Ctek 7000 or 15000?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 19:35
ThreadID: 84623 Views:3624 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all,

I'm about to buy myself a new ctek battery charger. Question is should I go the xs 7000 or 15000? I'm mainly going to use it to charge the deep cycle battery each night. It's a 115ah battery. I'm after other peoples thoughts whether to spend the bit more for the bigger unit? My understanding is the main difference is it charges faster and can charge bigger batteries if I go the camper later. So while the 7000 would do the job the 15000 might be a bit more future proof?

Also I've been told that I could plug it into the rear of the car to the nice big thick cables I've run to the deep cycle. This way I can mount it onto the cargo barrier and plug it in easily each night when I'm plugging in the fridge. Any objections of having it this far away from the battery?

Also if I do permanently mount it, one concern is the 15000 has a fan which might not enjoy the constant vibrations?

Any useful thoughts are welcome.

Thanks.

Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 20:25

Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 20:25
If you are running the charger off a generator, then go the 15000 as you won't need to run it as long. Otherwise, the 7000 is fine.

I have the CTek 7000. Its capable of charging two N70 batteries, and has the advantage of being able to charge at either 14.4 or 14.7V which will suit your current deep cycle battery. From memory the 15000 won't do 14.7V, but you might want to check.

I hook mine up to a pair of N70 cranking batteries under the bonnet, a 100Ah AGM in the canopy via power sockets located in the cab. Easy - just plug it in to the battery I'm wanting to charge. The current is never more than 7 amps, so theres no problem about the batteries being remote, provided you are using reasonably thick cable all the way (say minimum of 12 Gauge).

As far as charge time, the 15000 will only be quicker if the battery is deeply discharged and accepting more than 7 amps. If you are just topping up a slightly discharged battery, then there will be little differrence in charge times.

As far as mounting, You won't have a problem mounting it to teh cargo barrier on a coil sprung GU. But a lot of my elecronic gear is mounted with velcro as it cushions from vibrations. Also makes it easily removable.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 446665

Follow Up By: ChrisGU - Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 20:55

Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 20:55
Hi thanks for the info. Not planning on running it off a generator so am now thinking the 7000 will be fine.

The dc battery does get run down some days when its hot, as the car sits out in the sun all day in my work carpark.

Its occured to me with what you said about mounting electronics on the cargo barrier that an amplifier is already mounted on it with fans and has been for around 7 years so this I would expect would mean that if I did go the 15000 that it should also be fine.

Cables I'm running are 4awg.

Chris.
FollowupID: 719051

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 22:26

Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 22:26
I had the 15000 really wanted the 25000 for its fast charge capability, trickle only go the 7000
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 446680

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 09:38

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 09:38
Hi Chris,

Ive got a 115ah deep cycle and use a Ctek M100 7 amp charger. I got the M100 and it was cheaper then the XS7000. Only difference is the M100 is the Marine version and had an improved IP rating ( was better sealed for water ingress). Either the 7 or 15 amp would be fine except the 15 does it quicker.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 446703

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:04

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:04
I replaced my 10A charger with a 40A Xantrex charger to reduce the amount of time I needed to be connected to 240V. This charger can be set to charge at a percentage of its full output to limit the output current and input power. (20, 40, 60, 80 and 100% of 40A.) I do use a Honda generator from time to time in the outback.

Some places in the outback, relying on solar power, have a low current circuit breaker to limit your 240V consumption. Cape Leveque camp ground has a 2A circuit breaker if I recall correctly. My charger would have tripped the circuit breaker if I did not have the ability to reduce the output charge.

The voltage drop between the charger and the battery does matter. You can look up tables of resistance per unit length for different cross section area cables and do the calculations.

If you have a battery in the vehicle and it is connected to a battery in the camper, then you must have a fuse on both ends as close to the battery as possible. A short circuit anywhere along the cable can be supplied by either battery or both. Without the fuses you could have a carbecue.
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 446710

Reply By: ChrisGU - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 20:16

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 20:16
Thanks for the replies. Some interesting points in here. Like that some sites limit your current draw.

Think I'll stick with the 7000. don't need raw speed. And the extra voltage selection could come in useful.

Thanks again for your input.

Chris.
AnswerID: 446771

Sponsored Links