Best car radio for travelling remote.

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 15:35
ThreadID: 85464 Views:3077 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Following on from Keith C question re radios, I'm wanting to fit a new radio in our caravan. The one I have has poor reception while the one in the car is a lot better, but still not great.
Is there a particular brand / model that has better reception than the others?
I'm also looking at fitting a better ariel to complement the new radio.
Thanks,
Col.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul G K (vic) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 16:11

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 16:11
Colin
Why not fit a better arial first as it may be the problem and save yourself the cost of a new radio you may not need.

Regards Paul
AnswerID: 450492

Follow Up By: Member - colin J (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 16:28

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 16:28
Hi Paul

I like your logic but I have already fitted a u beaut 2 metre hi gain antenna but since I have been told there's better ones available now.
With a lot of things technology keeps getting better and better.

Regards from Col.
FollowupID: 722980

Reply By: Atta Boy Luther - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 16:42

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 16:42
short wave radio
AnswerID: 450498

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 16:43

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 16:43
In one of my previous lives/careers I was car radio/ICE product manager for Sanyo.
Then as now the best radio performance is generally from Pioneer with their "Supertuner". I have also been recently told that JVC is good.
Both of these apply to FM only.
Just about all Japanese radios have very poor AM reception as basically Australia is the only place in the world without many close AM stations, and if you have good AM sensitivity, you must have good selectivity or the crosstalk at night will make it unlistenable. Good selectivity is expensive and is not generally demanded by major markets , so we get what we get.

BTW the Eurovox brand used to be made with good AM sensitivity BUt I do not know about now. Maybe give them a call ( In Melbourne )and see if they still do a model with good AM sensitivity.
Regard sPhilip A
AnswerID: 450499

Follow Up By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 17:06

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 17:06
Rangiephil,

An ICE manager for Sanyo, now there is a term I haven't heard for yonks not since the days when I was an ICE manager for Panasonic, or National Panasonic back then, but I have to agree Pioneer do make a very smart unit, but a Kenwood is not bad either.

Regards

Barry H
FollowupID: 722981

Reply By: Eric Experience - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 21:01

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 21:01
Col.
Mitsubishi made a radio for the Magna that was just for Australia, it has a neon screen and digital tuning. I use one with a 3 metre electrically raised whip with a FET amplifier at the base to match the impedance of the whip to the radio. If you are determined to get the best possible make a loop antenna about 20 turns 1 metre diameter and mount it so you can rotate it to null out unwanted stations. Eric
AnswerID: 450532

Reply By: Member - colin J (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 21:46

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 21:46
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I feel that being armed with this info it has given me hope that I will very shortly have the answer to my problem.

Col.
AnswerID: 450538

Reply By: Stu & "Bob" - Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 14:15

Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 14:15
G'day Col,

This is a bit sideways, but I get good AM radio reception through my Codan HF when travelling remote. "Aunty" ABC also transmit through the HF band, so I can listen to the ABC wherever I am. (good for the cricket) It also has a pre-amp in the auto tune antenna (good for getting those stations that are "down in the hash".

HTH
AnswerID: 450581

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 15:12

Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 15:12
Good AM radio reception is a combination of having a receiver with good sensitivity and selectivity in addition to having sufficent aerial.

This applies to other thread as well - basically you can attach a piece of wire to radio antenna input or clip onto car radio aerial to improve things , up to 10m is usually enough and lay it in general direction of radio stations.

A good way to get a better radio for AM is to get one from a Holden/Ford car
wreckers from a pre-1980 car. From roughly this time the sensitivity of radios was reduced to about 1/10 of what it was.

Look for a radio - labelled Diamond Dot. They were widespread industry standard from that time.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 450588

Sponsored Links