dometic Absorption fridge RM2350 does not appear to work on 12v.

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 18:06
ThreadID: 85186 Views:5655 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I refer to thread 85149.

As per some suggestions I took the vents of the back of the fridge to check the power going in, I also made sure that the 12v switch was on.

I put the multimeter on what appeared to be the power and earth, but no reading.

The wires were located behind the bottom vent.

I had a look at the neat little fuse box near the battery, but ther was no fuse for the fridge.

Suggestions please.

I sure its something simple but can't figure it out.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 18:21

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 18:21
Most of these fridges have a relay that is activated by the car ignition so that it will not work if the car ignition is off. This is to prevent the fridge from flattening the car battery. Check it out with the car connected and the ignition on.
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 449072

Follow Up By: snapper49 - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 19:19

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 19:19
And most are wired so that 12 volt only runs when you have your car and trailer plug attached
ie you cant run it unless hooked up to the tow car
FollowupID: 721376

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:11

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:11
Hi Boo Boo. I wonder if you have a similar problem to what I had. Have a look at thread 84864. I also found Jayco had wired the 12 pin plug so that the 12v charge supply for the van battery and the 12v supply for the fridge had the pins/wires reversed. That took a bit to nut out also. Cheers,Bob

AnswerID: 449079

Reply By: Mark C - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 21:32

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 21:32
Boo Boo, your fridge only works on 12v from your tow vehicle. The van fridge is not and should not be connected to your van battery.

Regards

Mark
AnswerID: 449086

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:39

Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:39
OK I think I have found part of the problem, with help from Matthew at Trail-a-van in Toowoomba.

Matthew suggested I check the voltage with a few tests.

At the cranking battery I get 12.47v with the motor running and 13.71v at the second battery.

At the anderson plug on the car and only the ignition on I am only getting 11.75v.

With the motor running I am getting 12.81v. So there is a voltage drop of 0.9v

At the back of the fridge I am getting only 10.31v whether the car is running or not.

It appears that there is a substantial voltage drop from the battery to the fridge.

The wiring from the battery to the anderson plug at the back of the troopy was put in by an auto electrician when we had our first van. The wires are not a great deal thicker than trailer wiring.

Even if I replace the wiring from the battery to the back of the car it appears that there is still a substantial drop in voltage to the back of the fridge.

Hence the van is going into trail-a-van to see where the remainder of the problem is .

The funny part is that you were all right when you said the car needs to be connected etc, but when I had finished the tests I disconnected the trailer plug and the anderson plug and the tested the fridge again it was still reading 10.31v

The results will be posted early next week,,,,,,I hope.

!
AnswerID: 449120

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 13:16

Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 13:16
YOU BEAUTY,,,,I finally worked it out.

Matthew at Trail-a-van also suggested that seeing I didn't have a wire from the battery to number 2 in the 7 pin plug that I should run one from the pin to the anderson plug at the back of the troopy and see if that boosted voltage.

75mm of trailer wire and fitted 2 minutes later and I am now getting 12.03v at the fridge when the troopy is idling.

This weekend I will get the isolation switch and larger cabling from the battery to the back of the car which hopefully will get me about 12.5v to the fridge.

The isolation switch for the 12v is in the van. I think that needs to be on the ignition.

FollowupID: 721448

Follow Up By: Not so grey nomads - Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 20:44

Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 20:44
Can I add that Trail a van Toowoomba are excellent at helping and their prices are often considerably better than other suppliers
FollowupID: 721488

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:16

Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:16
G'day Not so grey nomads

We have 10 acres near quirindi NSW and about 18 months ago I bought a large van in qld to go on the block.

On the way home a bearing ran hot and almost ceased.

We drove into Toowoomba about 4 pm on a Friday afternoon and they bent over backwards to help us,, and yes the price was quite reasonable.

This time I did nothave to look around for another dealer I just rang them and once again fantastic help and service.

FollowupID: 721521

Sponsored Links