Honda generators

Submitted: Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 848 Views:5887 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking at purchasing a Honda EU 10i generator for about $1,300;. Before I do I'd be interested in any comments from owners rethe suitability of this model to provide basic lighting and battery charging for when my solar array isn't functioning dur to inclement weather. Are these generators as quiet as their made out to be? Any comments gratefully appreciated. Is the $1,300 price tag reasonable?

Regards Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DennisN - Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Mark. Have done lots of research on this item. Yes - they are as quiet as they say they are. The Honda EU10 is the biggest selling generator in the world at the moment - all for the reasons that you will possibly be contemplating. I will have mine soon. the price you mention is obviously from the Midlands [WA] Honda Shop. They have the best price in OZ [$1295 plus freight]. Normal retail is about $1600+ and my local Honda dealer [Toowoomba] cries and spits blood around $1500. I have checked with Honda Australia and they fully back the units sold through the Honda Shop in WA - Go for it - I will have mine soon.
AnswerID: 2428

Reply By: porl - Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00

Got one love it and it is as quiet as they say. I do mostly beach camping and with the ocean in the background noise you can't hear the generator unless you stand about 3ft from it. It is also superb because it has a sine wave inverter so you can run laptops off it, and if you really want to power up seriously you can buy another and they link together to put out 2KVA. They also can charge your battery while you are using the 240v outlet. That said down side is it only puts out 8 amps per hour. An average modern fridge would use around 50amps a day so about 20 at night which means running the generator for around 2.5 hours twice a day to re-charge your battery to capacity. That is about one full tank of petrol. I am moving to a fully 12v power system so I have splurged and bought the Les Christie battery charger and it is truly amazing - it puts out up to 55 amps per hour - wait for it, with exactly the same 50cc 4 stroke Honda motor (the GXH 50cc i think) as the Honda 10EUi. So this is worth a look, but the EUi is a lot quieter but i think i just have to get a copper connecting rod to run the exhaust into a sandpit and will probably be even quieter than the EUi. I don't think you would regret getting hte EUi, and $1,300 is about as cheap as you will get it anyhwere - i presume you found the Honda shop in Perth. Good luck, i am reluctant to sell mine, even though keeping it might be a waste, but it is such a versatile tool and something that puts out 1KVA 240v DC os always useful someday.
AnswerID: 2429

Reply By: Alan - Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00

Mark these are great. I;ve had mine for about six months and it's been brilliant. If you live in Perth, you may wish to also get a price from The 12Volt Shop in Kewdale. Their price was better than the Honda Shop (Midland) which was alerted to in a previous comment from the guy in Toowoomba. They only beat the price by a few dollars hey, but every bit helps in the long run.
AnswerID: 2430

Sponsored Links