Which way do we go????

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 14:57
ThreadID: 8446 Views:2868 Replies:13 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
My partner and I have finally purchased our Jayco Eagle On Road Camper Trailer which we get just before Xmas :-o)

We live in Melbourne and plan on touring around Australia at the end of February. I have been buying books to try and find which is the best way to head to follow the warm weather. I believe it is best not to enter certain areas during certain months due to bad tropical weather, etc.

Can anyone put us on the right track as to which direction to go, ie: WA way (clock wise) or NSW way (anti clock wise). And then there is Tassie hehe...

Also what maps are the best one's to buy? We won't be 4wd'ing. Will be sticking to the roads. I don't want to have numerous maps to contend with. Was hoping we could just have one or two to get us by or am I dreaming?

Any help would be great as we are first timers.

Cheers
Chell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:13

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:13
So Chell, you've decided on what to get . . . congrats.

Sorry, cant help much with your questions, just wanted to say giday.

Oh yeah . . . Hema Maps are pretty good.
AnswerID: 36849

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:27

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:27
Hey Hey Flappan,

Have flicked through a few Hema Maps and yes, they do seem to be good. Am still to find a good book that mentions climates like overseas books do.

I heard about a great Hema Book in one of my camping mags, but am yet to find it.

Shall keep reading and searching. I guess you can't have too many books ;-)

Cheers
Chell
FollowupID: 26650

Follow Up By: flappan - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:32

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:32
If you aren't planning on going too far off track, something like Discover Australia (by Hema I think ) would be a good book to have.

Lots of Sections of State Maps (and includes bits about Nat Parks etc).

I think you can also get "map packs" . Not sure if they are area specific, or if you can get them Aussie wide . . . ??

Of course you could always buy a GPS, and have all the maps on it.
FollowupID: 26651

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:39

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:39
Hmm...Chell I've been pondering your question for a few minutes now and for the life of me I can't think of a single significant argument for or against going clockwise or anti-clockwise. Leaving Melbourne at the end of Feb means you'll still enjoy plenty of nice weather in the southern climes and gives you plenty of time to make your way north to avoid the coolest months.

You don't say how long you plan on being on the road so time may not be an issue for you. If it was me, I'd decide whether I wanted to explore NSW/southern Qld or southern WA/SA the most then head in that direction. Reason being that many, many travellers I've spoken to often tell me they spent more time than they anticipated here or there and end up having to make a run for home, missing many of the things they'd hoped to see on the last leg (good reason to go back someday anyway, LOL). Even if you plan your itinery down to the last day, its inevitable that there'll be places you'll spend a day or two or more longer than you planned and/or visit places that you never planned on in the first place.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://www.users.bigpond.com/flatdog
AnswerID: 36850

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:53

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:53
Melissa

Well....we originally were only going to go for 12 months. But we have since realised we have no reason not to go for longer. So we aren't really setting a return date, we are going to stay for as long as it takes to see the things we want to see and still have money to do so.

I guess our main issue is where are we more likely to get work first off, as we plan on working straight away to see us through for a bit. We have no itinerary as such as far as how long we stay somewhere. It will really depend on our situation as far as work goes, what we have seen, etc.

I did read somewhere to head south first if you are leaving from the east.....just wanted to hear other people's view.

Cheers
Chell
FollowupID: 26653

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:02

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:02
Ahh, what luxury to have no set return date. Lucky you! Didn't realise you were intending to work along the way. Apart from going where you think there is the most chance of finding work, I still can't think of any particular reason to go clockwise or anti-clockwise. Enjoy your trip!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://www.users.bigpond.com/flatdog
FollowupID: 26657

Reply By: OzCamper - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:40

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:40
Have already purchased a couple of books....discover australia sounds awfully familar. Have looked at so many, I forget the names of the books I have lol.

Oh please don't mention the GPS! If my partner has a say in it, we will have every contraption known to man on our trip!

Thanks, but think I will stick to maps.

Have used the GPS on a few business trips and Mary (what we call her) has sent us on a few wild goose chases due to road works she doesn't know about.

Its all fun :-)

Chell
AnswerID: 36852

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:47

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:47
Hi,

We did it a couple of years back and went anti clockwise. The reason for that was the wildflowers over in WA are out around Aug Sept so you get to see them as you come down the west coast.

If you do it that way don't miss the
Western Flora Caravan Park
Brand Hwy
Eneabba WA 6518
Telephone: (08) 9955 2030
Rating: **

You get your nights caravan park accomodation and a free wildflower talk and tour by the owner. And I don't get commissions

great value
AnswerID: 36854

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:57

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 15:57
lol thanks for the tip! I will make sure I have taken my vaccines against the wildflowers before I go on the tour though ;-)

Cheers
Chell
FollowupID: 26655

Reply By: Big Red - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:04

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:04
Go anti clock wise... cause its shorter
AnswerID: 36858

Follow Up By: Blackie - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 17:11

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 17:11
Not one bite!
Yet
FollowupID: 26668

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:23

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:23
Go anticlockwise as you will probably find work fruit picking in the Riverena that time of year. get the Hema road atlas it's great available from the site shop. Have a safe & enjoyable trip.( i'm jealous wish we could come)Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 36859

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:28

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:28
Bob

Riverena?? Where is that exactly? Fruit picking would be great as I believe it is good money...hard work yes, but we could do with a bit of body toning ;-)

Brings me to another question....do you know of any sites you can get on where you can see what work is available in what state for travellers?

Shall check out the atlas.

Cheers Bob!

Chell
FollowupID: 26659

Follow Up By: flappan - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:40

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:40
Riverina Area is Griffith/Wagga Wagga/Leeton etc. Cherry Picking around Young in Central West NSW
FollowupID: 26660

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:18

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:18
flappen beat meRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 26776

Reply By: OzCamper - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:42

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:42
Noted.

Thanks Flappan!

Chell
AnswerID: 36862

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:54

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 16:54
Hi OzCamper,

Best thing I have ever done was to pack up & start travelling. Great also not to have a deadline (I planned on 3-6 months, it is now 2 years later and still going).

For work fruitpicking have a look at: http://www.jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx?WHCode=0&TextOnly=0

or google search for Harvest Trail. I have done a bit of fruit picking on the way and have to say I wouldn't rely on it for a good income, it is not hard work, it is damn hard work especially grapes in the heat of summer.

I think you will find that if you have the right attitude/friendly you can pretty much find work anywhere if you give it enough time. This is the case for both major cities (I am contracting in Perth for another 5 months), or small towns (working on a duck farm in Nhil).

As for the direction, going for more than 12 months negates the argument about missing weather etc as you can stay in south for summer then head north for a warm winter either way... though I decided on clockwise for a summer through S.A. into W.A., a Winter travelling in north W.A. across to Darwin and North QLD, then a Summer heading home to Sydney/Melbourne. Though if that is the hardest choice you have at them moment life is pretty tough ;-)
AnswerID: 36865

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 17:03

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 17:03
Steve,

Thanks for the link, shall give it a looksie.

You are making me envious and very eager to hot tail it off right now. But will be doing it soon enough so shall have to learn to be patient.

Actually the hardest decision I have at the moment is what to do with my cat!! But that is another story lol.

May even decide to flip a coin to see which way we go. My partner is pretty keen to go the way you have so might let him win at something ;-)

Cheers
Chell

FollowupID: 26664

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 17:10

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 17:10
Don't do that, if he is anything like me, he has built his foundations on the solid rock of never being right with the girlfriend (sorry Kel, just kidding).

P.S. Don't miss the Eyre Peninsula, the South coast of W.A. and Sth Coast of N.S.W. (can't comment on north W.A. yet.....)
FollowupID: 26666

Reply By: Wizzy - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 17:15

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 17:15
A lot of round-Australia travellers say anti-clockwise is best because of tailwinds, but other than that it shouldn't make too much difference which way you go. Certainly you wouldn't want to miss the WA wildflowers! By the time you reach NT the high humidity should be decreasing.

Have a fab trip

Dennis
Westport 18ft full van
Falcon AU sedan
www.damor.net
AnswerID: 36873

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:11

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:11
Thanks Dennis.

Yes I do seem to be getting a mixture of anti clockwise and clockwise. Avoiding the tailwinds would be good, but I am sure no matter which way we choose we will have a ball!

Great website by the way, got some interesting info off it :-)

Cheers
Chell

FollowupID: 26740

Reply By: ZEDjay - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 18:17

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 18:17
Chell,

I'm a newbie, but have found the Hema Road Atlas in combination with Camps 2 a good reference set. The camps 2 book identifies rest spots, some caravan parks and camping spots and tells you what facilities there are.

Cheerio
zj
AnswerID: 36879

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:49

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:49
Thanks zj, have noted names of books and shall keep an eye out for them. A book with a list of camping spots would be great as we don't plan on staying in caravan parks all the time.

Cheers
Chell
FollowupID: 26743

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 19:15

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 19:15
These questions are raised every six months or so on this forum. Go in to the archives and have a look. Also search the internet for Australian weather patterns using Google.

I am still amazed that many people are somewhat unaware of our climatic conditions.

Drive anti clockwise around Oz otherwise you will constantly be driving into the wind and use mega litres of juice.

Hema Road maps etc are the best of a bad bunch. No map shows you enough detail unless you take a laptop and digital maps.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 36893

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:56

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:56
Willem

I had already searched archives actually but couldn't seem to locate something to directly answer my question.

When travelling overseas, I find it is very easy to locate details on the climate for that particular country. But I have found it is not so easy for Australia. Since I have not travelled around Australia before, I am not aware of what the climate is like, particularly in WA, SA, NT.

No laptop at home and limited use at work makes it very hard to spend much time searching the web for this info, hence my asking people that have been there and done that.

Thanks to the helpful people that have answered my questions, I can now search for books, maps, etc to aid my research.

Cheers
Chell
FollowupID: 26745

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 17:22

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 17:22
Chell,

I assumed that as you had access to a computer to access EO you would have acces to the internet which has a trillion answers to so many questions. How long have you lived in Australia? And do you watch the news on TV from time to time...hence my perky observation...no offence intended.... just a stir.

Cheers,

Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 26768

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:57

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:57
I did the round the block a few years ago starting off the same time and went clockwise. No winds and warm weather all the way, finished the trip in Tassie for Xmas and New Year

SA inc Kangaroo Is Feb, Mar
SW WA Ap, May.
West Coast May, June
Kimberly June, July
NT Aug, Sept
NQ Sept, Oct
East Coast Oct, Nov
& Tassie in Dec, Jan

34000k later done the lap. The only time it rained was in the SW of WA the rest warm and dry, but getting a bit hot up the Cape in October.
AnswerID: 36976

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:01

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:01
Tony

Wow, that is alot of k's lol! Good on you, you lucky thing.

It will be my turn soon enough ;-o)

Shall have to put some thought into where I want to spend my 30th!!

Cheers
Chell
FollowupID: 26746

Follow Up By: Tony - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:46

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:46
Yep done a lot of side trips off the black top, but mainly stuck to the coastal regions. All this in a HJ 47 Troopcarrier, swag and tent. Replaced two tyres, two battries and rear shock mounts & one rear wheel bearing (carried as a spare) otherwise normal services.
FollowupID: 26752

Reply By: Member - Karl - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:28

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:28
It depends on how far you want to travell - if you go clockwise the distance is greater than anti-clock wise (think about it for a second).

But really I dont think it really matters except for the weather - you really don't want to be stuck up north during the wet, but if your not in a hurry then I suppose that doesn't matter either.

Have a great trip.Everyone is entitled to have an opinion - just make sure that yours is correct.
AnswerID: 36993

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 22:44

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 22:44
The difference between clockwise and anticlockwise is about 900 meters I believe.
I suppose one can be lucky with the weather. Came up to the Alice a couple of weeks ago and ran into a fierce westerly that made a difference to the fuel consumption as I had trailer in tow. Sometimes the wet can be quite nice up north and even cool at times. But on the whole it is uncomfortable. The older one gets the more uncomfortable it seems.
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 26810

Sponsored Links