WHICH 4X4 TO PURCHASE

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 15:58
ThreadID: 84755 Views:3264 Replies:10 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
HI, WE HAVE ALMOST RETIRED AND HAVE NEVER OWNED A 4X4 CAR WE DESPERATELY SEEKING ADVICE ON WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST RELIABLE VEHICLE TO PURCHASE THAT WOULD TOW A HEAVY CARAVAN SAFELY AROUND OZ. STARTING IN VIC.. CAN SPEND UPTO $30,000 OR DO I NEED TO SPEND MORE? MANY THANKS ....JOY B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 16:21

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 16:21
How heavy is heavy?

AnswerID: 447223

Follow Up By: Member - Joy B - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 19:40

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 19:40
Still looking for a van, but need a vehicle (Auto Diesel) to tow around 2.5 Ton, thanks
FollowupID: 719555

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 20:44

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 20:44
We have a holden rodeo that would cope with that if it is the total all up weight no the empty weight.

It may be pushing things to go any heavier with one of the 4 cylinder ute styled 4x4s most of them have a 3,000kg tow rating but I would err on the side of caution.
FollowupID: 719560

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 20:48

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 20:48
We bought the tow first then made sure the van we had made was of the right size and weight for towing.

We had driven 4x4s before and towed boats etc but never a caravan.

For what we do the Rodeo / Colorado / Dmax (They are all the same vehicle :) were a good deal.

Whatever you buy look at a suspension upgrade for towing and possibly a computer power chip for the engine, ( we went with the DPChips )
FollowupID: 719561

Follow Up By: nick b - Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 17:36

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 17:36
do you think Joy will want to do power chip ,exhaust , suspension , gear box etc , i think rodeo are a fine vehicle but you do see a lot about whining noises from them on forum .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 719649

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 18:10

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 18:10
I have heard the same noises I was told the ride was uncomfortable and rough !!!

Compared to a mercedes limo perhaps it is :-)

I bought mine and was cheered up when my son also bought one ( a Colorado but he works in the gold mines in kal and has always had toyotas he says a lot of the miners and some of the mines are changing over for price and reliability )

The gear box and exhaust are fine the suspension does need an upgrade for towing and the chip is nice if you have the cash.
FollowupID: 719653

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 16:24

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 16:24
Hi Joy B,
A question like this could cause a bun fight on this forum.
If by heavy, I assume some thing around 24foot / 3 tonne.
Then go for at least a 4litre diesel – I have a mate that tows 3 tonne with a modern common rail 3 litre diesel and he says it struggles through the hills.
I travelled with another mate who has a 5 year old 4.2 diesel which performed well around Australia with a 3 tonne van. For $30,000 you will have to go second hand for a decent sized vehicle.

AnswerID: 447224

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 16:31

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 16:31
Hi Joy

There is plenty to think about when it comes to making this type of decision, and you’ll get plenty of good information from the forum but you’ll need to provide more information if you want the forum to assist you.

Guidance on where you are going, the type of driving (there is off-road, and then there is off-road – if you know what I mean), vehicle set-up etc would help.

Also, have you had a look at this article which is located on this site? It has a lot of good information that will assist you.

Which 4WD to buy

Good luck with your purchase, whatever it is (Don’t overlook a ‘Landy!)

Cheers, The Landy
AnswerID: 447226

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 16:33

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 16:33
Sorry the link was the wrong one...this is it here

Which 4WD to buy

Cheers, The Landy

FollowupID: 719534

Follow Up By: Member - Joy B - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 19:50

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 19:50
Hi Landy, is that short for Landcruiser?
Many thanks for your reply and others as well. We hope to do Kakadu and generally just drift around Oz. Won't be doing any serious 4wd (too scared at this age). I will read the Forum tonight that you sent thanks. I'd like an Auto Diesel ? to tow around 2.5 ton. Haven't purchased Van yet, does van need to have a stronger chassis.? thanks ..... Joy
FollowupID: 719556

Follow Up By: guzzi - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 20:13

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 20:13
I believe he's referring to Landrover.
Have a look at the Aust landrover owners forum for a bit more in depth info (quite often warts and all)
Landcruiser, from late 80 series through to 100 series in 4.2 TURBO diesel would handle a "heavy" van, they are rated to 3500 kg. Petrols will also pull these quite well but use a bit more fuel.
These 2 web sites have a wealth of info;
LCOOL; http://www.lcool.org/forum/index.php
Off road 80's; http://www.offroad80s.com/portal.php

Nissan Patrol in the 4.2 turbo diesel or the big petrols will also do the job.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/

Also another to contemplate for towing duties is the Ford exploder sorry explorer in V8, good for general towing and medium off road.

You will have to register to read or post on these forums but its free and worth the research.

Good luck with the decision.
FollowupID: 719559

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 22:30

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 22:30
Hi Joy....

No definitely a Landrover Defender.. I've got two and must say they are a bit 'rural' but wouldn't have anything else!

Good luck with it, The Landy
FollowupID: 719576

Follow Up By: Snoopyone - Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 11:04

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 11:04
Whatever you buy DO A TOWING COURSE before you go anywhere.

Far too many people who have never driven a decent sized rig buy one and away they go.

You see them everywhere, cant back into sites, have no conception of load distribution, allowable weights or considerate driving on the roads.

EG No rear view mirrors and just poking along with a convoy behind them completely oblivious to their surroundings. Speeding up on passing lanes etc.

Not getting at you in any way but it is a problem at times.

My pick would be a 100ser TD auto but hard to get a good one for $30,000.

Low K ones on Carpoint upwards of $50,000

Dont buy a 1HZ motor version which will be cheaper but slower than a wet fortnight in FNQ. LOL

FollowupID: 719604

Follow Up By: guzzi - Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 14:01

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 14:01
I'll agree with the 1HZ or any non turboed diesel for that matter.
I have a 1HZ and with a 1 tonne camper trailer the forward progress could best be described as sedate, oh and don't even whisper the word "hill" anywhere near one, you will then get a resounding demonstration in the concept of "slow".......
So its definitely NOT me accelerating up hills at over taking lanes.
FollowupID: 719628

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 14:31

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 14:31
Hey Snoopyone

Had a good chuckle at the ‘slower than a wet fortnight in FNQ’......The missus has filed that one away for use when she next travels in ‘The Landy’.....

Grew up in FNQ myself..............

Cheers, The Landy

FollowupID: 719636

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 17:22

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 17:22
Hi Joy,

I am biased, very biased.

I would recommend a 100 series Landcruiser. For 30 thousand you should be able to get e good one. They have a 3 and a half tonne towing limit.

You could even get one with the 5 speed auto gearbox and a V8 petrol ( a bit thirsty) or a turbo diesel with a few more dollars. Either are excellent vehicles for your job as you describe it..

But... as I said I am biased.

These vehicles are built tough and will last you for years and years.

Nissan Patrols are another good option, I nearly choked when I said that, (Sorry Robin).

But as I said I am very biased.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 447232

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 19:16

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 19:16
Gday Bruce!!

No need to apologise to Robin and all us Patrol owners. We all agree with you and believe you are 100% correct about the 100 series, it really is the ideal vehicle to tow 3 tonne on the black top.. BUT if you need a tough vehicle to tow off road, then you will have to agree that Patrol is the obvious choice!! :))

regards, Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 719552

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 21:09

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 21:09
hi Joy,

I reckon "The Landy" just about choked when you swore at him by asking if Landy is short for Landcruiser. If he was called The Blandy I could understand your mistake as the Landcruiser really is a "bland" vehicle. hehehehe.

Michael and Bruce are steering you in the runt direction but I would just like to throw my 2 bobs worth in the ring too. I have owned a non turbo cruiser 99 model before I saw the light and upgraded to a real workhorse, a 4.2 turbo Patrol 2000 model. There is very big differences between these two vehicles when it comes down to it. the Landcruiser was a very nice, well laid out vehicle in every respect, it is quite underpowered with a heavy load in tow and it is not unusual to hear of gearbox trouble with those that do tow a lot (eventually the reason I traded to a Patrol). If however you drive slow anyway and will mainly be sticking to the general "Traveller's routes" the Landcruiser will do an admiral job.

on the other hand the Patrol is a real solid predictable and apart from a 3lt a reliable vehicle. the 4.2 turbo diesels do not come in an auto which may take it off your shopping list but this is a shame if it does as it is the vehicle of choice for the job you are asking about. Both my 4.2 Patrols have heaps of very hard towing miles on their speedos and either of them can be hooked up in front of my heavy van and taken anywhere without prior preparation (even the one with over 400000km on it), they just keep on going no matter what.

Would I buy another Cruiser 4.2? Yeah probably if one come up at a bargain price,
would I buy another Patrol 4.2T ? In a heartbeat.

these are not the only 2 vehicles you should concentrate on as some of the smaller 4b's like Pajero, Prado and the like should definitely be investigated but for me and my application it is Patrol all the way.

Good luck and happy hunting. Also welcome to Exploroz.
Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 719563

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 21:11

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 21:11
Oops. "runt direction" should read "right direction".
FollowupID: 719564

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 22:26

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 22:26
Crikey....I think I'll recover in time for beer o'clock tomorrow

Cheers, The Landy

FollowupID: 719575

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 16:25

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 16:25
Hey all you patrol blokes, get off my post. LOL LOL.

All your talk about holdens when a rolls royce (read landcruiser) is required. Teh he he he !

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 719640

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 17:31

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 17:31
Why not contact your nearest 4wd club and go along to an outing where you can ask people who drive them regularly what they think.
Then if you do join their club Driver training is usually available and you WILL learn a lot about any 4wd that you may purchase.
Most 4wd clubs have many members that tow caravans of all types.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 447235

Follow Up By: Member - Joy B - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 19:38

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 19:38
Great idea Dodger I'll have a look around for clubs around the Yarra Valley, Vic. Thanks ..... Joy (I only joined Exploroz today - so a newbie and very green)
Looking forwards to learning alot from my Forum
FollowupID: 719554

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 19:09

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 19:09
Hi Joy, at the risk of "told you so" (LOL) from some of the regulars on the Forum, I would go a diesel Toyota Land Cruiser!! Or maybe a Prado.

We faced a similar predicament as you are talking about around four years ago, asked more or less the same question as you are asking now, got told (popular opinion) Nissan Patrol Or Toyota Cruiser & then ignored the advise given & purchased a new Mazda BT50!!

Reason we ignored the advise the Mazda we purchased was new, it is the basic "poverty Pak, not 4WD, manual, A/C power steer etc and on the road brand spanking new cost us about $30 K.

If I had my days over I would purchase a second hand Cruiser ot Prado in the price range of $30 to $40K and I would make sure it was an Auto.

Our Van fully laden, water tanks & gas all full etc, and ready to travel comes in at about 1800 to 1900 Kg.

Good luck in your search & seeing that you will soon retire I bet that twelve months out from now you will be wondering how you ever found time to go to work!! Cheers
AnswerID: 447247

Reply By: Eric Experience - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 21:20

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 21:20
Joy.
There are hard and easy ways of doing a loop of Aus. If you are of mature age you don't need the " mine is bigger than yours" mentality you can go for comfort and economy, I recommend you talk to motor home people who have made the mistake of getting a heavy 4x4 and a heavy van, go straight to a motor home. A lot cheaper than van and tug combined and a lot cheaper and easier to drive. Eric.
AnswerID: 447272

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 09:25

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 09:25
Motorhome is inconvenient if you are camped & need to even just go & get a loaf of bread, everything has to be packed away!
FollowupID: 719596

Follow Up By: Member - Joy B - Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 21:36

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 21:36
Hi Eric, been there done that. We sold our motorhome last year cause we were unable to go walk about with it. Would like to go off the beaten track leaving caravan behind sometimes.. This is my first ever Forum and everyone has been so helpful, lots of replies, I am now sitting with a Brandy hoping to get rid of the headache you have all caused me LOL. Not interested in doing wheel ruts and mud holes...might get stuck!!! . . .Joy
FollowupID: 719677

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:49

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:49
Hi Joy

Getting into the spirit of things here, I tend to agree with other posters that there are several potential canditates mostly amongst the Patrol and Lancruiser range.

But to do your question justice more needs to be know about your requirement, and perhaps also you need to know more about the scene
to be firmer on those requirements, and this may take time.

I don't know you at all, but I expect to be passing thru Yarra Glen on way to Yarck about 7:30am saturday for a day trip to our 4wd place.

It would be suitable to tag along in a 2wd car.

The requirements you have outlined "Reliable diesel auto" cut out many other fine cars and those words may have come from friends or an incomplete knowledge of the scene.

A theme I often reccomend is for a vehicle with a long wheelbase, wide track and solid chassis.

A friend of mine brought a 3lt 2002 Patrol auto diesel (they have a dark history) and towed a 3ton+ drilling rig almost constantly for work around Murrindindi shire for years till it blew up at 195,000km and then cost $6000 to repair.

He reckons that amortized over the whole life cycle that he did well.

I wouldn't reccomend that but currently there are incredible deals out with with these "auto diesels" going for mid $40's figures, and with appropriate warranties you'd have to ask the question.

I tend to go on performance based solutions (performance does'nt mean speed).

As such your ideal car might be a 100 series TD cruiser - but they tend to come in at a higher cost than the new car I reffered to above.

So I would reccomend one of the cars I have at half the cost , a petrol 4800 manual Patrol because it simplys outperforms almost all others (and I also have the same car in auto).

However, if implied, but not stated, in your requirement is low fuel consumption then I would not reccomend it.

If however your real requirement was low cost of onwership over the life cycle of the car, then that vehicle would again come back into contention.

So my advice would again be to take as much time, and do as much research as you can to firm up your requirements and plenty on this site will help.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 447318

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 16:50

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 16:50
Hi Joy,

First up, welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of useful info on here, though sometimes you just have to ignore some minor annoyances. There are also a fair few women on here too.

I can't help you with your specific question as all that we tow is a very light trailer. But I would have to say that driving our big heavy manual Troopy is actually FUN. So may I make a broader suggestion, that before you settle on a tow vehicle you might do a bit more research to pin down what you want to see and do on your trip.

You mention Kakadu and being scared of 4w driving, also that you are close to retirement. Now thats not a lot of info to go on, but John and I would be about the same vintage, so may I make a suggestion or 2.

Using Kakadu as an example, the really good bits are off the bitumen. Not hard driving but useful to use 4WD for comfort and safety. Its the same with many other marvellous places that you will come across - Lawn Hill, Bungle Bungles, Gibb River Road, many National Parks, Oodnadatta Track, the list is endless. Whatever tow vehicle you choose it will be able to do so much more for you if you are able to use it to its potential. So my first suggestion is to do a good 4WD driver training course. It will give you the confidence to get so much more pleasure and enjoyment out of your trip, and it will be one of the best investments you make in terms of travel preparation.

Also dont assume that safety lies in sticking to the bitumen. More than likely getting off the bitumen is safer if anything. Certainly in all our trips we have never had any safety issues (you can see some of the trips we have done by looking at our blogs). So my second suggestions is to buy a vehicle on the assumption that you will probably become more adventurous as your confidence grows.

Sorry if thats a bit long winded, and in the end it might not actually change the vehicle that you get, but I reckon if you are going to travel you might as well get the maximum enjoyment from it.

Good luck with finding the perfect vehicle and happy travels in your retirement.

Cheers,

Val.

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 447348

Reply By: nick b - Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 17:08

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 17:08
Hi Joy ,We have v8 petrol auto 100 series landcruiser 200,thou ks paid $25.000 great car to drive , can be thirsty on fuel but so would a 4 cyl towing a heavy van . I would also go for patrol 6 cylinder , diesel would be best but price might be a problem . plenty of these on the road .
but dont buy something thats under powerd or to small for your needs ,it will cost you a lot to change over if you dont like it .

you might find the big 4wds to big to handle but a heavy van is going to be a problem for a light car !!

Take them for a test drive see what you like to drive ,then research that type of vehicle ,but dont rely on car yard . come back to the forum for more comments . good luck

Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 447349

Sponsored Links