Hema maps

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 16:58
ThreadID: 8475 Views:4407 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I was at Dick Smiths yesterday having a browse when I came across Hema's maps on CD's ( mainly in the center of Aus ). Has any one veiwed them? What are they like ? How does a lap top hundle driving around rough outback roads?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: srowlandson - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 17:55

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 17:55
Hema only have the desert tracks series on CD so far.

They are planning others though.

The laptop goes ok, but we found it a REAL pain in the bum, always in the way, waiting for it too boot up.

Hema do the same maps for the meridian GPS which is what i have, and would prefer to buy it and use those maps straight on the GPS, and buy the hema paper pack for $79.
Steve
AnswerID: 37033

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:00

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:00
farmer
I have them on my laptop. They are OK but not 100% as I would like. I combine them with my Natmap Raster 250K Maps and Oziexplorer software. Together all the maps make sense.
I do not utilise my laptop in a moving map situation while many others on this forum do. I carry my laptop in a metal cameracase and take it out when I need to which is normally every evening to write up the days events and check out map details. I have a Pioneer Notebook and run it off a 300watt inverter.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 37036

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:05

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:05
Farmer,

We've got the Great Desert Treks on CD. Haven't needed to use them yet (more's the pity) but have had a good look at them and they seem pretty good. I guess only someone who has actual used the maps in the field can comment on their accuracy. For paper maps we generally use Hema and I've always been happy with them.

Agree with comments above regarding laptop being a pain when on then move. No where to put them up front and get in the way (I refuse to have the laptop on my lap except for short periods). We've found it better to upload waypoints onto the GPS and use this for navigation and tracking our route. Then at the end of each day we download our track and waypoints from the GPS into the laptop (running OziExplorer).

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://www.users.bigpond.com/flatdog
AnswerID: 37037

Follow Up By: Drifter007 - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 22:00

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 22:00
Re the Accuracy of the Desert Maps.

I have recently done the Bore Track, French Line and Googs Track and created waypoint and track files on my GPS unit. At home I downloaded these over the Hema maps and fount that the waypoint and trackfiles were almost spot on.

Regards Colin ...
FollowupID: 27163

Reply By: JohnR - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:12

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:12
Farmer, many on here have them and of course seen them, relying on them. They are very good and just the same info as the paper ones.

The big question is how will your laptop handle the vibrations, dust, and all, depends a bit on the laptop and the preparations I would imagine - any suspension you may provide to soak the vibration. Some over come that by carrying on their knees.

The laptop provides a good connection to your GPS of course for instant readout of position, assuming the GPS is important for that. If your laptop crashes paper maps would have provided a better backup or primary map for that matter.

One mate has a foam insert in a box to carry his but I would love an ability to float to some extent in a position to see the screen. Perhaps seperate the screen and computer.

Have fun farmer
John
AnswerID: 37040

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:26

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:26
farmer,
The maps show good detail & work fine on a laptop but swmbo didn't want it on her lap if passenger air bag goes off so i got a PDA to show moving map with GPS & oziexplorer, works a treat as we can see exactly which track we are on & where to turn with out stopping to look at backup paper maps.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 37046

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 20:01

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 20:01
Been using these maps and digital only navigation for a few years now - We run the laptop all the time and use full moving map via Oziexplorer combined with the HEMA GDT, NatMap Raster and now the Raster 50K SW maps. We have taken two different laptops over the years never had any problem at all. We have been on all the harder/rougher tracks and for me now I do not take much in the way of paper. Basically one copy of the Hema road atlas tucked away in the passenger door.

We have also been on mapping surveys for Hema on the GDT pack maps and can assure you that the are very accurate. We completed the mapping for the CSR this year (Simpson and Anne Beadell last year) and await the updated CSR maps however the maps we had as the base map (the current version) was very close to accurate with less than a few metres of inaccuracy. I also guess you must look at the scales of the maps to determine how good they are the GDT is 1:1,250,000 and at the scale the line on the map is already about 15 metres wide. It all comes down to what you want the map to do. For the normal 4WD traveller the Hema GDT and Natmaps are an excellent investment.

Have a look in the travel journal (Trip Planning Menu) in the 2003 trip section Part 1 to see the laptop stand I made that we use all the time. We used to use the rear seats but this was a real pain having to look around or get out to see the screen. Other choices for the screen are PDA or external monitor. These options are all available. For my money the larger the screen the better (easier to read the maps), OziExplorer and digital map products.

We travel with laptops and know of many people that also run moving map on laptops and I have never heard of a single laptop failure. This is based on the people I know personally that use them around 30 travellers.

Good luck and also see the additional information available in the Navigation Topic Search in the left margin of this very page. There are a few articles on digital navigation.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 37061

Follow Up By: farmer - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:27

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:27
Thankyou for your reply. I checked out your sites . Is there anywhere that you can download a sample of one of the maps.
In 1981 when my brother and I went around Aus. we had a few maps. BP road maps , those big ones you fold out ( nearly covers the bonnet of the 4wd ) and also a readers Digest one. It had a map of Aus. all numbered into squares. You just cheked the number on the map to where you were and then looked up the correspondent page. All the maps were metric topographic series in the scale of 1: 1,000,000. Just like when you go into a maping place and you want to find a detailed map on a area you are going except this was in one book.
Do any of the CD"S Cover all of Aus in the scale of at least 1: 1,000,000 and then can you zoom into a particular area to a scale of say 1: 250,000 ?
FollowupID: 26861

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 21:27

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 21:27
Note that westprint also have maps now for CD
http://www.westprint.com.au/Product%20Pages/australiasoutbacktracks.htm
AnswerID: 37077

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 23:21

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 23:21
hi farmer,

I have used the Hema CD for planning routes as well as with moving map. They are great as they show heaps of info for fuel stops, camp sites, lookouts etc in a size that is easily seen. The first trip I used it on the laptop and the second on the palm pilot with great results both times.

Well worth it. I am interested in the westprint cd though. Still waiting for feedback on it.Just Do It!

AnswerID: 37098

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:17

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:17
Farmer,

as others have said you probably need both the Hema GDT maps and the Auslig Raster ones (both available on this site). I used to use the paper ones but got sick of folding etc and getting in the way. After one trip they start to break up. I use a laptop with external monitor. No problems. Laptop sits on back seat or in pocket behind front seats. I had to disable the button that puts it to sleep when the lid is closed. Would never travel without it again.Bob
AnswerID: 37126

Follow Up By: Rhubarb - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:00

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:00
Bob,

Just wondering what sort of external monitor you are using? Is it a LCD? How have you mounted it? And how does it connect back into the laptop? Via the external monitor point?

Cheers,
Rhu
FollowupID: 26858

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 11:26

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 11:26
Its a Samsung 15" TFT which cost $540 at Harvey Norman. It plugs into the display output port on the laptop. I use an infrared mouse on the top of the box between the front seats. Never need to use keyboard. The display is mounted on a bracket that comes out of the dash. It was too wobbly so I stabilised it with two miniature ocky straps around the rear vision mirror.Bob
FollowupID: 27015

Reply By: farmer - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:30

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:30
Thank you all for your replys.
AnswerID: 37150

Sponsored Links