Diesel Gas Conversion

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 05:35
ThreadID: 85045 Views:4539 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day everyone,

well I am sure this has been talked about over and over again, well, I have tried to find post in this forum about it but the search engine couldn't find anything, so as I am a green horn in regards to this forum I thought I might start a new threat.

I have just bought a 1990 Hilux 2.8D no turbo, engine looks great, it was a holiday car of a retiree. The car only has 235.000 km done so far.

I am a carpenter and lugging my tools around pretty much everyday, it has a great lockable steel canopy on the back and I have a 10 x 6 aluminium trailer that gets loaded up with wood from time to time.

The big question is for me how to get a bit more power. Fit a turbo or do a gas conversion? The engine got an extractor fitted and I am happy with the performance if the ute is half loaded, It would be nice to have this little extra power when towing.

Has anyone everyday experience with a diesel gas conversion?

The Gas people say do it its better for the engine,
Some mechanic say don't do it the engine gets to hot,
Some say it doesn't make sense without a turbo.

I am all confused now and would appreciate your help.

Thank you for that, enjoy your day

Jens
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 07:15

Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 07:15
The best thing to do if you want more power is to do what the PO did trade it for something with more grunt.
Seriously though, it is 21 y/o, the engines will go forever if left alone but don't take kindly to being turboed in a longevity sense. No point in diesel gas unless it is turboed from my understanding.
If the injectors etc haven't been touched then a visit to a diesel place might extract a few more kw but basically you are best to leave it the way it is.
AnswerID: 448453

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 08:49

Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 08:49
Hi Jens,

I have gas over diesel on my 96 80 series turbo and it works very well giving extra power under load, that is how it is tuned in my case, as it has been set up for towing.

However in your case the best thing to do is to fit a turbo but get it done by someone who knows what they are doing as you cannot give the Hilux to much boost. About 7 PSI from what I have been told, otherwise you are pushing the envelope too far. The engines have not been designed to be turboed I have been told. Cousins has a 94 which was turboed by an expert in Wollongong and the expert was emphatic, no more than 7 PSI.

Gas may be a waste of money on a naturally aspirated diesel as gas seems to work best once an engine has a turbo. I have not spoken to anyone who has fitted gas to a non turbo vehicle but a well respected performance engineer in our area said it was a wast of money fitting gas to a non turbo vehicle.

Failing that there are a lot of hilux fans out there so may be an upgrade might be in order.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 448457

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 20:20

Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 20:20
I fitted diesel gas to my 1HZ cruiser (non-turbo) - yes it was a waste of money as far as 'bang for your buck' goes........ The claimed 20% power increase was barely noticable - and would be even less so in a non turbo hilux.... I would suggest a turbo
FollowupID: 720771

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 09:06

Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 09:06
Further to my reply above I will relate my recent experience during a rebuild of my 1HD FT.

The vehicle has had gas on it for about 4 years now, I have owned it for 2.5 years. The gas was not tuned properly or set up properly when I got it so it made no difference to performance, initially. I was chasing noises in the engine so I had the injectors and pump done up and that made a significant difference to performance, next I had the gas repaired, long story, and the guys who designed this particular system in Dungog NSW requested I take it to them for repairs and tuning. I did that and the vehicle went heaps better again. Gas really does work well if it is set up and tuned properly, on turbos only apparently.

The gas burns more of the particulate matter, read soot, so much so that there is less out the exhaust and the internals of the motor when it was pulled down were the cleanest of any motor I have seen in a long time. The lobes on the crank were shiny and the internals general were as clean as you would expect in a new engine. This motor had done about 290,000K. There was very little wear in the motor except what you would expect from a motor that had been driven kindly throughout its life. There was one piston which had a crack in it otherwise the motor was pretty good. It was certainly running well before I had it pulled down. I was chasing noises not an ailing motor.

The oil as inspected during the services, like most I do my own, was the cleanest I have seen in any diesel, especially the diesels around the farm.

I know I rabbit on a bit but it takes less time to read than it does to write.

Anyhow there are my observations on gas and turbos.

Hope this helps,
Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 448461

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:21

Thursday, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:21
G'day Bueff
Do a search on these topics

Diesel - Gas Conversion Feedback? @ exploroz Forum? - 9 Jan 2011
Diesel - gas conversion v Chipping @ ExplorOz Forum? - 3 Jun 2008
Diesel gas conversion nissan 3.0L TD series 4 @ ExplorOz Forum? - 15 Sep 2006
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 448466

Reply By: Bueff - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 16:31

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 16:31
Thanks everyone for your help,

talked to a few mechanics again and they all basically said the same, leave the engine alone as it is, if the gas is not done proper it will ruin it.
So we better leave it that way, have been reading through a few threads and some of the hiluxes get a pretty decent milage if looked after them.
Also stumbled past a shop that makes lift off canopies which is a great idea, so the tools stay locked away on side and reduced wear and tear on the car, no to mention fuel savings.

Enjoy your weekend

Jens
AnswerID: 448660

Sponsored Links