Caravan Water Tanks

Hi fellow wanderers

Can anyone advise me of what maintenance is involved in caravan water tanks to ensure that the quality of the water is safe. Also how often one should undertake this maintenance. As we have spent a fair bit of time at caravans parks over the last few months the water in the water tanks has only been used very infrequently.

Happy travels.

Chell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 08:27

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 08:27
G'day Chell

About every 6 months I drain the tank at home then refill and put a bottle of miltons (the stuff you wash baby bottles in) in the tank and take the van for a 10 minute drive to shake it up a bit then leave it sit for 30 minutes then drain, make sure you drain it all, then give it a rinse with the hose and refill.

Go by the directions, if you put to much in the water can taste a bit like chlorine.

AnswerID: 451854

Reply By: Roughasguts - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 09:34

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 09:34
So far me tanks been used rarely in 3 years but the water is still okay no bad taste or odour.

So I guess it depends on the quality of the water you have in there to start with.

But yes Milton if the tank does go bad would be the go.

Cheers
AnswerID: 451859

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:05

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:05
Hi Chell, we periodically pull up half our or so after leaving a van park & open the drain cocks & then let them both drain as as we mosey along. My theory is that the movement of the van will suspend any foreign material in the tank & hopefully it will drain out as well.
We have never put any chemical in our tanks, but if we were to I would agree with Milton. Cheers & happy travelling
AnswerID: 451868

Follow Up By: Polaris - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:41

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:41
What a waste of good water!
FollowupID: 724506

Reply By: Member - colin J (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 13:12

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 13:12
Hi Chell,

I have owned vans for the past 30 years continuously and have never had to flush out the tanks. Sometimes the van has not been used for 6 months at a time, but the water is still fresh. If you put clean water in why does it go off, farmers and rural people use water that has been sitting in rain water tanks for far longer periods and that is still ok. As it is dark and sealed it is virtually impossible for anything to grow or cause a problem.
When you get back from a trip you can fill the tanks right up and that will also cut down on the air space as well. Put only fresh water in and you should have no problems. Why waste perfectly good water by draining your tanks, that has got me puzzled.
Now if you had a problem of some sort then that is another question.

Regards from Col.
AnswerID: 451875

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 18:45

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 18:45
Good point Colin, I had not looked at it that way & will do likewise in the future provided my last point of refill was not "suss" in anyway which would be very unlikely. Hoo Roo & happy travelling
FollowupID: 724527

Reply By: Lucko - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 14:34

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 14:34
Maybe I'm anal but, when we get home I drain both tanks, about 1/4 cup household bleach in each tank and fill with water. Pump through the system, through taps until you can smell the chlorine and then shut down. Drain and flush once just before next trip. I've been doing this for quite a few years, the reason, it keeps the water sweet particularly since I have a fair bit of clear plastic connecting pipes in the system. Algae can and will grow in clear pipes where the sunlight can get to them. Hope this helps
Mark
AnswerID: 451882

Follow Up By: Polaris - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:44

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:44
You can stop the algae growth in your system by simply lagging your clear plastic with black electrical loom tube - or replace the clear with black poly.

Once the source of the algae is eliminated then there will be no need to drain and waste good water.
FollowupID: 724507

Follow Up By: Lucko - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:06

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:06
You're right, replacing pipework is on my 'to do' list when I get aroundtuit.
No water wasted at our place old son, water on storage, naturally dechlorinates. All water drained feeds the vegie garden.
Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 724509

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:46

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:46
To save a lot of work if you have clear pipework.
Wipe down with a metho soaked cloth then use a black spray paint to cover the claer plastic. It will take several days to completely dry but even if it is still tacky when you drive some dust may adhere but that also helps.
This is for the underneath van bits only, in the van use algging as suggested.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 724513

Follow Up By: Polaris - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 17:40

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 17:40
Mark - good to see that you are being responsible and putting your tank water to good use - unlike some who have posted here that they let it drain along the road.

Good one fella!
FollowupID: 724520

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 17:56

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 17:56
OK OK OK alright already Polaris. Nuff said You can climb down off the fence now & clean your bazooka in readiness for the next pot shot. LOL & happy watering. Cheers
FollowupID: 724523

Follow Up By: Lucko - Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:12

Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:12
Thanks Dodger, I'm going the black plastic path, but as I said when I get tuit.
Mark
FollowupID: 724606

Reply By: Clint & Chell - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 20:39

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 20:39
Thanks everyone for you informative reply's I am happy to just use the water when we need it and only empty if there is a problem. We do have a water filter both externally & internally so I think we should be pretty right.

Happy & safe travels.

Chell
AnswerID: 451928

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 23:15

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 23:15
Hi Chell

While there are two viewpoints here, i do not drain the tanks. Pure water does not go off. The water coming from bores and artesian sources may have been accumulating underground for tens of thousands of years. Across the nation, many people have been relying on water stored in tanks which may not be completely emptied year after year, and they are not as sealed from sunlight and contamination as caravan tanks are. Water in a caravan or camper tank is not exposed to sunlight so will not grow algae and will be safe even if left for years.

If you drain the tanks, remnant dissolved salts or calcium may crystallise and could cause blockages in pipes, taps or pumps.

For those who feel there may be a need to cleanse the tanks, add a little household bleach to some water (or swimming pool chlorine if you have it) and swill it around in the tanks before emptying and flushing with fresh water ready for refilling.

This article Water and linked article on collecting water (including filling hose types and filters) has more.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 451952

Sponsored Links