Unique Driver Training advice

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 20:16
ThreadID: 85348 Views:2837 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I am hoping some of you well traveled offroaders can help me.

I am trying to locate some one who offers Offroad Driver Training, not the usual 4X4 but for large heavy vehicles such as 8X8 cranes & trucks also Rough Terain Franner type cranes.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 20:22

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 20:22
A location may help ;)

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 449904

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 20:54

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 20:54
interesting question .... if had staff i needed to put through something like that i would make certain they had a lot of off road 4x4 experiance before even going down that pathway.... and at least 5 years driving a heavy truck, i know from past working on a farm with very big machinery, and heavy stuff, it is all about "reading" the terrian ahead and being able to make a good assement of the ground before moving as you mostly cant turn around or go back, there are places where a truck will get accross where a 4x4 will not and vise versa, often weight will give it traction to get through it ..... cranes have all sorts problems with stability and ground angles but you most probally know that .. a Franna will get into all sorts of places but i would not attempt a lift if it is barely hard enough to travel over ....
Kinda like "P" plates for the big stuff ...
Cheers, hope you go ok with it.
Joe
AnswerID: 449909

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 18:24

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 18:24
Steve,
I gotta agree with Joe, driving a crane up and down bad terrain is one thing but operating it is another. I know this doesn't answer your question so this may help.

Steady/ steady wins the race, low gear and in the case of a large crane cross locks in. If what you are doing feels wrong then it probably is. With a Franna keep your load close to the ground and observe your load charts and how far your machine is articulated, new ones come with lots of electronic help. This machine is not really a
rough terrain unit, it is limited by the amount of wheel articulation between the front axle and the rear one and this places a lot of strain on the articulation pin behind the cab.

Dozers and graders are a cranes best friend.

If you are in a logging area then see if you can have a talk to them, they operate in some pretty bad terrain.

All the best

FollowupID: 722464

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 21:47

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 21:47
Thanks for you replies, I am located on the east coast of NSW however location is not critical, the right training is.

Joe I understand what you are saying about having off road experience but my main concern is with roll overs as most of the vehicles have a high centre of gravity & traveling across slopes is extremely dangerous thus the training on how to read the terrain & access the desired location safely is very important
AnswerID: 449918

Reply By: gbc - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 22:49

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 22:49
Have you tried contacting Terrex?
AnswerID: 449920

Reply By: splits - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 22:50

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 22:50
Steve

This might be a bit of a long shot but if you can't find a school of some kind that offers this type of training then try ringing the Army recovery school at Bandiana Victoria. There is always the possibility that some of their former instructors, after having left the Army, are doing this work and someone there may know about it.

AnswerID: 449921

Reply By: Member - Dennis P (Scotland) - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 07:13

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 07:13
Hi Steve,

Give this mob a call, been around for years.

AnswerID: 449927

Follow Up By: Member - Dennis P (Scotland) - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 07:15

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 07:15
Blast!! Hit 'submit', instead of 'insert link'.

DECA

Cheers,
Dennis

FollowupID: 722337

Sponsored Links