Tick proofing a campsite

Submitted: Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 02:26
ThreadID: 84594 Views:2805 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We will soon be heading off to a camping site that is a known tick area and we would like some qualified information from seasoned EO campers on the best way to .... if possible .............................. tick proof our camping area against ticks.

TIA ....................

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 03:56

Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 03:56
80% deet bushmans and lots of it

- that is all

other weekend we pulled up near cervantes and the ticks were swarming the dunes like ants
AnswerID: 446504

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 17:10

Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 17:10
Each evening make sure that you inspect all that are with you for ticks, even the personal bits. Sometimes this can be fun.

For the bod use a good repellant preferably the roll on type.
Take a surface spray for the camper and use liberally.

When our kids were small we had a nudie time at bath time when we checked them over thoroughly. Usually at bath time.
Later we checked ourselves thus the fun.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 446543

Reply By: Mike DiD - Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 20:32

Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 20:32
Keep in mind that the Paralysis Tick goes through three stages - each one requiring a feed of blood.

Larval - the size of a full stop ( . )

Nymph - the size of an asterisk ( * )

Adult - size of small fingernail

I recently had 6 of the Larval ones on me. Just visible as black specks which were itchy. I tried digging out one - that was the only site that was still red weeks later.

The pharmacist says the current advice is to kill them using an Insecticide (NOT Insect repellant) creme or spray containing natural Pyrethrin, before removing the jaws from your skin with tweezers.
AnswerID: 446556

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 22:52

Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 22:52
Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies and information.

GOM,
We were up at Wedge Island the other weekend and you had to keep moving to keep the little blighters at a distance.

Dodger,
We will be making sure that the “check thyself and others” message is followed during the weekend and will be taking a rake and surface spray, to prepare the area before setting up the camper.

Mike DID,
Your comment about applying a insecticide is interesting, as other people have indicated a range of applications that range from the simple use of vaseline, through to diesel and even nail polish.
I must say that I’m not a big fan of the “removal of tick with tweezers”

Thanks again for the comments and information provided and for those in the west that will be heading away for the long weekend, have a safe and enjoyable time away.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 446573

Follow Up By: Member - T N (Qld) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 01:47

Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 01:47
Carby cleaner can be used to kill ticks,read it on Goverment blurb,
re how to safely remove ticks, I am sure Google is your cobber!
FollowupID: 718979

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 09:22

Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 09:22
Hi Wayne and Sally,
I have had the worst tick bites ever from WA ticks - some were still extremely itchy after 18 months. As I don't have that sort of response to east coast ticks I assume its something to do with my own immunity/sensitivity re "unfamiliar" ticks.

Ticks tend to climb up vegetation when they are looking for a feed, so stay away from tall grass etc. That said I have found if camped under paperbarks that they seem to drop down from above, so we try to avoid that too.

I have done a lot of googling about the best way to remove a tick and the advice from the experts seems to be conflicting. But regular checks are essential, and yes they do get into some sensitive spots so be careful!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 446590

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 12:28

Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 12:28
Out here we call them Roo ticks ,non paralysis , any old bug spray does the trick , predosing with mega vitamin B also helps , talcum powder all over the campsite and the body also helps stop the little bs from crawling and latching on.
AnswerID: 446607

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 16:51

Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 16:51
Hi again,

some interesting additions and information.

TN,
I was just thinking that carby cleaner maybe a little has on some of my sensitive bits ............ and for whatever reason, Google does seem to vastly differing views on removal.

John and Val,
I try to avoid being bitten as I too can react a long time after being attacked, though that will not stop me/we/us from getting out in the bush. Another tip is too keep away from areas that are used as kangaroo "lays" as these areas can be regarded as tick central.

Alloy CT,
I had wondered if spreading powder around the camper would be effective, while keeping ants at bay too! Didn't know about the vitamin B information .... thanks.

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 446638

Reply By: Nutta - Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 23:35

Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 23:35
Maybe laying out a 20x12 tarp as a groundsheet could help too.
Just a thought.
AnswerID: 446687

Sponsored Links