ARB air lockers

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 22:56
ThreadID: 85033 Views:3869 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Gday,
Just after some opinions on diff lockers. I have the 2006 GU patrol. i am led to believe that model had good LSD in the rear, and therefore only need to install front diff lockers. Or it all a bunch of cods wallop and i should go ahead and install diff lockers front and rear?
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toby R (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 00:12

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 00:12
Hi mate i also drive a GU Patrol and can say the Patrols have one of the best lsd diffs around however lockers turn it into a whole different beast. This is one of the best mods i have done on my patrol and makes it twice as capable offroad your able to approach tuff obstacles with less gusto. One thing with the lockers is you can get that bit further up that tuff track but you can also get that little bit more stuck than you would normally so a little common sense can go along way also. To finish off go ahead and install diff lockers front and rear and you wont regret it.
AnswerID: 448388

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 00:56

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 00:56
As before Nissans have one of the best LSD diffs and that comes from a toyota owner. (just had mine overhauled at 90,000km)

Front diff locker I think would be great and combined with the nissan rear LSD you will have an awesome 4x4.

I believe the problem with a rear diff locker is it is either on (locked) or you have a plain open diff. Sometimes you don't want a locked rear diff like when driving a difficult track that is winding. The rear diff locker will want to push you off the track at every turn.

Cheers

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 448390

Follow Up By: Ruffy-Dan - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 07:29

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 07:29
A rear diff lock will only push you off the track if you combine it with too much speed. A rear diff lock will create a tendancy to over steer, not under steer.

You will use a rear diff lock ten times as much as the front but a front will make more difference when you do.

DAN
FollowupID: 720703

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:00

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:00
That's the joy of ARB diff locks, turn them on and off as you need to.

Josh
FollowupID: 720706

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 17:12

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 17:12
From my experienced a locked diff will make the vehicle drive straight so in turn it would be under steering and it doesn't matter how slow you go as both wheels have to turn at the same speed.

I would stick to a GOOD LSD as per the Patrol one in the back and a locker in the from.
FollowupID: 720731

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 07:52

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 07:52
John,

I put in ARB front and rear lockers in the TD100 when I broke my front diff :oops
and the LSD had gone in the rear.
I mostly use the rear and generally just so I don't have put the foot down on steep loose tracks.
AnswerID: 448397

Reply By: Member - Desert Storm (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:31

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:31
thanks a bunch guys...appreciate your comments.
John
AnswerID: 448398

Follow Up By: BrownyGU - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 18:15

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 18:15
DS,

I've had a front ARB locker in my 04 GU since new, and recently had a rear one fitted at 250'000km after my LSD started making metal, I wish I just had my LSD replaced or rebuilt as for general driving and traction at boat ramps or grassy slopes etc the original LSD was great, but now I've got a single spinner that requires the compressor started and lockers engaged in situations that I wouldn't have blinked an eye at previously.

But if your doing regular hard core stuff then the Twin lockers would definately be beneficial

Cheers......Browny
FollowupID: 720734

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 09:44

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 09:44
I have them in the front and rear of mine and like others have said they are awesome but I have often gone up stuff wondering how I managed to do that looking down....and then how am I going to get down :)
AnswerID: 448406

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 09:45

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 09:45
Hi John

We have tested this extensively and front locker makes a huge difference with rear locker contributing about an extra meter on a 35 degree test slope with GU Patrols. Using an 80 series the front and rear locker makes about the same
difference.

Its a bit about weight balance also - if you place your car on a weighbridge it
will weigh a little more at front axle, and this axle also has least articulation
hence lifts wheel earlier and hence locker can help more.

Even a 240 kg load of cement does not make locker significantly better in GU rear.

In my manual Patrol I fitted both , but with my auto 4800 I did not , a front locker and rear LSD being a better all round combination as LSD can help a lot in normal driving.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 448407

Reply By: Rod W - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:01

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:01
I'd go for a Detroit Locker (have one in the front diff of me Troopy) that way you don't have any diff penetrations that could create problems.
AnswerID: 448408

Reply By: Gossy - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 11:12

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 11:12
I did some research into this before I went with an auto locker in the front of my GQ patrol.
Yes the LSD in the Patrols is good. I did find one American site that mentioned that the same LSD is sold under a different name in America as an upgrade!
Fairly sure Nissan wouldn't make it anyway and just buy it from the manufacturer and put their name on it (and charge double :) ). I haven't driven with a rear locker so can't comment on the difference but considering the price of them the change would want to be dramatic considering the LSD is fairly good anyway.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 448415

Reply By: JenRich - Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 00:01

Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 00:01
Hi

Just a general question. Would you consider air lockers on the new generation Prados with traction control ?

Richard
Jen and Rich having fun and exploring Australia

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 448448

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 09:13

Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 09:13
Hi John
As most say, definitely. for a Patrol  keep the rear LSD and run a difflock on the front. Tyre selection and tyre air pressure will play a large part in how useful the difflock/LSD combo is. Many non aggressive tyres will limit the advantages of the difflock.
For general usage an auto locker ( Detroit, lokka etc) has reliability and maneuverability advantages over an air locker especially in sand and when negotiating tight turns and obstacles. Also on an air locker if an air line breaks or leaks or the compressor fails it is back to an open diff. For the times when not using it a front Auto locker really is best with manual hubs.
To get the most out of the Patrol LSD use only Limslip 140 (not 90/140) from Penrite.
The Patrol LSD is the only one which can really take advantage of the 140 grade oil but the Penrite was the best by far of all the brands in this diff. It makes the pressure  plates work exceptionally well and will also solve chatter problems sometimes exhibited in these diffs.

Hope this helps.
KerryW (Qld)
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 448462

Follow Up By: Member - Desert Storm (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 09:56

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 09:56
gday kerry,

thanks for all that information...now just what to do with it all. firstly, have there been instances where the pneumatic system has failed on an air locker? If this is a concern, would it not be part of the preparation of a trip to carry spare air hoses, and even perhaps a portable tire inflater? i dont know if the air lockers would accommodate an intervention of a portable compressor but surely that could be an option for the air locker installers at the request of the purchaser. Secondly the Detroit lockers you spoke of, are they available in Australia? Who would install it? yes i know, I'm as green as they come when it comes to this kinda thing.
John
FollowupID: 720872

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 15:35

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 15:35
Hi John,

I only speak from personal experience, and yes I have seen failures, albeit infrequent, on Air Lockers and suggest that fixing something like that in the field is a pain especially seeing it a only a problem when you really need them working (much like a winch failure - its when you really need something to work that its reliability is appreciated).

From a field service point of view simpler is Better.

If you wish to research auto lockers you can Google them (lokka is popular and reliable and affordable - there were concerns many years ago when there were new and untried but those concerns seem unfounded now). Most serious 4X4 workshops or Gearbox and diff service centers will install them for you.
Plenty of info on them if you dig around.
Cheers

Kerry W Qld
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 720893

Follow Up By: Member - Desert Storm (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 16:17

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 16:17
thanks a bunch for that Kerry. i shall start my research. man this site is good. i haven't even heard of lokka. i just thought OL or ARB were the norm and everyone had them?!
so if i were to get this type of locker, how do you operate it?
John
FollowupID: 720896

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 17:17

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 17:17
They are automatic - as long as your hubs are in - they are working. They lock and unlock as needed. Time to read up on them!!
Kerry W (Qld)
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 720904

Sponsored Links