with the LC/Murranji I would like to hear is anyone can provide some indication of expected fuel consumption for a trip similar to this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Derek
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kanga1 - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:09

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:09
Hi Derek, we also will be heading into Rudall River in the 20's of July this year, Troopy and Tvan, travelling solo at this stage, will keep an eye open for you.
For the learned ones, they will need to know where you are coming from approx kms sightseeing and exit route. Looking at what liquid storage you have, I wouldn't think you would go short. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 445868

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:34

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:34
Hi Kanga,
We will be travelling in a group of up to five vehicles (some still considering offer) and are leaving Newman on Sat 9th July for a couple of weeks.

Pretty much got the route worked out and was interested in hearing what l/100km were getting. Then we can work out what we need to carry from there.

Looking forward to the trip - then I can tick another destination off the 'bucket list'. Still a few more in WA to tick off too.
FollowupID: 718204

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 16:16

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 16:16
Derek, I am going to assume 20l per 100km, to make sure we have enough with a margin for Murphy. We normally get around 16l per 100km towing off bitumen. Might see you out there, bear in mind Mick's suggestion about Parngurr if you think you will go short, cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 718211

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:16

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:16
I would be guessing at 16L/100KMs , will depend on average speed, rpms and stop start frequency. What is your normal towing loaded consumption figures been in the past.?
AnswerID: 445870

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:37

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:37
Hi TF,

The combined rig is a fairly recent addition to the family so our stats are a little skimpy at the moment as we get to know each other. All of our other trips were done in a Diesel Maverick (92) and towing a Trak Shak - disposed of those figures when the new 'children' came along.

Have done a couple of trips albeit the nature of the trip and the configurations were very different hence the question.

I was working on 16l/100km for preliminary calculations.

Ta
FollowupID: 718205

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:18

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:18
hi derek
the quickest way to find the imfo you want above is google it
i just did this by entering

fuel consumption for lc 100td towing camper trailer

and google came up with a smorgasboard of the imfo that you want dating right back several years
i and others have found trolling back through e/o data is very time consuming

where as google will come up in a flash with every thing that has been discussed even on e/o providing that you put in the relevant
search detail as i just did and got results give it a try and you will be rewarded
cheers
barry
AnswerID: 445871

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:39

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:39
There you go, you learn something new every day. I have been dabbling on the net for goodness knows how long using abbreviated search queries.

Cheers
FollowupID: 718206

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 13:10

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 13:10
Derek and Kanga,

Just be aware that in a pinch, fuel is available at Parrngurr (Cotton Creek) to the south of the park and at Punmu to the north. Punmu is a longer slog and I suppose it will depend a lot on your planned routes into and out of the park. It’s bloody expensive though at a minimum of $3.00 per litre.

The road from the north down from Telfer is in excellent condition for the majority of it’s length. This is because it is the major access road for the Kintyre Uranium mine to the immediate north of the park. The sandy, lesser maintained track now commences only a few kilometres above (north) of the Desert Queens Baths turn-off.

I’m presuming that you’re running the 4.2 T/D motor in the hundred. Figures for both our troopies on last years trip was around the 5’s per litre and that was towing an equivalent weight to you. I was closer to 4-5 in the 79 series ute with the V8 diesel. We also did a fair bit of off track work here and there.

Rudall Information

Rudall Blog index

Above links may provide some info for you. It's a beaut spot.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 445879

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 13:37

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 13:37
Hi Mick, our planned route is from Nullagine to Carrawine, the Telfer road down to DQB for a couple of days, then to Tjarra*(#@@%%) Pool, hopefully it will have some water in it, exiting via the Talawana, Billinnooka Walgun rd and on to Newman. Have spent a bit of time lately reading through your Blogs of the Rudall area, so this part of our 4 month trip is a taster for this part of the back yard. Top marks for your Blogs Mick, very helpful. ATB, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 718196

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:44

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:44
Hi Mick,

I have been reading your 'stuff' on your Rudall adventures. Congrats on the detail.

We are looking at heading into the Rudall from the Oakover via Woodie Woodie and eventually hook out through Balfour Downs and weren't planning on going anywhere near Punmu or Parngurr as they were a little off the planned route. Having said that we are checking permit requirements etc just in case.

I don't have route details and/or maps in front of me so that's all from memory.

Thanks for the heads up on fuel use - it is all being stored in the memory bank.

Derek
FollowupID: 718207

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 23:12

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 23:12
Enjoy it boys. It is truly an amazing part of this wide brown land of ours. I'm only regretful that this year is the first since 2006 that I won't be in Rudall. I hope you'll share a bit of your adventures on the EO site on your return.

If you're heading out to Hanging Rock, I found the remnants of a track last year just past Curran Curran (heading west). I believe it to be the track to 3 sisters. If you get an chance to investigate it, please do so and make sure you let us know about it. Could be a potential track into a location that will give access to Camel Valley. You never know. I'll hunt up a coordinate for y'all.

Enjoy. Be safe. I'm extremely envious. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 718244

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 09:47

Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 09:47
Will put that information on the list of places to look at.

Anyway really looking forward to the Rudall - did the CSR 4 years ago and loved the isolation, history, stark beauty, experience and even the serenity of the place. So I expect the Rudall will be a similar experience.

Just reading a book. "The Beckoning West" by Eleanor Smith which is a story of Trotman and the CSR as some preliminary background information.

Speaking of camels!

I was speaking to a mate of mine a couple of weeks ago who used to work for the Agriculture Protection Board (APB) as a 'dogger'. As time moved on he became a trainer etc etc.

Any long story, short the APB had a camel eradication team in the Rudall late last year (?) with shooters working from choppers. At one time they bowled over ~350 camels in 2.5 hours.

I suspect some of the rain up there this year may see an intense breeding season.

FollowupID: 718268

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 13:45

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 13:45
I dont know the roads you are going on but over a 50,000k trip towing a 2800kg van I averaged 17.5l per 100km

It does 10l per 100km solo at speed limit.

Presume you will use more on that trip

AnswerID: 445885

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:45

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:45
Thanks Graham. All useful information helping me to form a reasonable expectation of what we can expect to use.

Cheers
FollowupID: 718208

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:39

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:39
Pulling the Tvan behind our vehicle (same motor as yours) added about 1-1.5 l/100k.
Pulling ours along badly corrugated roads like the Anne Beadell Hwy might add 1 l/100k, but certainly no more. We travel slow with all tyres well aired down.

Having travelled through Rudall River (without the Tvan in 2007), I think Terrafirma's guess of ~16 l/100k would be about right.
AnswerID: 445895

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:48

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 15:48
Hi Phil,

Thanks for that - we certainly are not speed freaks and will enjoy the scenery and experience.

When we did the Canning a few years ago in a different configuration we managed to get through with fuel to spare. I would like to get the balance right between having enough wriggle room and not carrying excess weight.

PS by the way - that is fuel weight
FollowupID: 718209

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 17:12

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 17:12
Derek,
We have similar vehicle to you. Towing our camper trailer with all tanks full at the start we get ~15 - 16L/100k at our leisurely pace. In soft ground and/or tyres aired down we can get up to 20 but so far we have never had more over a fair distance. I am sure it gets much higher for soft parts but over a tank full it averages out.

Enjoy the trip.

cheers
AnswerID: 445903

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 09:38

Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 09:38
Hi Alastair,

Really appreciate the input.

With all of the information I have got here it reinforces the numbers that were floating around in my head.

Another job ticked off and 100 more to go before we head off in July.

Cheers
Derek
FollowupID: 718267

Sponsored Links