Brake Squeal

Submitted: Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:16
ThreadID: 8530 Views:1602 Replies:13 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites,
I have what I would call bad brake squeal on my 3.0 litre diesel GU, anybody got any bright ideas on how to at least reduce the noise? I tried oiling the pads which was one suggestion but all that did was effect the stopping distance. In the past I've cut a slot in the centre of the pad to reduce the noise, as mentioned before anybody got any witches remedies as to how to stop the noise, the dealer explained it's to do with the non asbestos linings they now use and there isn't a lot you can do about, any offers????? Keep the shiny side up
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:39

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:39
Oiling the pads??? Please tell me your joking...?

Some new pads have a metal tab in them when they get low they squeal to tell you they are low on meat...

Im havign similar issues with the rears on the GQ, could be a bearing or something else..
AnswerID: 37320

Follow Up By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:49

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:49
Not surprised that it affected the stopping distance.......Martyns other car is a Rangie and I think you put oil on everything with them or is it just the leaks that make it appear that way......LOL

Mark
FollowupID: 27045

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 00:25

Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 00:25
Bruce,
Give me some credit, oil................. Just for your info the pads are in good nick I haven't seen any tabs I'm having a better look tomorrow, and Mark there's nothing wrong with the braks on a Rangie, you might be right about the oil but, they never squeal......... Hummmmmmmm Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 27071

Reply By: fatz - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:39

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:39
Martyn,
There should be a steel shim between the pad and the piston. Put some silicon betweeen the shim and the pad, put the pads back in and pump the pedal up before the silicon drys. If you dont pump it up before the silicon drys you'll end up with a spongy pedal. It works for me every time.

keep the shiny side up.
AnswerID: 37321

Reply By: Member - Alan- Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:45

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:45
Martyn, I saw somewhere, probaly this forum, that filing a chamfer on the leading edge of the pads worked to cut squealing.
Got to be safer than oiling pads ........... where did you get that idea from? I think whoever put you on to that remedy doesn't like you very much!
AnswerID: 37322

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:51

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:51
gday martyn.
theres 2 things to try.
first swap the left outer pad with the right outer pad.
or pull all pads out and rub the face on a cement driveway untill the shine has gone from the pads.back by popular demand
:-)
AnswerID: 37324

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:52

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:52
Im supprised oiling didnt fix it permanently!!!
must have had too much breaking distance available....
I'm sure he's joking......?????Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 37325

Reply By: Mickl - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:56

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:56
Mate, Never apply oil to your brake pads! thats crazy! and just plain dangerous!
Brakes can squeal because the friction material has worn down (They are designed to do this to let you know its time for a pad change) However if they are in good condition there are other things that can cause brake squeal. The most likely is glazed friction material, this can be cured with a bit of emery paper. Other things that cause brake squeal are wrong type of friction material or cheap and nasty pads. Also check that the anti rattle springs are fitted correctly.
AnswerID: 37327

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 00:43

Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 00:43
Forumites,
Just to put the records straight it was my sense of humour that told me to write about the oil option not a so called mate. I'm of a mechanical ilk and have been for a long time just to put things right. Any other suggestions? I like the ones I have read so far, I need a suggestion for each wheel so I can see which one works the best, keep em coming............Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 37380

Reply By: mudgutz - Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 01:21

Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 01:21
mate now ive read it all .........lol..swap the pads over...file the leading edge....
cut a groove.......the squeel you here is simply a build up of brake dust
solution ..get under the thing and give the brakes a good hose down once a week while they are cold do it in the morning before going to work the drive will dry everything out again nicely to aviod rust build up on the rotors the first time you do it you will find no doubt that there is so much dust in there a river of black crap will come out and about a week later if your driving it daily the squeel will start to come back simply hose it out again.......happens to me every week or so without fail .....
AnswerID: 37384

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:18

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:18
gday mudgutz.
fropm reading previous posts i can gather that (a)your a motor mechanic.
or (b)you know a little about mechanics.thats ok
but when it comes to brakes you obviously wouldnt have a clue what your on about.
you get on laughing about some of the ideas people put foward swapping pads/cut out grooves/filling leading edges.
what do you find so funny about that.
cutting a groove gives the dust build up some where to go wheres the funny bit in that.
swapping pads well a guy from dba explained to me that all brakes have a squeal but cant normaly be heard if the pads have a bad squeal swapping pads give different pitches in frequencies getting rid of squeeling(if its the cause) since being told that its worked in lots of cases.
and filling leading edges im not sure about the reason behind it but more and more pads are now coming out with chamfered leading edges now.
but now if you think you have heard it all now the most stupid thing ive heard in all my life was a bloke that says he gets under his car once a week to wash out the brake dust geez what a wanker he is(opps that was you wasnt it )
the guy only asked for ideas grow up biggutz oh sorry mudgutz and let people put there ideas foward and let them find out for them self what works and what dosnt.back by popular demand
FollowupID: 27158

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:59

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:59
Lucky Martyn isn't in Victoria taking your advice mudgutz....with the current water restrictions in place, I am sure that he would be %^&&*& off if he copped a huge fine as well as still having squeeky brakes...raflmaoJust Do It!

FollowupID: 27162

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 07:12

Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 07:12
Turn the radio up and you dont hear any squeeks rattles or squeals.
And keep that oil up to those brake pads lol.

All the best
Eric

4x4 tag alongs to the cape and beyondCape York Connections
AnswerID: 37391

Follow Up By: Allan 2 (Pilbara) - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 07:16

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 07:16
Anybody that suggests using oil is a Gumby, Everybody knows you should only use grease
FollowupID: 27123

Reply By: howesy - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 09:16

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 09:16
The dealer had some merit. Because they are heading towards a complete NIL asbestos content in pads the manufacturers are still changing compounds around to try and get the best all round compound for longevity and noise and fade characteristics. you can reduce noise to some extent but I feel that until they get the compounds atable it is something to annoy all of us.
AnswerID: 37462

Reply By: David N. - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 11:35

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 11:35
Yeh Martyn, I saw your humour. I like it!

Fixed a bad squeal by
1. jacking up and removing wheeels
2. starting engine and popping in 1st gear
3. emery paper on the discs to remove resin build up
No problems since, but it IS a common problem with modern pads (no asbestos) as is dramatically increased rotor wear....
You might need to try a different brand/compound pad.
Cheers
AnswerID: 37463

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:16

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:16
gday mudgutz.
fropm reading previous posts i can gather that (a)your a motor mechanic.
or (b)you know a little about mechanics.thats ok
but when it comes to brakes you obviously wouldnt have a clue what your on about.
you get on laughing about some of the ideas people put foward swapping pads/cut out grooves/filling leading edges.
what do you find so funny about that.
cutting a groove gives the dust build up some where to go wheres the funny bit in that.
swapping pads well a guy from dba explained to me that all brakes have a squeal but cant normaly be heard if the pads have a bad squeal swapping pads give different pitches in frequencies getting rid of squeeling(if its the cause) since being told that its worked in lots of cases.
and filling leading edges im not sure about the reason behind it but more and more pads are now coming out with chamfered leading edges now.
but now if you think you have heard it all now the most stupid thing ive heard in all my life was a bloke that says he gets under his car once a week to wash out the brake dust geez what a wanker he is(opps that was you wasnt it )
the guy only asked for ideas grow up biggutz oh sorry mudgutz and let people put there ideas foward and let them find out for them self what works and what dosnt.back by popular demand
AnswerID: 37505

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:17

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:17
whoops wrong spotback by popular demand
FollowupID: 27157

Follow Up By: mudgutz - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:48

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:48
i heard you the first time...

the most stupid thing ive heard in all my life was a bloke that says he gets under his car once a week to wash out the brake dust geez what a wanker he is(opps that was you wasnt it )

yeah mate as stupid as you jacking up your truck and pulling off the wheels pulling down the brakes ...swapping them over only to find to your surprise that a week later the dust has built up in there and you have to do it again...yeah I can see why my ideas silly because we have to put up with intelligent time saving labour saving ideas like yours... what does it take an hour to change the pads over......please enlighten all us wankers as to how you think that swapping the pads from one side to the other is gonna stop brake dust building up one little bit are the pads that were on the left magically gonna stop wearing and making dust just because there on the right or have you a technical answer for you brilliant idea.......at least removing the dust by hosing works.......although you have to do it weekly or so to keep the squeal down......how does your idea work mate just how does swapping the pads remove the cause of the squeal the brake dust
my comment comes from having as I stated read em all and tried most of them from cutting the disc to sanding the glaze off to swapping the pads to machining the discs to get rid of my squeal permanently and guess what discs still wear and the dust still builds up and she still squeals and mate I can tell you from experience that my way works....again how does your idea work how technically does swapping the pads over remove the brake dust....mate enlighten us
FollowupID: 27382

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:30

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:30
gday mudgutz.
mate now ive read it all .........lol..swap the pads over...file the leading edge....
cut a groove.
the above piece you typed is what anoyed me the most people were just giving martyn ideas then you get on and laugh at them thats my point.
back by popular demand
FollowupID: 27406

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:52

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:52
Forumites,
Thanx for all the responses, took the lot to bits at the weekend, found quite a bit of dust, pads where half worn (ish), apart from that all looked good, I couldn't swap the pads around because the inner pads on the GU have a little tab that sticks out about an inch or so that doesn't allow interchangebility. Anyway, emerying the pads and a general clean up seems to have helped considerably. I toyed with the silicon idea, when I took the offside rear tyre off someone had put what looks like high temp silicon gasket goo, didn't look that good anyway. Seeing the pads are getting to the end of their life I'll see how I go and then experiment with different brands, that could well be the go, I suppose cost will come into how much I experiment. Thanx for the pointer with the grease versus oil, I thought the oil ran off the pads to easy, at least the pad hold the grease better......lol.. Thanks for all the ideas, gratefully accepted. I didn't intend to start a bun fight half way through, that came as bit of a surprise. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 37583

Follow Up By: mudgutz - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 10:00

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 10:00
yeah i didnt expect a bung fight either but you just never know ......its a public place......and i do reserve the right of reply lol......as you stated there was quite a bit of dust in there and an emery and a general clean up helped heaps......just keep hosing em out mate that will keep the dust down
FollowupID: 27384

Sponsored Links