Travel/Outdoor shows on the idiot box - boring!!

Submitted: Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 18:01
ThreadID: 8532 Views:2504 Replies:12 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Watched Getaway on TV last night and got to thinking how good it would be to see a decent TV show revolving around 4wd/camping/caravaning instead. These current travel/outdoor shows seem to think all we are interested in is travelling overseas or staying in super flash B&B's or 7 star resorts.

If I had my way there would be a weekly hour long 4wd/camping/caravanning show with say, 2 or 3 segments on camping destinations (but not our own favourite or secret spots), a short segment on technical or maintenance aspects of vehicle, trailer, caravan or boat, a segment on new products, throw in a segment on the principles of treading lightly etc, etc, etc.

With caravan and camping trailer manufacturers struggling to keep up with demand, the fact that (particularly during holiday times) most camping areas up and down the east coast are chockers with wall to wall tents, and 4wd and all wheel drive sales remaining strong, I reckon there would be a reasonable market and consequently ratings for such a show.

If TV programmers can inflict us with some of this other reality crap like auction/real estate shows, home/backyard improvemnts shows, cooking shows etc then they can give us a 4wd/camping/caravanning show to sustain us through the working week.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mick - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 18:18

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 18:18
Great idea John,

I hope someone will run with this. What also surprises me is the outlandish prices some of these holidays cost (compared to camping/caravaning) clearly out of reach of the average bloke with a family on an average wage.

GREAT IDEA Mate

Mick
AnswerID: 37330

Reply By: Brian - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 19:17

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 19:17
Yep.... great idea ... but I think (and I may stand corrected here folks...if anyone knows for sure, feel free to correct me!) that the way it works is this;
the resort wants advertising... pays tv network BIG bucks to have them included on the show... the places that Joe Average likes to visit may not be able to afford to be on Getaway/Great Outdoors/E.T/Creek To Coast/Rex Hunt etc etc..... so as usual the almighty dollar wins again and we are bombarded with 7 trillion dollar/night 69 star resorts that look great on telly... and that's about the closest that us "plebs" will get to 'em.
A program that showcases the great fourby tracks/camping area's/caravan parks???? I wouldn't miss a single episode.... even if Rex was the presenter!
:-)

Cheers
Brian

AnswerID: 37336

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 21:00

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 21:00
G'day Brian,

Truer words have never been spoken.

And then of course they also get a bit [ a bloody lot] of "value adding" by sucking the gullible public into some sort of feedback or contest.

Just ring this little 1900 number folks - ring as many times as you like

I think the original idea of this thread is great - nice to dream

enjoy the bush

DennisN
FollowupID: 27057

Reply By: Barry B - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 20:55

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 20:55
It's a great idea and I would be glued to the idiot box too if a show like this was on, BUT........ if we show everyone how much fun can be had camping and 4WDing, it may catch on and the costs will increase with the popularity of such a show.
Bring back Mike and Mal.
AnswerID: 37345

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 21:19

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 21:19
We would like to get something like the ExplorOz show on TV or even pay networks. Come on the producers out there we have the info, material, locations, personalites - All we need is the go ahead!Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 37347

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 12:31

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 12:31
Yea!!! wev'e got "old soilder, Truster etc" What more do we need???
All the TV shows Have screen names to protect Privacy.Designing a new camper Heaps of choises
FollowupID: 27141

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 22:20

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 22:20
Great Idea. I looked at the same idea and similar format a couple of years ago and the local WIN TV station would assist etc but each episode then would cost approx $25,000 to produce. Too rich for me.ne cede malis
AnswerID: 37356

Reply By: JohnR - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 22:45

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 22:45
Was a good short bit on the George Negus program a few weeks back about the "grey nomads", yes I identify, but was just a taste. Ron Moon was the identity in this case.

There are plenty on here that could accept nomination for doing it better and or cheaper to get a better understanding. Can think of several actually that appear to develop story lines with their travels. No names folks but there are some good'ns.

Didn't see getaway, not sure i wanted.......
AnswerID: 37368

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 17:52

Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 17:52
was talking to friends recently, or read in the paper, they're now called grey gonads, something to do with the skin being similar....being innocent I woudn't understand....Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 27104

Reply By: Nomad - Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 00:55

Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 00:55
Your right BarryB, bring back Mick & Mal. May have been a bit corny but at least they were on the same planet as us.

Got to admit though, I do like to watch Getaway or perhaps I should say Catriona (big big grin).

About the only one that really touches on our subject at times is Martin Bowerman on Creek to Coast and Great South East here in Brisbane. He's come up with some great camping spots and has produced a book "Camping in Southern & Central Queensland" which is excellent.

But of course a Nationally produced show would be the ideal.

Keep the fingures crossed. If it costs $25,000 per show I'm sure there are plenty of relevant advertisers who would be happy to get on board.

See ya in the bush
AnswerID: 37382

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 07:07

Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 07:07
John there were shows on TV leyland brothers, Malchom Douglas, Troy Dan, and a few more that slip my mind but the best of them all Russell Coit Great Aussie adventures.

You said it all in your 2nd paragraph but not your favorite spot or secret spot.
A place I go to on the mid north coast had a 4 page spread done on it in a 4x4 mag about 10 years ago and now you cant moove there at peak times.

With that many special spots around who wants them splashed all over the TV.

All the best
Eric

4x4 tag alongs to the cape and beyond

www.capeyorkconnections.com.au Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 37390

Follow Up By: wizzard - Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 08:42

Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 08:42
Bring back the Leyland Bros
FollowupID: 27084

Reply By: Member - John (Penrith) - Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 09:09

Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 09:09
Geez, Good to see I'm not the only dreamer on this issue. Thought I might be P..sing in the wind with this thread topic.

On a serious note, I reckon such a show would give the 4wd fraternity a chance to have our voice heard in the wider community on some of the issues we continually get bashed about, e.g., environment trashing, bull bars etc. A chance to put our side of the debate out there were it counts.

Yes I agree. bring back Mike & Mal and Russell Coit.

Yes it goes without saying that a blonde with a really good set wood be obligatory.

I dont know much about the TV game but I know enough to realise that its not cheap. But as they say where there's a will there's a way.

AnswerID: 37399

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 15:04

Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 15:04
Think carefully about this one fellas. Separate the caravaners (99% on the bitumen) from the off roaders, each to his own. What is the one great thing most 4WD'ers enjoy ??
Going bush - finding remote places, be they beaches, streams , rivers, mountains or gorges, deserts or forests. It's all about peace and quite, away from the yahoos and noise of the city. Throw in there a little bit of adventure also.
I tell no one about my best fishing spots and I only expect a lie when a bloke tells me where he had a great catch,. Half the fun is in the anticipation of your hard work planning a trip to where hardly anyone ever goes and the joy of the discovery or the catch.
Once you tell everyone about the most beautiful spot on earth everyone wants to go there, someone then sees a buck in it and makes it even easier to get there, then the big bucks roll in and up goes the resort and airfield. This destroys the very nature of why you thought it was so great in the first place.

I'm now thinking twice about the CSR, it used to be one of the great remote drives of the world, now sounds as though you can't find a camp spot at a well unless you stop to set up at 3.oo in the afternoon. I used to go to Bali when there were only two hotels on one side of the island and nothing at Kuta, just a couple of small local villages, many of the women were still bare chested. It was a beautiful place then, I wouldn't bother now. So you see what I mean.

Stuff the TV and all those that just want to turn it into $$$$$$$$$$$

AnswerID: 37419

Reply By: Stuart - Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 19:13

Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 19:13
You have a good point, hope somebody follows it up, but as for now we will have to put up with Getaway and the Great Outdoors! - still better than Neibours and all of that crap!
AnswerID: 37430

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:02

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:02
What about a show where there are 5 or 6 drivers - each heading to a different location ... and ... wait for it .... the viewers can VOTE via SMS at 55 cents a call for their favourite trek. Package that up over 13 weeks ... sling in a few "bush mechanic" segments .. viola .. TV channel takes in about $10 million in phone costs .. covers cost of the program ....
We could call it "Australian Idle" .....
Or has that been done??????

Great idea though......

Jack
(feeling a bit cynical with all the hype on that *other* show).No trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 37503

Sponsored Links