budget meals

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 21:08
ThreadID: 85305 Views:3567 Replies:15 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone could help me out with budget meal ideas please. We are heading off in less than 10 days now, so I am starting to pack the pantry and prepare my shopping lists for the fridge and freezer.
I was hoping to keep meal costs below $10 focusing mainly on the evening meal. We are travelling with our 3 boys so I need to keep it as nutritious and tasty as possible whilst making sure portion sizes are big enough to fill the tummy of growing boys.
I look forward to your suggestion.
Cheers Loz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 21:21

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 21:21
A great 1 pot 1 burner budget meal is to get some dehydrated peas and deb mashed potato.

I can't remember the quantitys but soak the peas in something like 2 cups water until they fluff up and then add Deb until you get the right consistency.

This leaves no residue and provides a filling bulk of hot food.

To this add a simple coleslaw - carrots cabbage whatever which provides
real goodness and nutrition.

End result, low cost quick and easy and basically you need no fridge.

The peas can be exchanged for baked beans on occasion !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 449639

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 21:21

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 21:21
My four grandsons love this meal - chicken legs or thigh fillets, french onion soup, tin butter mushrooms, fresh mushrooms, onion, bacon, bit of water - in casserole dish - or electric frypan - cook till chicken is done.
Serve with crusty breadstick. (quantitiies to suit your family)

I have served it the grandsons, at dinner parties (using breast fillets), camping, taken to parties - always goes down well.

AnswerID: 449640

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 21:25

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 21:25
Another favourite is - my version of scrambled eggs - eggs, tin crushed tomato, or chopped fresh tomatoes - tin four bean mix (well rinsed-its the juice makes you pass wind!) - onion - cook onion and tomatoe in pan, add four bean mix and eggs, mixing well (you can beat eggs together if you want) - cook till ready. Nice served on toast.
FollowupID: 722028

Follow Up By: Member - Jayco_Mauler (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 22:33

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 22:33
I am stealing the first one Julie!!! It sounds nice and simple and i know i will love it already!!

Cheers

Mauler
FollowupID: 722181

Reply By: SDG - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 21:57

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 21:57
As a treat get a counter meal at the pub. Talk to the locals. Many places have two for one nights.
AnswerID: 449647

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 23:16

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 23:16
With three children?????
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 722047

Follow Up By: SDG - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 01:40

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 01:40
Most pubs have seperate dining areas to the bars. In some towns I notice, the pub is the only place to have a bought meal.
I know of one that will evict patrons for saying one swear word.

I'm guessing that comment was about kids being exposed to pubs.
FollowupID: 722056

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 02:47

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 02:47
nah, I reckon it was more about the original poster asking for budget meal ideas under $10.
I have 5 kids and a meal out anywhere except maybe chinky is out of control. Especially as they usually only offer a plate of 3 or 4 chook nuggets (or manky greasy Basa rubbish) and a few chips for $10-$15 EACH.
FollowupID: 722057

Follow Up By: SDG - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:58

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:58
Thats why I said as a treat.

Narooma last Christmas.
Two Adult roast dinners (two for one) $10.00, one kid had roast as there is only one of me.
Three other kids had chicken schnitzel with vegies 6.00 each.
Desert included.
Total for 1 adult, four kids, $28.00. Not cheap but not over priced.

What is Chinky?

FollowupID: 722082

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:09

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:09
First three letters give me a hint as to the nationality of the take away.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 722086

Follow Up By: SDG - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:46

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:46
If Chinky is Chinese, i'm trying to work out how that is under control. I found it to be the most expensive. Was thinking it might be a budget take a way, not available here.
FollowupID: 722094

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:59

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:59
In some places International Food Halls Asian foods stalls have a large platter with a bit of everything that would practically feed a family for a few dollars; very good value - i couldn't buy the ingredients for the price.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 722099

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 17:13

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 17:13
At least with Chinese you can get as many dishes as needed plus rice as a filler and put it in the middle. And the ever popular prawn crackers!
FollowupID: 722128

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 08:27

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 08:27
Not every ones in WA like us MH

the pub prices have to be seen to be believed elswhere to to subsadies by pokies

I took my parents out to the local in Adelaide and 3 meals, desrts, salad bar and a drink each was about $50

still its a small price we pay for no pokies
FollowupID: 722217

Reply By: Member - Geoff H (Q - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 22:01

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 22:01
We used a lot of one pot Mince dishes on our trip. Add some packet soup for flavour.

We used fresh vegetable where possible and found dehydrated peas to be our best friend.

Regards
AnswerID: 449649

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 23:23

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 23:23
I too use a lot of mince when travelling (it is the most versatile space saving meat when freezer space is small). Likewise fresh veges, then dehydrated. I also use a packet of 10 minute noodles or rice to flavour the mince for something different in the one pot meals. I have already giving John and Loz a link to the caravan cooking section of my website.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 722050

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 22:07

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 22:07
Loz, making budget meals on the road is no different then budget meals at home.

Why do you think there would be a difference?

If you can cook your half way there.

What one person may find appetising and wholesome another may not.

If you want some thing OK and cheap try mixed beans in a can.

You haven't said how long your going for as this can make a big difference in what you have for meals, something you can put up with for a few days or a week may not be that good after a month.
AnswerID: 449651

Follow Up By: John & Loz - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 22:19

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 22:19
Its true olcoolone, budget meals are the same on the road as in the home kitchen. However it is an never ending challenge to come up with new ideas, Hence I put up this post. I have the old trusty receipes but was looking for something new and interesting.
We are heading off for 2 years and so I will obviously be shopping as we travel. I just wanted to kick off on the right foot.
I am huge believer in fresh fruit and vegies and if they are unavailable the frozen, canned and dehydrated versions will have to do. Iam in experienced with these but as they say necessity is the mother of all invention and I need receipes to work with.
No point trying to re invent the wheel when others already have the experience.
Cheers Loz
FollowupID: 722042

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 07:28

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 07:28
If your heading of for two years I wouldn't be looking at budget meals, eating right and well is the biggest part of staying health.... it's not fun travelling with some one who is sick.

A meal can be as dear or as cheap as you want, back in the 18th century Turtle Soup was all the rage and only eaten but the upper class, the lower class wanted the same so they made a soup called Mock Turtle Soup, instead of Turtle it was made using Cow heads being Cow heads were a lot cheaper then Turtle.

Instead of asking here for ideal...... you will get millions some good some not so, go and buy some travel cooking books by some one like Viv Moon book -

http://www.guidebooks.com.au/cookbook%20outdoor.htm

Or the famous Green and Gold -

http://www.cook-books.com.au/ccp0-prodshow/green-gold-cookery-book-new-softcover-recipe-cookbook.html

When travelling there is no cheap way as food prices and availability vary from place to place and season to season.

Here's some tips...

1) Get meats cryovaced and learn what to use first.
2) Store all fresh fruit and vegetables in air tight containers and learn what to use first.
3) Only use as much as you need and don't keep left overs.
4) Keep at least 1 weeks emergency supply of non perishable food (like canned stuff).
5) Keep meals simple.
Don't use general water as drinking water (buy drinking water in casks, not from a tap).
6) Try not to take food stuffs in glass as it can break and is harder to dispose off.
7) Wash hands more then if at home with a antiseptic soap.
8) Burn all food scraps in a fire and do the same with cans ( any thing that has not turned to ash take with you and dispose of properly and don't bury rubbish).
FollowupID: 722060

Reply By: SDG - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 22:31

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 22:31
Don't forget to let the kids cook. Let them make damper, Throw some spuds in some hot coals, Snags stuck on the ends of a stick and held over the fire etc
AnswerID: 449660

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 23:19

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 23:19
All great ways to get children to love camping. Although bear in mind weather conditions, seasons and fire restrictions before considering a camp fire.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 722048

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 22:40

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 22:40
G`day John & Loz,

Coker Kola Chicken.
Quantity of ingredients depends upon number of people and can be varied if required.

Chicken thighs, or breast fillets, or what ever. ( Rabbit is also good but not Roadkill ...... LOL )
Cooking oil.
Plain Flour
Coker Kola, (enough to cover Chicken)
Onions (one or two )
Pkt French Onion Soup Mix.
Pkt Dehydrated Peas, Corn, Carrot, or etc etc.
Other Chopped or sliced veg if you want.

In a camp oven or deep pan add some oil and cook onions over high heat until just starting to brown.
Add Chicken and cook, turning until outside is browned all over.
Add Kola until chicken is covered.
Add French onion Soup Mix.
Bring to the boil and then simmer until the liquid is reduced to about half and it no longer tastes like Kola.
Add other ingredients and simmer till cooked.
Thicken with Flour if required.

Served with toast or fresh Bread ........................ De- bloody- lishess.

Enjoy,

Scrubby
AnswerID: 449661

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 23:25

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 23:25
Do they like pasta? Meals with pasta are a good filler for children, and pasta is light to pack and quick and easy to cook.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 449665

Reply By: Farmboywa - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 23:33

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 23:33
G'day John & Loz, rolled oats and honey and fruit for fruit porridge. Pasta shells and peas and corn and diced tinned meat swimming in pasta sauce. Bread and butter for mopping up. Boiled rice and condensed milk. Hope this gives you something to work with. Have a safe and fun journey.
AnswerID: 449666

Reply By: Darren H1 - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 08:39

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 08:39
When we travelled we bought a thermal cooker (shuttle chef) not only can you prep meals in the morning and leave in the shuttle chef to dinner time they come with a fantastic cook book for quick and easy, cheap meals.
AnswerID: 449680

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:34

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:34
Hey Motherhen, do you have any suggestions that would help me get my wife to like camping? Cooking won't do it!

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 449687

Reply By: John and Lynne - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:00

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:00
For five of you, including three hungry boys! you need bulk and nutrition and you don't want to be a slave to the stove. I would also recommend a thermal cooker that uses very little gas (10 minutes to bring it to the boil then it sits in its insulated container until you are ready. These are like the slow cooker at home in that they do well with all the cheap cuts and make lovely soups and stews and can be left unattended for hours.
When I was cooking on a tightish budget for 3 growing kids I found that adding presoaked and parcooked dried beans to a stew or soup is a winner for cost and nutrition, as are lentils. Note it is MUCH cheaper and lighter to carry packets of dried beans or lentils than to carry the overpriced tins.
A recent dish my grandkids loved recently was a tasty beef stew (shin or gravy beef trimmed and chopped before being frozen) with some beans and plenty of mushrooms and vegies and plenty of gravy. After sitting it in the thermal pot for a few hours, I brought it back to the boil on the stove and added some frozen peas and a couple of large cups of mararoni and simmered it until the pasta was cooked, about 10 minutes. The pasta soaked up the surplus gravy.
Lo! A very tasty and filling one pot meal from very basic ingredients. You can do a similar thing with any favourite casserole recipe and you save gas and water by cooking it all in one pot. Lynne
AnswerID: 449691

Follow Up By: John and Lynne - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 13:26

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 13:26
Another thing I find that helps you ring the changes on the budget meals is to pack a good selection of dried herbs and spices. Today the mince is spag bol -next time mince and beans is chili con carne - then home made hamburgers - just change the seasonings! I do not buy those expensive bottles of spice either. I buy the much better value small packets. When open I put the whole opened packet inside a small ziplock plastic bag and the whole collection of spices fits in a plastic Tupperware type container that takes up hardly any space or weight in the van. Lynne
FollowupID: 722101

Reply By: Danger Mouse - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 17:06

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 17:06
Last year when we (wife & I and 3 kids - 13 to 8) did a lap of the east half, my wife would check out the markdown specials in the supermarkets whenever we shopped. Often she was able to pick up quality meats and dairy that was close to date but still good - based on the fact that we would be eating it wiithin a day or 2.

One memorable meal was cheesy pastry triangles for entree, porterhouse steak and spuds (cooked in the Weber BabyQ) with mixed frozen veg for mains and fruit and yoghurt for dessert, washed down with a nice clean skin shiraz at the Attack Creek rest area in NT. Total cost worked out at about $5 per head.
AnswerID: 449724

Reply By: John & Loz - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 20:36

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 20:36
Thanks for your input everyone, its much appreciated. Some great ideas and good points raised. I have been searching the net also and have come up with some great ideas. I'm off to checkout the dehydrated vegies at the supermarket tomorrow. Sounds like the way to go in the absence of fresh produce. I have an apple tree here laden in fruit, Spent today stewing them and freezing in sandwich bags and laying them on a tray in the freezer they are surprisingly flat. This means I can still give the kids their fruit in the absence of fresh. I guess as they say where there is a will, there is a way.
Went to the local chicken wholesaler today and picked up some great bargains. Chicken wings $1.49kg, Breast schnitzel fresh $9.50 for 5, crumbed tenderloins $1.00 each(they are huge) Premium beef mince $ 6.99kg, Gourmet sausages $5.99kg. So have already filled the engel on freeze nearly 3/4, between fruit and meat.
What I have learnt is to just keep my eyes open for these type of places when we come to major towns. Buy up big and then use the internet for receipe ideas if things become to mundane and repedative.
Once again thanks one and all, hope to see you out there somewhere.
safe travels

Loz
AnswerID: 449749

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 17:00

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 17:00
If you have a jaffle iron, make up a sloppy damper mix - about toothpaste consistency.

Slop some in the iron and give to the kids to cook.

Once done split the result and drop on some golden syrup or honey - yum.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

FollowupID: 722459

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:29

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:29
Hi Loz, one thing we always have on hand when camping & travelling is...
corned beef. Buy a good size piece at the supermarket & cook it yourself. It
keeps very well & can be sliced for sandwiches or rolls, or used as the meat base
with veg for dinner. Easily replenished on the road..buy another & boil it up.
Far cheaper than buying pre sliced stuff..& tastes good with your fav sauce etc.
cheers.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 449828

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:22

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:22
And don't forget the cabbage and mashed potatoes, Deb instant if you don't have the real thing.

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 722242

Sponsored Links