Tyre Damage

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:14
ThreadID: 85290 Views:2525 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I had the bad luck to have a sharp root puncture the wall of one of my as new BFG A/T tyres ($300 plus).The stick was about 8 to10mm in diameter and it was just a few mm too large to be sealed satisfactory with a plug. I had a tyre guy in a small town in the NT place a patch over the hole on the inside of the tube. Although he indicated that in his opinion the tyre would be air tight, to be on the safe side he put a tube in the tyre. I am presently using the tyre as my second spare.
Question: Has anyone used a tyre over outback road conditions that has been similarly repaired and if so for how long ? Should I just keep it as my second spare and take a punt on it ? Should I just dump it ?
Help would be appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 13:25

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 13:25
That’s what’s commonly called a two or three plugger lol. Yes I always endeavour to get the tyres back to a tubeless state and I don’t consider the damage as you’ve described it to be to bad at all. Just use a bigger patch. I would knit the external rubber back together using a pliant glue such as Maverick Bond if it required it. I’d imagine that you would barely be able to finmd the hole now if it was a simple point penetration as opposed to a gash.. Having said all that, the tyre bloke has given the right advice. They are reluctant to mend side wall damage quoting Australian standards not all of which is correct. Public liability being what it is, they will always err on the side of caution as it saves being sued if the tyre fails. Mick Hutton of Beadell tours has written a good article about what can and can’t be repaired in regards to tyre damage and you’d be surprised. Have a look at the Beadell tours website.

Out of necessity, I’ve fixed some pretty bad gashes in tyres of all descriptions. I’m not necessarily condoning the practise but I think with a largish radial patch on the inside and the outside knitted (if it requires it), you have a serviceable tyre. I've used repaired tyres, both tubeless and tubed on vehicles and trailers for a couple of years with no issue. If that concerned, don’t put it on the front. Leave it on the back or as a spare. It’s still serviceable with a tube in it, just harder to fix if it gets punctured again.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 449570

Follow Up By: Member - The old fellow - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 18:43

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 18:43
Thanks Mick The old guy who did the repair for me must have read Mick Huttons great web page !! Even used the talcum powder. Pity the first place I took the tyre to, which involving a hundred k drive both ways, had not read it also. Oh well I expect he was thinking of any repercussions with legal implications.
Thanks again
Chas
FollowupID: 721998

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 15:10

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 15:10
For gods sake keep it, it'll last you for ever
AnswerID: 449585

Reply By: nick b - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 21:29

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 21:29
you could try taking it to a truck tyre repairer and ask about a major repair !!! good luck
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 449644

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:07

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:07
had a similar problem and the guy put a decent sized patch on it. Did it properly too, good prep etc... he advised it was only temporary (as you would expect) so we pulled it off for another look about 1000 k later and it was still perfect.
ran it as a front tyre only until it finally wore out.

The advice I have had on tubes is never to run them inside a tubeless tyre as they can run too hot leading to tube failure. Then its the old story, there is no such thing as slow leak when a tube blows out, whereas a tubeless will normally leak more slowly.

Of course this applies to punctures not torn walls.

A
AnswerID: 449694

Follow Up By: Member - The old fellow - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:18

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:18
Thanks Andrew but I would presume if the tube blows then the actual tyre would deflate more slowly as it would still partly retain some air? Was your repair on the wall of the tyre ?
FollowupID: 722077

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:55

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:55
Unfortunately in the worst possible spot a stone was punched through the shoulder.

The problem with the tube deflating is that you lose the seal at the valve hole in the rim so even if the tyre is in one piece the air has an escape path that is bigger than the puncture point.

A
FollowupID: 722081

Reply By: Rainman WA - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:59

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:59
I punched a hole in the side wall of one of my Savero ATs several years ago. It was about 50mm in diameter, so I took it to a tyre shop and they sent it off for a major repair.

I got the thing back and it did another 20,000km on the back of my vehicle, including a 7000km treck through central Australia. In the end the tyre delaminated before the repair let go.
AnswerID: 449698

Follow Up By: Member - The old fellow - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:49

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:49
Thanks Guys for all your input
As the add says "I feel better now !!
Cheers
FollowupID: 722095

Sponsored Links