Tyre Balancing

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 23:32
ThreadID: 8490 Views:1811 Replies:13 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have had some problems with my new Goodyear MT/R tyres. I purchased 4 tyres and sunrasia rims. I wanted the ROH rims and specified that when buying, but think I have got Speedy rims??

I have had the tyres balanced 5 times by two different places. The last was today by Bob Jane, a Gold Balance. They spun a wheel on the rim, and balanced the other three.

No matter what is done, or who does it, the car always seems to get the shakes up around 90 - 110 kmh. The shakes aren't as bad as the first time they were balanced, but are enough to be annoying, especially on longer trips.

Does anyone have any ideas?? I am feed up with going back to tyre places. Both places have said the tyres are round, and the rims seem ok. The vehicle is a Hilux D/C. I am running the tyres at 32psi front and back, and they are 31x10.5x15 in size. Could the tyres have something wrong that doesn't let them balance correctly, or could it be the rims??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 23:40

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 23:40
Take them back to where you bought them from. Tell them that its not right. let them fix it or replace them. If you didnt get the rims you asked for tell them you want the right ones.

Dont expect any help from Goodyear, I didnt get any..
AnswerID: 37101

Reply By: ray91 - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 00:06

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 00:06
Have you checked the front wheel bearings?
AnswerID: 37104

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 07:01

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 07:01
If you have bought thesame diameter tyres as b4, then it is probably the tyres or rims. If they are bigger diameter,or if the offset on the new rims is different, maybe the wheel bearings.
Try lifting a front wheel and rocking it to feel any slackness there. Alternately go get a wheel alignment and ask the guy to check for possible faults that would give you the symptoms you have.
If all is ok, take em back and say you dont want tyres that cant be balanced, hey are unsafe, change em.
BTW ROH will have a beed of silastic around the outer rim where it meets the part you put the nuts on.
Andrew
wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 37118

Follow Up By: Tony - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 07:23

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 07:23
You would think if it was wheel bearings the place where he got the balance done, would have picked it up. Maybe a caster check might turn something up.
FollowupID: 26833

Reply By: jaycee - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 07:42

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 07:42
Check out the tyres. My brother had two new tyres replaced as they were faulty. It was not noticed until later that there was a manufacturing problem.
AnswerID: 37124

Reply By: Jimmy - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:18

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:18
A friend of mine had a similar problem with his EF Falcon. Had wheels balanced multiple times and wheel alignment done by two different places. In the end it turned out to be worn suspension.
Jim
AnswerID: 37134

Reply By: AndrewW - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:51

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:51
Guys,

I don't think it has anything to do with wheel bearings, as these are my second tyres. The standard road tyres are fine, smooth as silk. Also the vehicle is less than a year old.

Question, when the tyre guys rotate the tyre on the rim, do they just guess where how much to rotate it, or is it more scientific than this?? My guess is that the rims are slightly off in balance, and the tyres are also. Perhaps I will get them to swap tyres on the rims. Also the steering has no shake, it seems to be vibrating/shaking in the body, so I think it is the back wheels that are the problem.

Any more thoughts greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Andrew
AnswerID: 37138

Reply By: Member - Robert (WA) - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 10:00

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 10:00
have the tyres balanced on the car
AnswerID: 37141

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:56

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:56
as we say in the tyre trade.
if it lasts one year its a good year.
i would take them straight back where you got them get new rims and tyres and see if the problems goes away does sound to me like tyre problems
back by popular demand
:-)
AnswerID: 37163

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 13:24

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 13:24
Andrew,

I have just cured this very same thing in my Hilux. I have 30x9.5x15 BFG on ROH rims and in the 5,000 kms I have had them have not been able to get them balanced - that's 6 balances, of which I only paid for the first one. My symptoms were the same as yours - wobble through the whole car, indicating ALL tyres/rims, and especially noticeable around the 80 - 100 km mark.

Just this Monday I finally had a gut full and took the car somewhere else where they have a machine that measures how much out of round, and precisely whereabouts out of round, each tyre and rim is. Then they match a tyre with a rim and put it on in an exact way so that the tyre / rim combo is as balanced as it can be before it is actually balanced (if that makes sense?)

Anyway, it's a bit hexi - cost me $100 ($25 per tyre) and they have the only machine in WA - but it's the best $100 I've ever spent on my car and I'll be going back there again.

I found this info on this site about 2 / 3 months ago and filed it away for future use, and then remembered it this week. Once again this forum comes up with the goods!

Keep all the good info coming trendsetters,
Cheers, Jim

"Lead, Follow.....or get out of the way!!"
AnswerID: 37166

Follow Up By: AndrewW - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 13:41

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 13:41
Jim,

I went else where yesterday, for balance number 5. Didn't fix it obviously, and also cost $16.50 per wheel. Do you know of any of these machines in Victoria, or how to find one???

Info much appreciated!!

Andrew
FollowupID: 26880

Follow Up By: Member - Alan - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 15:17

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 15:17
Jim

I'm also interested in who it was that fixed your problem,was it in WA? as per previous post info would be appreciated

Regards

Alan
FollowupID: 26893

Reply By: ogray - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 13:32

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 13:32
Hi Andrew,

You must go back to where you purchased the tyres and rims. This is your only option. The problem is, from what you described, with what you have purchased and must be rectified. By either fixing what you have currenlty, or by them replacing the lot. They are going to tell you many reasons why it is not the tyres or rims that you purchased but you must stay focused and DO NOT let them get away with what is blatently obvious to all of us here, You have been sold below standard products. Stick it to them. They won't like it and they will most likley get nasty but unless you want to drive around for the next couple of years and be reminded by a vibrating vehicle that you have been ripped of, this is your only choice.

I write the above with personal experience when I purchased a set of rims and tyres that were below standard. The tyres were warped and the rims did not fit onto the hub correctly.

Good luck

Owen
AnswerID: 37168

Reply By: AndrewW - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 13:45

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 13:45
Further update, the called the guy back from Bob Jane who did the balance yesterday. He reckons that its a problem with the tyres, and is going to get onto Goodyear for me. Not bad, as this isn't where I originally bought the tyres and rims. I have lost faith in the original fitters completely last time they lied to me.

Anyway, I am supposed to be getting a call later today, so we will see what happens.

Andrew
AnswerID: 37172

Reply By: Mal58 - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 16:52

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 16:52
Andrew,
Something else to consider, years ago, I had a set of rims (on my wife's car) that when tightened up went out of balance due to incorrect mating with the Wheel Hub. The rims were replaced and the problem went away.

Cheers,
Mal58
AnswerID: 37206

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 17:33

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 17:33
Guys,

The place I went to in WA is "Richards Tyrepower" on Scarborough Beach Road. I don't know the name of the machine - Diamond may be able to help with that?

And no, I don't have any ties with them - just happy to recommend something that works.

To those recent posts since my last on this thread. I agrre with you all 100%, there is no doubt that it is the tyres and or rims. All of mine however were within specs, that is they were round and had no obvious defects, and yet two of them still spun up (the day after an ordinary balance somewhere else) with a 25kg "throw" in them!!

Anyway Andrew, I hope it gets sorted for you one way or the other.Cheers, Jim

"Lead, Follow.....or get out of the way!!"
AnswerID: 37212

Sponsored Links