<span class="highlight">Samsung</span> Galaxy tablet or EeePC for a dummy (again)

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 20:59
ThreadID: 84953 Views:5162 Replies:2 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi al, loooong time since I've visited here and there's been a lot of changes I see!!
OK, we've finally decided to get a bit technical and run a GPS system among other technical tit bits.
I'll also apologize in advance for going over what seems to be the eternal questions on GPS, VERY LIIMITED tech knowledge and a long winded post.
I've been searching through the threads for info and slowly becoming more confused as I go, so hoping someone can help out with basics. I think we've narrowed down what we'd like to have:

Internet access
Phone
Navigation (voice turn by turn for those dratted cities, and capability for off road)
Photo storage
Music of some sort
Room to put it (Prado 90)
Future proofing (to some extent)

Now we aren't into super heavy duty off roading, mainly touring stuff ( the "hardest" to date being the Finke River Gorge...and we winged that on a whim and a prayer at the time, but like the idea of features such as available with Oziexplorer or Trackranger.
Looking at the above at the moment, particularly the Galaxy so what I'd like to know is how good is the standard GPS system on a Galaxy for those using these. It seems Ozi have an Android version on the go, not sure of Trackranger though the tablet has a Win base??
I'll give up now before I write a short novel and ask stoopid questions as need be. lol

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: paulnsw - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 08:22

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 08:22
Hard one. The Samsung Galaxy Tab with WiFi available April 4 for $399. I have a WiFi only model picked up in Korea. Prefer to use Wifi as connect my netbook and phone and can position the NextG receiver in optimal position and with external aerial. I have both netbook and tablet. Depends on how much typing you do. If you are a prodigious typist then would go with a netbook. I do have a wireless keyboard for the Galaxy, but prefer the netbook when doing a lot of typing. Android has some great apps some that Windows cannot do because of lack of sensors and heaps freeware. I do like Android and do love the tablet but would still not want to be without a netbook. The GPS system is good and Oziexplorer works well. Hear new update out this week.
If you looking for netbook for travel MSI Wind U100/U135 series are the netbook of choice for toughness and build quality
AnswerID: 448050

Follow Up By: Allfour4x4 - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 15:48

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 15:48
Thanks, you may be right about the netbook. When you talk about a NextG (3G?) receiver, do you mean a phone or some other unit with an ext. aerial? Obviously you must find this better than direct from phone or 'puter? I'm guessing the Galaxy wouldn't need a separate GPS receiver where as the netbook does?
FollowupID: 720436

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 09:43

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 09:43
Hi,

I too wanted a GPS solution as well as the flexibility of a laptop but with touch screen. I ended p going for an EeePC T91 Tablet. Has a laptop keyboard but the 8.9 inch screen flips around and folds back down onto device covering the keyboard utilising the touch screen. I have loaded Garmin Mobile PC on it which, after updating works an absolute treat for black top and not so remote dirty stuff. Oziexplorer is loaded for the more remote stuff with moving map technology. Plus of course, i have the functionality of the laptop with wifi internet connectivity etc.

I bought mine in Ebay second hand, 6 months old for abot half the price they are new as at around $600 new they arent cheap. However since using it, i would happliy pay full price, well worth it. Make sure if you get one of these you get the latedt version as they have double the drive sapce of the old onw and they run Win7 home premium. The only change i will be making is adding extra RAM as at 1Gb, it struggles with multiple tasks, not that it fails, i just like a bit of instant response when i do something.

I have it mounted in Miss Turtle using a Ram Pod II, a great product, easy to install, and puts the laptop in the perfect position for driver or passenger.

Let me know if you want any info or pics, will be happy to help.
AnswerID: 448059

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:57

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:57
Would love to see some pics of that set up Please
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 720416

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 14:36

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 14:36
Hi Mary, ok below are a series of photos's showing the mounts, view out of veihicle to show there is no impedence, and the laptop in both keyboard and tablet position.Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

The gps receiver is mounted on the dashboard on the inclimator assembly. The passenger side room isnt impeded at all and the pod allows for the laptop to be swivelled around so both driver and passenger can use. It is charged via a 12v laptop charger purchased from Derek Bester, a member on here from ABR sidewinder.
FollowupID: 720433

Follow Up By: Allfour4x4 - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 17:12

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 17:12
Hi Tonbon, good looking set up. How long have you had the EeePC? was wondering how the flip screen was holding up...do you think they're a long term proposition?
FollowupID: 720442

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 17:56

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 17:56
Hi Allfour, cheers mate. I have had it since early Jan and as yet havent taken it in a long trip. I was a little concerned about the pivot joint on the flip screen as well but once i got it home my faith was strengthened. The pivot joint is quite strong and sturdy, beyond its size and once the screen is flipped an layed back, it actually forces and holds itself down on some rubber buffers and doesnt bounce on the laptop. Yes, i believe it will hold up for a long time to come with the appropriate care that should be taken with all electronic equipment but without treating it with kit gloves. One of the real benefits is the solid state hard drive, no moving parts or spinning discs to break. Of course, the litmus test will be the next trip in August.
FollowupID: 720449

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 18:23

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 18:23
My EeePC went back to them four times under warranty, worked againg for about two months now stuffed again, it is going in the bin
FollowupID: 720457

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:16

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:16
Thanks for the great pics.Where did you source the mounts and what sort of base is the eepc sitting on?Thanks,
Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 720606

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:06

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:06
Mary, no probs. Pod II was sourced from Here and they supplied everything, simply had to assemble myself which, after some thought and planning was easier than first looked after opening the box. Cant reccomend the Pod mount enough, it is perfect. As for the faulty EeePC comment earlier, sorry you had a bad run IsuzuMU, i work in a large firm with a big IT unit that i am part of and a lot of the guys here have EeePC's of all shapes and sizes and none of them have had issues. On saying that, none of them do what we do with them either, ie use them in cars for travelling so i guess time will tell with mine.
FollowupID: 720613

Follow Up By: Allfour4x4 - Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 18:16

Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 18:16
Couple more things if I might...
How do you find the touch screen feature? Do you find you use it much.
I'm hearing that it's a better set up (particularly for city street GPS work), do you think it is worth the extra money.
I'm struggling with this at the moment, I'd be paying close to double for the Touch.
Also do you ever operate this in vehicle with the lid open or just in tablet form? Wondering whether the lid stays up OK with the small center hinge.
Thanks again!
FollowupID: 721779

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Monday, Mar 28, 2011 at 05:59

Monday, Mar 28, 2011 at 05:59
Sure no problem. Ok, the touch screen is simply awesome, i use it all the time when using the Garmin PC Nav software and it integrates completely. The touchscreen application on the laptop is very good indeed, once i ran through the first time quick setup, even with my fat fingers it is perfectly accurate, so even the smallest of radio buttons is easy to select, on saying that, the Garmin software has quite large icons for selecting various sections so is very easy to use.

Oziexplorer does not intereact so well with the touchscreen, you cant use the multi touch function to zoom in/out. The oziexplorer menu's are small and close together so on the odd occasion you can select the wrong one. However, the stylus that comes with the laptop is perfectly fine for this application or of course you can have the laptop open and use the mouse.

I generally have the lid down and in tablet mode for a couple of reasons, i generally dont have a use for the keyboard when navigating and although the swivel mechanism is surprisingly strong and sturdy, i am not sure i would want to push my luck and take it over the rough stuff with the lid up.

So, do i think it was worth it? absolutely without hesitation. I researched for this quite a lot and made sure when i made the purchase i got the model that came standard with Win7 rather than XP and the bigger hard drive.

Hope this helps.
FollowupID: 721827

Sponsored Links