supercharge or turbo charge

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 16:22
ThreadID: 8556 Views:4319 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hey all i own a 75series landcruiser with a 2H diesel in it that has done approxamatley 80000 km. the motor just dont have enough power for me!! so what would be the most cost effective for the increase in power supercharge or turbocharge?? how much would i look at spending... P.S i would like it to be cost effective but without compermising relibleity if that can be done!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mickl - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 17:21

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 17:21
For supercharging check out www.capa.com.au for kit info and pricing.
For turbo charging try www.safari4x4.com.au.

There are pro's and con's of either way so do your research carefully before comitting any money. Also be wary of the advice you receive from fellow readers.....watch out for 'fireside opinions'. It's you vehicle and your money so base your choice on facts, not wild claims.

Mike.
AnswerID: 37484

Follow Up By: Beast2H - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 17:52

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 17:52
thanks heaps for the links and advice ill keep that in mind....
FollowupID: 27152

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 18:13

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 18:13
Beast here is some free advice (the best type)
Turboes are the most reliable way to get a descent increase in power from the 2h without effecting its economy, if and only if, they are a reputable brand and fitted and tuned correctly.
I had one for years on my 88 hj60, when i sold it the motor had 280kms still going strong.
Every now and then in the tradingpost, you can pick up a preloved kit cheap. Have it checked over and fitted with new bearings b4 getting it installed and tuned.
ARB aswell as AXT were 2 kits available back a while ago, DTS still make them now, Berrima fit these, and they are very good.
Another cheap way to get a turbo is to pick up a wreck from pickles.com.au of a factory t/d 60 and put the motor in your 75.(these are the 12ht and share thesame block as the 2h but inside everything is different)
Then you can get your $$ back plus more in selling spares plus your old 2h.
100% reliable and should end up costing nothing but time and a corner of the driveway :-)wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 37486

Follow Up By: Beast2H - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 18:16

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 18:16
thanks for the info dozer and the site
FollowupID: 27153

Reply By: floyd - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:39

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:39
checkout the safari Turbo site. They sell turbos and superchargers and have reccommendations for each including the best applications for most vehicles. They will tell you about the benefits of each. I called them with regard to my Hilux and the guy on the phone in the technical department was reasonably helpful. He did have a bit of a smartass attitude however his facts made sense to me. Safaris turbo site is http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/
AnswerID: 37528

Reply By: Ralph2 - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 21:41

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 21:41
Beast I had a Sprintex Supercharger fitted to a 1HZ motor 80,000Ks ago by powerhouse W.A The torque from this motor is truly fantastic from the moment you turn the key, you don't have to spin it up like a turbo, so you can creep around in very rough terrain. At the time it cost $5200 fitted. Maintance is simple, change the oil and renew the belt, Ive never broken a belt, and if for some reason things did go wrong with it you can still drive the vechile just go gentle with the right foot feed the fuel in slowly because the fuel pump has been opened up. If you drive normaly fuel con isnt bad recently from Birdsville- oodnadatta we used about the same as a patrol that was with us 100 lts.
AnswerID: 37593

Sponsored Links