tyre rotation and noise

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 21:20
ThreadID: 84737 Views:2121 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I've just installed two new tyres (Bighorns) on the front of my J20. The near new (15,000km's) Bighorns that were on the front are now on the rear. The rear tyres, BFG mud terrains, were removed. Still 40% tread but I wanted them gone. That's another story!
Normally, I keep my tyres running the same direction, I rotate front to back, not left to right. However, this time, the tyre shop suggested moving the LH front to RH rear.
Driving home I couldn't help noticing how much tyre noise I had. Normally, fitting new tyres makes things quieter, not noisier.
I'm interested as to whether others have had this experience. Is the additional noise the rear tyres spinning the opposite direction to which they'd got used to? Will it go away? Should I have stuck to my guns and insisted on a LH front to LH rear pattern?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nick b - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 21:42

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 21:42
gooday Nutwood : What has dean suggested is what coopers & mickeys suggest , that makes each tyre move to each corner of the vehicle after a few rotations . the idea is that it keeps the tyre flat & less noise !!!!
so they say
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 447156

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 08:16

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 08:16
Its reasonable to expect more noise if a tyre now runs on different bits of its casing as it beds into the new position.

Good to rotate all 5 often.

Probably worse when cold.

Try running much higher pressures to reduce noise a bit.

I note that in a recent tyre test test Bighorns were considered noisy compared to BFG MT (KM2)

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 447185

Reply By: trainslux - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 09:47

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 09:47
My vote would be its the newer tyres.
If you went lhf to lhr, your basically doing the same as swapping the two fronts side to side as far as the load on the tread face is concerned.

Anyway.

With larger tread block patterns, you will get tread block movement, and this can often be misdiagnosed as incorrect toe in wear.
With larger tread block, best to rotate front tyres side to side, so you wear the tread blocks evenly, say every 5000km.
Then rotate front to rear on same side as it "reverses" the load seen on the tread face.

Not sure how many of you have seen tractor tyres, the ones with the large tread bars, you can see the ones whom do alot of black top running, as every other tread bar is quite badly worn/ scuffed.
Some tyres do it more than others.

If you have noticed more tyre noise, its either the new ones on the front, or some noise from the tread blocks with load etc on the rear.

hope that helps.

Trains

AnswerID: 447190

Follow Up By: nutwood - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:38

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:38
Thanks Trains. I not so sure it's the new tyres. Remember that I put the first pair of Bighorns on only 15,000 ago and I don't recall the increase in noise then. It could be that the Bighorns are noisier than the BFG's and because they are on the rear, under an aluminium tray, the noise is being amplified. This is the first time I've had Bighorns on the rear. The last four sets of tyres have been Mud Terrains but I've had to go away from them before they kill me.
Please could you expand on your comment that going LH front to LH rear is the same as swapping side to side on the front. Surely the rotation direction is the same?
Yes, I'm familiar with the tractor tyre issue. Same thing happens to mud tyres if you leave them on the front too long.
FollowupID: 719494

Reply By: River Swaggie - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 14:12

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 14:12
You sure your front end isn't out...That can make a difference with Tyre noise..
AnswerID: 447215

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 17:09

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 17:09
I rotate my tyres every 5000km with the oil change.. I always swap the direction... your tyres had 15000 on them before the rotation.. if your car is wearing them down they will have a fair amount of bedding in after 15k... thus when reversed they will have to rebed - hence the extra noise.. if done regularly the noise is barely noticeable..

btw my BFG muddies are coming up to 95,000km and have heaps of tread left and nice even wear... I put the even wear down to the regular rotations.

Cheers
AnswerID: 447230

Sponsored Links