WA Only for *RICH* tourists

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 13:33
ThreadID: 84963 Views:4579 Replies:15 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
WA is now for *RICH* tourist only. Everthing is now so expensive or lousy time frames for a big state.
Dad and I and all the family where looking to go for extended holiday in WA. Fishing you need a seperate licience for everything. Dad been a pensioner gets free fishing licience in other states but not in WA.
WA ripoff fishing licience NO provision for tourists
Licence Type Adult Fee* Pensioner/U16 Fee*
Rock Lobster $40 $20
Abalone $40 $20
Marron $40 $20
South-West Freshwater Angling $40 $20
Net Fishing $40 $20
Recreational Fishing from Boat (RFBL) – NEW $30 $15

National Parks pass for visitors valid 30 days which is bloody stupid in a big state. Prices are off the planet for entry fees and camping with or without basic facilities
WA *RIPOFF* National Park fees and extortion charges
My mate and his dad said to told us what a bloody ripoff WA is on everything and they wont go again and cut their trip short in WA to come back to SA where things are affordable. We will give WA the big miss and spend our dollars and time in SA. SA Parks pass 2 months includes camping for me $58 and Dad $46. SA Parks prices

Damn pity you cannot afford to take the wife and kids and parents to see your own country. Bye bye *RIPOFF* WA where you need to be a mining magnet or mine worker on $150,000+ to see your state.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ozzie4x4 - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 14:37

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 14:37
It seems to me you picked all the high priced camping areas, do your research there is plenty of place that are either free or for little cost, and very pleasant areas as well, my last visit to SA I found a lot of place that were expensive as well, but for a little time and reseach found some very nice camping areas some free, if you compare states you probably find prices very simular in the most popular areas. so dont go to the most popular areas and you wont pay through the nose.

and I think around $6 a night for a NP camping area that has facilites, is not asking too much concidering the money goes back into that area to keep camping areas open to the public like you .
AnswerID: 448085

Reply By: Bazooka - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 14:50

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 14:50
While I understand what you are saying Paul I think a bit of perspective needs to be applied. $80 for an annual all-parks licence seems very reasonable whereas the monthly fee of $40 is ridiculous both price and time-wise.

The only way you can influence this is write to the Minister responsible Bill Marmion.

Make your point here - it's a web form so you could simply cut and paste some of your EO thread.

Not sure what they are trying to do with the fishing licences. Looks like the Dept responsible has not considered visitors at all, or simply couldn't care less. Again, worth a whinge on the webform.

Good luck.

AnswerID: 448086

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 15:41

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 15:41
do you need a licence to go "normal" fishing, i mean go to a beach and fish with a rod ??????
AnswerID: 448090

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 15:50

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 15:50
FollowupID: 720437

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 15:49

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 15:49
Are you taking a boat?
Are you going diving?
Are you going to be here between the 8th Jan - 5th Feb?
Are you bringing cray pots?
Are you bringing a net?

If your answer is no you dont need all the licences you have listed?

If your answer is yes....whats a couple hundred bucks for a feed of seafood?

AnswerID: 448091

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 18:53

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 18:53
Own boat = $$
Diving gear = $$
Extra fees as in licences = rippoff especially when a section of the community are specified exempt purely on race.
Paying a couple of hundred for a feed of seafood you caught yourself = stupid.
FollowupID: 720462

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 19:16

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 19:16
No different than paying for a drivers licence and permits is it?
FollowupID: 720464

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:21

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:21
The same as a driving licence ?? Come on , boat licence and rego yes ,but a permit to throw a line in and catch a feed = rippoff , and even more so that racial discrimination is used for application of fishing fees/permits.
FollowupID: 720619

Reply By: Member - Boeing (PER) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 19:54

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 19:54
Paulnsw, Take a chill pill. Are you going fishing for everything that lives in the sea or fresh water?
My wife and I are going to Karijini from Perth in July. Free camp Stake Well -then Wanna Mulla (spelling) free camp. Karijini NP $7 -$10 pn. Nanaturra Road House $30 pn . Gladstone $7-$10 pn.

If we went to Bussleton in Summer at a Caravan Park it would cost $40-$80 pn.
Broome in the peak would be $40+ pn

The idea is choose the fishing licence you need and get the NP licence for an extended period. Above all don't go to places at the time of year that everyone else is.


PS Your NSW trains are a rip off.
AnswerID: 448115

Reply By: Gotlost - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 20:12

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 20:12
i live in Exmouth and have done so the last ten years, love living here but would never come here as a tourist overrated in that respect.

AnswerID: 448117

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 20:20

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 20:20
ALL the money from WA rec fishing licensing goes back into rec fishing rules compliance and fisheries research.

My wife and I hold 3 of these and we definitely don't begrudge contributing to sustainable fisheries management. Occasionally when travelling north we also obtain a net licence. The costs are very reasonable.

In fact instead of just requiring boat fishers to have a sep. licence we reckon that it should be replaced by a general fishing licence which would also cover beach and jetty fishing.

However, I wish more eastern staters had your attitude so there'd be a few less of you lot clogging WA roads and park sites every winter! :-)

....and I think you meant mining 'magnate'??


AnswerID: 448119

Reply By: Uncle-Laurie - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 20:26

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 20:26
WA, a rippoff? Are you kidding me? We went thru that state for 12 months in 2008, did 25,000 klm and our total bill including food and fuel and misc items was $16000, that works out at an average of $307 bucks a week.
We had the time of our lives there, and cant wait to go back.

cheers Unc
AnswerID: 448121

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 21:35

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 21:35
Good about time people started to pay.

A lot of the state government tourist authorities class travellers in two categories.... free loaders who don't support local businesses and don't spend money in the local area and camp for free on the side of the road but still want to use all the free facilities and non free loaders who are willing to support local businesses and spend money in the local area and are willing to pay for camping.

We have seen it all to often .... caravan parks nearly empty and 10 kilometres outside town 10 caravans in a parking bay at 2pm.

Sooner everyone pay the better and cheaper it will be for all.

Every week you see people asking where is free this and where is free that.

Maybe it's time people started to support they local community they using.

Here in SA they are talking about a fishing permit and it's not from the state government either .... it's from the fishing organisation.

AnswerID: 448132

Follow Up By: disco driver - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:44

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:44
Why should people have to pay for the use of "free" facilities??
You use their free facilities when you are in their locality and in return they use yours when they are in your area.

What goes round comes round.

In regard to free camping, if as you say "We have seen it all too often.... caravan parks nearly empty and 10kilometres outside town 10 caravans in a parking bay by 2pm", think about the possibilities.

Perhaps they were travelling together and only wanted an overnight stop.

Perhaps the caravan park was nearly empty because the owners charged like a wounded bull or the facilities were substandard or the vans were too big for the sites available.

Perhaps the travellers were too tight to pay for a site, or perhaps they were like me -on a pension-and would rather spend their limited travel funds on food etc in the local shops and/or sightseeing expenses like chopper flights etc. All in the local area.

My experience is that people do tend to support the local community they are using..........but not necessarily by staying at the local caravan park, but rather by having a meal and a drink at the local pub, buying fresh food at the local store, paying to see the local attractions and so on.

aka Tony
FollowupID: 720517

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 14:15

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 14:15
User pay facilities usually mean better facilities.

Victoria National Parks is free to interstate travellers but everyone who lives in Victoria pays with a levy if they use it or not, is that a fairer way or is user pay?

End of the day someone is paying and forget that poofy "what goes around comes around".... that doesn't happen in real life.

Don't know how often you travel and where but look at the rest stops in SA and the NT and by 2pm there're full.

Life is expensive and so is fun and enjoyment.

FollowupID: 720529

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 23:31

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 23:31
Hi Paul

Are you willing to go independent camping?

With such a low population and wide open spaces, finding a quiet place for the night is usually very easy. Main roads provide overnight rest areas along highways with bins, toilets, and some with dump points. Some of these are 100 metres away fom the highways. Park passes are discounted for concession card holders (eg senior's card).

Have you ever gone National Park camping in NSW? Their park entrance fees are the dearest of all states as are some of their camping fees. Their entrance fees if you don't have a multi parks pass are per day whereas other states are per visit regardless of how many days.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 448151

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 00:11

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 00:11
Hi Paulnsw, I live in WA and don't see much difference here compared with other States that we have traveled. We bought a Desert Parks Pass for SA and it cost us $104 last year ( it was for 12 months), if we want to go to any other parks in SA we need to pay another fee. Here in WA we buy an annual pass and with Seniors concession I think it's about $80 which covers the whole of WA but does not include Monkey Mia, The Tree Top Walk and there is another one which eludes me at the moment. So I'm not sure where WA is so expensive there.
The fishing licenses I won't comment on as I don't know where that money goes to but it is suppose to have something to do with preserving the fish stocks as I understand.
As far as being a mining magnate to see our State, Hubby and I are retired and have seen the length and breadth of this beautiful State on a number of occasions therefore one does not have to be 'rich' to see what is on offer over here.
We have found the other States that we have traveled are on a par cost wise as in WA, the fuel could be the exception but with every thing else it seems what you gain on the merry go round you lose on the hurdy gurdy.
If there is something one really wants to see, just do it as it is never going to be cheaper, last Nov we traveled over 3000klms to go for a 6 minute ride on the Coopers Creek Ferry, in all seriousness we probably couldn't afford that considering we had just got back from the Birdsville races (remember we come from WA) but we did it because it may have been our last chance.
It's a shame you are not going to see WA because of your views but if you do enough research you will find you can travel bottom to top quite cheaply unless you do it in peak season or want 5 star accommodation. Enjoy your travels where ever they may take you.



Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 448152

Reply By: Snoopyone - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:29

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:29
What a load of rubbish.
If its so expensive how come its nearly impossible to get a booking in a van park in the season and "free" camps are full by 3 o'clock most days

We don't fish but found WA a beautiful place and would even consider living there.

The costs incurred during our several months there were no more than anywhere else and in some cases less.

The scenery more than makes up for it anyway as its the best part of Australia.

Shame its so far away.

If its so expensive for you stay home and fish and save the money.

We paid day rates at the NP's we went to and didn't find them too bad.

What it boils down to is if you aren't prepared to pay don't go.

We went and had a great time and would do it again in a heartbeat.

We are pensioners as well.

AnswerID: 448172

Reply By: Fatso - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 21:11

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 21:11
Tell you what paulnsw.
Do yourself a favour & come to Qld.
We will look after you mate.
Not only do we have one of the greatest natural wonders on earth to fish but you don't have to pay for a license to do it. If you want to waste your time fishing in dams where they have a stocking program going you will need one.
There are no national park entry fees either. You only pay to camp in them & then you only pay for the nights you actually camp. It is not one of those "buy a 12 month permit cause it is more economical traps" where you go in for 3 nights & circumstances change & you don't go back again & in 12 months the virtually unused permit expires.
Been fishing all my life & never had a license & I am a white fella.
AnswerID: 448248

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 00:10

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 00:10
Where's Paul???
AnswerID: 448266

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 20:28

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 20:28
Fishing somewhere else......
FollowupID: 720661

Reply By: wafarmer - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 00:56

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 00:56
Hi paulnsw
I could get all defensive and try to justify some of the things you have touched on but you are right it is a dogs breakfast.

The RFBL or fishing from a boat license is also needed even if you use a boat to cross a river or bay to fish from the land on the other side.
Also every angler who is also on that boat must have one, also if not they can only catch fish to the bag limit of the license holder and if they are caught fishing or with fish in excess of the bag limits of held license's the skipper of the boat is held liable for any fines for them not having RFBL's and exceeding bag limits.

It has become a trap for the olds taking the grandies for a fish.

You will be find for not having your Skippers ticket, RFBL, Abalone, cray, etc etc on you at all times.

To go fishing from the shore on the other side of the river I need 6 licenses and that is without adding cray etc.

Don't get me started on what happens if you work part time as a decky on a pro boat but you must be onto something as the minister is reviewing the complexity of the fishing rules and regs.

As for the parks and a lot are in name only as they seem to think that planting a few pine logs with a name carved in them is a license to print money.
Mostly the private operators charge less and you get more or are at least left alone.

Don't feel too bad about the reception I felt the same about Melbourne (just hit Victoria and turn left) but have got over it.
I might go back one day.

AnswerID: 448271

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)