buying from interstate

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 16:36
ThreadID: 85686 Views:1765 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to buy a camper from interstate privately. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how you exchange money. obviously we don't want to send cheque till we've received camper, but owners don't want to part with camper until they have received cheque which is fair enough. we are looking at getting it transported over. Just wondering if anyone knows of a settlement agent? that deals with things like this or has any other suggestions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 16:56

Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 16:56
Best thing is to fly over and pay for it personally and take possession then and there so you can take the camper to a trucking yard for transport home.

If the cost of flying is more than the deal is worth buy a camper locally and save youself the grief.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 451558

Reply By: - Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 18:08

Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 18:08
Given the large number of kind-hearted people on a site like this one, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get someone here to act as an "agent" on your behalf.

I live in a small SA country it is unlikely that I can assist. However, in the possible event that the seller of the trailer is located here (ie: Kadina SA), I would be happy for you to send me a cheque payable to the seller. I could then collect the camper and deliver it to the desired trucking yard and give the cheque to the seller. No doubt he/she would require a bank cheque.

Assuming you are buying from a larger city (?), I would put the request out there on the forum to see if anybody would like to assist you as described above.

It would be ideal if you could sort out an insurance cover note beforehand, just in case the good samaratin were to have an untimely accident with your new trailer.


AnswerID: 451567

Reply By: aussiedingo. (River Rina) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 19:04

Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 19:04
G'day ross, where are you at? where is the camper at?? bank transfer or paypal is the easiest!! maybe someone can basically check it over for you first - before payment!
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 451570

Reply By: snoopyone - Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 20:31

Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 20:31
With all the scams going on with this sort of transaction I would be wanting to see it before handing over ANY money.

So easy to get taken by cunning people who disappear rapidly.

AnswerID: 451584

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 21:04

Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 21:04
Hi Ross

We purchased our caravan privately and at that stage unseen (not even photos - they didn't have internet), and they asked for a 10% holding deposit (paid by direct deposit), and they held it for us despite numerous enquiries. They asked for balance by bank cheque which was fair enough (and i have always asked for when selling cars or land privately). Once we had met them and inspected the van, we paid. All went well. Licencing issues had to then be got around. I think it would pay you to personally inspect before finalising. Even if a third party was involved, it will do nothing to guarantee the camper is up to your expectations, and if not, sale won't be reversed.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 451587

Reply By: Member - Josh- Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 21:22

Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 21:22
When we sold our camper they direct debited a deposit. We met them later so they could have a look then they sat at our kitchen table and tranfered the remainder. Hooked on the trailer and drove away. I also sold our criuser this way.Problem with getting someone else to go as agent as mentioned, is if it goes sour and you loose money who's responsible or as said if it's what you thought then bad luck. Pay a deposit via direct debit then go have a look and pay the rest as suggested.

AnswerID: 451589

Follow Up By: ross b1 - Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 23:13

Sunday, Apr 17, 2011 at 23:13
Thankyou all for your feedback. The camper is in SA ,I am in WA ,where there are no second hand ones for sale.I think i have to either be patient and wait for one to pop up or jump on a plane and go and eyeball it for myself.I am looking at a Trak Shak. Cheers ,Ross
FollowupID: 724217

Reply By: Member - Bill B1 (NSW) - Monday, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:37

Monday, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:37
Ross b1,

Have a look here on Trading Post.

Site Link

Sorry the link didn't come up properly.

Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 451635

Reply By: Ray - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2011 at 08:09

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2011 at 08:09
Be very careful about buying from interstate. My son bought a camper from a chap in Victoria. It was licensed in Victoria with Victorian plates. Upon arrival in W.A. he went to get it registered here. You would not credit the bull**** he had to go through. For a start the camper was imported from the U.S. so the door was on the right hand side but bear in mind this is a pop up camper. The gas fittings did not comply with W.A. standards and had to be modified and the towing coupling had to be changed as it was not an AUSTRALIAN approved coupling. So he had to get all these things fixed, excluding the door, before it could be licensed in W.A. but bearing in mind the camper had been licensed in Vic.
In regards to the door, he was given a dispensation for the extra cost of $50.00 to have the camper licensed in W.A.
Now I ask myself what difference does it make if the door is on the right or left? When I can get in and out of my car on the right hand side.
My son bought the camper site unseen so take heed.
AnswerID: 451763

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)