New fee structure for CSR

Hi

I previously advised of an increase in fees for the CSR that had come to my attention in the local paper.

In making further enquiries with the ANFWDC I have received the following email for the information of the Forum.

Whether you agree with it or not at least we are better informed.

"The new fee structure is an important step in improving the management of
the stock route for both visitors and the traditional owners.

Over the past couple of years, there has been increasing activity by the
traditional owners in managing a range of issues including the impacts of
the increasing numbers of visitors. The majority of this has been through
the Indigenous ranger teams that are increasingly met by tourists as they
traverse the stock route.

They have been working with volunteers from Track Care WA and others to make
improvements such as upgrading the toilet and erecting an information
shelter at Pinpi (Durba Springs) and the inevitable maintenance that
follows.
The rangers have also been active in protecting the cultural values of the
area and engaging with visitors giving them impromptu tours and showing
films at night which showcase some of their culture and history. The
opportunity to interact with the traditional owners has clearly been a
highlight for visitors.

The previous fee structure provided little money for improvements. For
instance about 80% went to administering the system with the remaining 20%
being split between the Australian National Four Wheel Drive Council and
traditional owner group for the wells that it covered.

The changes to the fees will reduce the administrative component to 40% and
will provide Indigenous communities and Traditional Owners with a much
needed increased capacity to work with partners and other stakeholders such
as Track Care WA to better manage the important natural and cultural values
along and adjacent to the CSR.

It is hoped that over time we will be able to further reduce the
administrative costs for the permit system so that more funds can be
directed to improvements.

Over the coming years we expect there to be a focus on providing rich, high
quality information along the stock route as well as much needed work at
identified 'hotspots' along the length of the CSR.

Your contribution to help look after the important country along the CSR is
greatly appreciated."

Regards,
Zan King
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 14:12

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 14:12
And the new fee is...???
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 451138

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 16:03

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 16:03
Thread 85264. I'll do all the work for you:-)
FollowupID: 723752

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 14:48

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 14:48
John & Val
I recieved my permit 30/3/11 ,Fee was $100.00 per vehicle.
But am unsure as to previous fee charged.
Cheers & Regards
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 451140

Follow Up By: Member - Maws (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 16:09

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 16:09
it was $50.00.
It just doubled.
100% increase in one hit.... nice ehh?
FollowupID: 723753

Reply By: lizard - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 16:56

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 16:56
....."80% went to administering the system".....
says it all
AnswerID: 451150

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:33

Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:33
All it says Lizzy is that it costs $40 in wages, postage & paper to process the permit which when you get down to it was only put in place to educate the ignorant & arogant minority that continue to do the wrong thing. It's never been about profiting from people doing the trip rather setting guidelines to make the route sustainable.
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 723837

Follow Up By: lizard - Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 11:30

Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 11:30
When we got our permit last year it was all done 'on line' - I even had to print it out (I think) not much wages & postage there .. I have no problem paying for a permit , providing the funds go to where we are told they go - not into someone else's pocket ... I enjoyed talking to the ranger & elders that were at Durba (from Jigalong - in August) .....
FollowupID: 723840

Follow Up By: Rob! - Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 17:38

Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 17:38
I imagine that building and maintaining a website is probably not free. So the money has probably gone into the pocket of some IT guru.
FollowupID: 723884

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 20:37

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 20:37
Be good if they ironed out the b. corrugations!!

I'd pay for that!

Cheers.
AnswerID: 451171

Follow Up By: ob - Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:02

Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:02
You got it in one John

ob
FollowupID: 723845

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 23:05

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 23:05
You did well to get that much from them Rowdy. When the previous thread was running, i emailed ANFWDC and included the following:

"I draw your attention to a thread on ExplorOz; a most popular 4wd travel forum and website, on which many travellers rely to gain information on planning 4wd trips:http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/85264/Canning_Stock_Route-increase_in_fees.aspx?ky=&sn=&p=%2fForum%2fDefault.aspx%3fpn%3d1
I was aware of the article on your website, which I found when researching cost of permits for my own travel website.
You may wish to make comment on this thread of the background of the cost structure. I note that this includes provision for permits to Aboriginal cultural sites which had been prevented in recent years.
I would appreciate it if you would reply directly on the thread (or by reply direct to me allowing me permission to quote any answers you thus specify on ExplorOz) to the following;
1. Cost structure: What is the permit money used for?
2. Aboriginal site permits: “but will allow drivers planning their trips to apply for special permits to visit sites which were previously listed as unavailable.“ How to apply for these?
3. What authority or personnel can enforce the permit requirement?"

I also referred them to a page on my developing website about the permit (yet to be correctly worded due to lack of clarity about the new permit in their article).

I received a read receipt that afternoon, but they did not take up my invitation to respond on the thread, nor did they reply to me at all. So with $40 from every permit going to administration, they can't even reply to a genuine question, with the opportunity for two websites (EO and mine) to disseminate correct information.

Perhaps a different body should be administering the permits and collecting the fees.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 451193

Follow Up By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 09:49

Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 09:49
Hi Motherhen,

I think you'll find the ANFWDC hasn't set the fees themselves; they have been set by various aboriginal bodies (at least three). These bodies have chosen the ANFWDC to administer the permit system for them, because previously the various aboriginal bodies didn’t have a structure for getting the permits out quickly and people were heading off on their CSR without getting permits on time.
The ANFWDC is in fact acting in our best interests to keep the CSR open, to coordinate the requirements of various aboriginal groups so we don’t have to get three of more permits to do the full length of the CSR. This is helping ensure people can do the right thing by having permits. They also coordinate between organisations like Track Care WA and DEC WA to help keep places open.

In the future I can only see CSR access becoming more difficult, with more closures etc because there is a 'get stuffed I’m not paying element of there' who will spoil it for everyone.
Whilst I like most don't like paying fees I realise that if I don’t we may find even more restrictions on CSR access.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 723832

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:04

Thursday, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:04
Hi all

i see another dilemma is looming re the CSR; it just can't handle the tourist traffic; it seems 'everyone' wants to do the CSR nowadays.

I'm not talking about impacts on aboriginal sites or cultural or ceremonial matters here. It’s the desert environment, the habitat, plants and animals, it’s all very fragile.

There are more tracks being made alongside existing tracks, more plants and trees are being damaged, more and more wood is being burnt for camp fires, rubbish is being left behind, waterholes like Durba being polluted by swimmers and so on.

What does the future hold? Sadly I fear limited access to more sites even total exclusions. How will they police that god knows the CSR is so big?

I hope 'they' dont take the easy wasy out and shut the whole of the CSR down. They' can do that and that would be a disaster for 4Wdrivers. '

I urge everyone to do the right thing and work within the limits set by the aboriginal people. Whilst we may not agree with it and some will say its un-Australia, our courts have given them land rights over the country; take your grumbles out with the courts and your pollies and not the aboriginal people.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 451218

Sponsored Links