Honda 1KVS / 2KVA

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:11
ThreadID: 85590 Views:6531 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Need some help regarding purchase of a new Honda Generator. I think for our camping needs we only need the 1KVA, we run two engels a few coleman lights, the Honda would also run a battery charger charging the camp battery through the day (top up only). However something is telling me to buy the 2KVA as it would be more practical long term and around the house etc, so has anyone been in the same situation, I realise you can put two 1KVA'S together if needed. Appreciate any feedback on how people camp with the 1KVA vs the 2KVA.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:33

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:33
I have the 1kva model and find it more than enough for what I want.....I have also used it at home during a power outage to keep the fridge and TV's running.

I would only look at the larger unit if I was getting aircon one day in a caravan or something, but for now the small one is working a treat and it's very light to cart around.
AnswerID: 451124

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:20

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:20
The 2KVA is not big enough to run a variety of things. Small air con units perhaps but you wouldn't be able to run anything else off it then. Not until you get to 2.8 or 3.0Kva that you would have some substantial benefits. It's really a matter of you thinking forward to what you may want to run via the gennie before you choose. The other thing to remember if you run your gennie close to full load the noise level is loudest, if noise isn't an issue then don't worry about this.
AnswerID: 451126

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:38

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:38
I have the 2kva so I am able to run our a/c in the camper. If only running a bat charger then 1kva should be fine.

While I haven't done it yet, the 2kva should be able to run our home 240V fridge and freezer in the event of a power outage.

But... if only topping up batteries, why spend well over $1k when you could simply run your vehicle for an hour or two? If you have AGM batteries and connect decent wires to the alternator, you can put in a big charge (25-30A) to keep things going. All depends on how often and how long you camp this way.

I ran two 40L engels for many years from my 2nd battery and never needed a generator. But I did have to top up my battery every day by running my vehicle. Gennies are not allowed in many places, but charging by your vehicle is!

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 451129

Reply By: ob - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 13:37

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 13:37
I own a 20.i Honda and my son has a 10.i. We have camped together with the main fridge in the caravan and 2 Engels and a Wacoe ranging from 40 litre to 60 litre and various lights and water pumps.The 10.i ran everything including keeping batteries charged but obviously the 20.i was called into action if the van aircon was needed.
I guess the 20.i did it a lot easier (pretty obvious)
Don't forget hooking 2 10.i's together will not give you the same power as a single 20.i unit. No I don't know why but check the specs.

ob

AnswerID: 451134

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 14:54

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 14:54
Hi turbo,

I have the 1kva honda and it does all my camping jobs easy. I run the engel and evakool fridges/freezers, a Ctek charger and lights.

One thing if you do get a 2kva, ensure that its not lightly loaded continously for a length of time. I'd have a 500watt light to put some load on it if you werent using a lot of power.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 451141

Reply By: friar - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 16:33

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 16:33
Is the fuel consumption much different between the 2 if running a battery charger ,light & 2 trailblazer fridges, thanking you Friar.
AnswerID: 451147

Reply By: tg123 - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 17:32

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 17:32
If you've got the money for a Honda 2kva, I suggest you get the smaller 1kva model. This will look after all your needs when camping and you can then use the left over cash to get a couple of solar panels (eg a pair of 60W) - you'll then have the best of both worlds. I have this setup and rarely need to get out the Honda, but it's nice to know it's there!

Cheers
TG
AnswerID: 451154

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 18:18

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 18:18
The 1kVA is fine for camp charging etc. but if you must consider use around the home during power outages the 2kVA would be more appropriate in my view. I chose the Yamaha 1kVA (same specs) for camping, but it struggles with the start phase on one of our house fridges at home...... there is a fair weight penalty moving up a k of course (13kg to 23kg I think)...... the Yam 2.4kVA fills a gap that other makes don't (or didn't when I last looked) but hey - that is up at 32kg.
AnswerID: 451161

Reply By: paulnsw - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 19:46

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 19:46
In the 1kva units the Yamaha is a substantially superior unit.
Yamaha has large filler cap, Honda has tiny filler cap which is a nightmare
Yamaha has large fuel tank, Honda has tiny fuel tank
Yamaha has bigger engine, lower revs, less noise and lower fuel consumption
Yamaha has a proper fuel tap, Honda 1kva has no fuel tap and leaves terrible fuel smells inside vehicle or trailer.
Yamaha has all the controls on the one panel, Honda all over the unit
Yamaha has cast iron bore, Honda has aluminum bore.

While the differences Yamaha Honda on the 2kva are not so major, the Yamaha is the superior unit if you check the specifications.
AnswerID: 451167

Follow Up By: Member - troy s (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 22:32

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 22:32
I must say, that as much as you have said the honest differences between the 2, I strongly disagree that either is better than the other. Your response sounds very similar to some 'propaganda' I read and eventually led me to the purchase of our yamaha 9 months ago.

Since then, and due to some amount of flooding encountered over QLD, and believing my unit was safe, and was not, I have become the new owner of a little red honda.

The ONLY reason I swapped to honda, was that the mechanic trying to fix my yamaha, after many hours servicing, realising the electrics where fried, and consequently giving me an offer way to good to refuse, was a honda dealer!

Each to there own, but I am happier with the little red. Forgetting 'advertised' fiqures, I believe it is quieter, ergonomically better designed despite not having 'everything' on one panel, and in reality the fuel cap is not a problem at all, not even a little, actually i forgot it was smaller.
It does NOT leave any petrol smell at all, the tank is smaller yes, but from memory, the yamaha runs for 12 hours the honda for 10.

Either way, and more to the point of the question, they are both great, and suited us for what we wanted. As said before, we would only consider the extra weight and bulk if we had an aircon unit.

Cheers
Troy

FollowupID: 723790

Follow Up By: dbish - Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 09:31

Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 09:31
The argument of Castiron/Aluminum bore is not relevant these days. What is more relavent is how good the air cleaner is.
FollowupID: 723828

Reply By: Turbo Lux - Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 08:53

Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 08:53
Interesting....I think the advice of getting the 1KVA plus the solar panel is very good, best of both worlds, saving the money on the 2KVA will also allow me to get a good battery charger, thanks for the advice.
AnswerID: 451216

Reply By: energy marty - Friday, Apr 15, 2011 at 14:40

Friday, Apr 15, 2011 at 14:40
Both the Honda & Yamaha are great little units, with the Yamaha having a few things over the Honda - lighter, smaller, quieter etc.

We find the most popular generator for the RV market is the Yamaha EF2000IS - we would sell 5 of these for every EF1000iS.

Still small enough for an RV but that little bit of extra power.
AnswerID: 451308

Sponsored Links