79 Series Weights

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 14:49
ThreadID: 85766 Views:5588 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Just getting our 79 series ready to do a lap around Aus. We have built an ally canopy and just about finished decking it out but feel we may have a weight issue. Would like to hear any weights of similar type rigs.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:08

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:08
Muddy,

Still waiting to see a photo! The rear springs of the 79 are a bit soft for a heavy load so I’ve had my GVM upgraded and a set of airbags fitted as well to assist. Is she sitting on her bum fully loaded? If so you really should look at a rear suspension upgrade.

With 90 litres of fuel on board mine came upon the weighbridge at 2100 ( without the main pod - That added another 600). My GVM is just under 4 tonnes. With 400 litres of fuel and 120 of water plus two spares, I’m at 3220 kg. Add clothing, people, food, tools and spares and I’m real close. It would also be mindful to check the load rating on your tyres to ensure they can handle the load without issues. My Toyo Open Country MT’s have a 1700kg load rating per tyre (LR – “E”) but some of the lesser A/T type tyres will bubble or bulge in the sidewall if constantly overloaded and then run over rough, sandy or at lower pressures.

Post a photo for us.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 451884

Follow Up By: Member - Muddy79 - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:33

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:33
Mick,

We have had a busy month or so since last on forum. We just took it over the public weigh bridge and it came at 3.9 tonne. So not what we thought.

We are just looking at GVM as a mate just told us to look into that as well. We have put airbags in and Michael just not around at the moment to ask what else. We did have a lift kit as well.

Shall look at the tyres. We currently run BF muddies.

What did you get your GVM upgraded to.

Muddy

PS by the way have a couple of photos of it off but not on the truck at the moment. What was your email again.
FollowupID: 724504

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 23:17

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 23:17
mm 2100 is highly unlikely to be correct

a normally set up cruiser (steel bar sidesteps bit in the back but essentially empty) comes in over 2500
FollowupID: 724566

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 07:43

Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 07:43
Geeze Mick

You sure you had all four wheels on the weighbridge. 2100kg for a ute with steel bullbar , side rails , 90 lit fuel , tray etc seems very light.

My leafsprung Pootrol tare is close to 2850 kg but I manage to get to the 3700kg without much trouble.

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 724580

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 08:11

Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 08:11
Just checked the weigh bridge certificate again. 2120kgs with tray, boxes and aluminium front pod. Your right, I forgot the bar, whinch and side steps which were fitted after the first weigh. Dual batteries are also in with another two in the rear so thats another 100kgs as well. Pretty close to the 4 tonne mark fully loaded for a trip.
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 724583

Follow Up By: Member - Muddy79 - Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 09:25

Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 09:25
Mick, Have you done the canning with it loaded that much. Did it handle the dunes okay?
FollowupID: 724590

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:14

Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:14
Michael,

this one hasn't been on the Canning as yet. It has done a lot of soft sand work though fully loaded and towing the quad trailer. Just got back off the Anne Beadell with it and no problems. It's got plenty of power for the job, it's all going to come down to the tyres and the pressures you can run them down at, even if for short periods when needed.

The problem with the canning is the combination of big-mother corrugations combined with the right or left hand turn in the lead-up to many dunes. This really affects your momentum/speed and you have to be on the ball. Did you have the diff locks factory fitted at time of purchase? Best $ I ever spent on it.

In the short of it, I'd say you should have few problems. If you haven't done the Canning before, this video and blog might give you an idea of what to expect.

Canning Stock Route - Monster dunes & haunted wells

Cheers Mick

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 724595

Follow Up By: Member - Muddy79 - Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 16:10

Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 16:10
Mick,

Thanks for the video. We have just organised a GVM upgrade to 3900 kg which we are happy about. Not too happy that we already have a 2 inch lift kit, etc but have to rip it out to put their certified one in. Oh well. Will try to flog it off as it has only done maybe 15,000 klm since installing and nothing series. We do have front and rear lockers which I agree is great value for money.

Just on the Canning, did you do north to south?

Michael
FollowupID: 724631

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 21:01

Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 21:01
I've done it both directions Michael. That Vid was shot north to south.

Cheers. Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 724679

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:19

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:19
Hi Muddy

It is a constant issue when traveling. What to include and what to leave behind.

My 79 weighed in at 2870kg with nothing on the back ............ Wow.

The extra weight is just the roo bar, tray, under tray boxes, air compressor, side rails, bar work over cab, and minor other stuff.

Doesn't leave much to GMV.

I have a suspension upgrade and airbags.

Cheers

David

Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 451887

Follow Up By: Member - Muddy79 - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:40

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:40
Hey David

We just took it over public weighbridge and it came in at 3.9 tonne. What a shock. Then we sat down and started thinking what can we get rid of. Already it is an ally box and we want everything as we going around for 12 months.

That is when we got desperate and thought to start phoning friends and get any forum ideas.

I gather ours is similar weight without canopy and we have also put a water tank in under the tray and an extra 55ltre fuel tank on top of the two already there as standards.

Cheers

Michael
FollowupID: 724505

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 17:59

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 17:59
Muddy79,
these vehicles definitely weigh heavy
I got a shock when I weighed mine after also fitting out an aluminium canopy.
with 2 spares,(1 in canopy) 180 fuel, 65 water under tray, recoverygear and tool boxes under tray and 1 x120 kg drivermine Grossed 3.10 ,split 1.66 rear axle and 1.44 front axle. no food in fridge , no grog , no luggage and no swmbo.
took off the canopy next day and weighed it again and 2.72 gross.
( conclusion canopy as loaded weighs 400 kg)
Have since added suspension upgrade and fitted winch so probably another 75kg in total added.
must admit I am not particularly concerned as old 80 series was 3.72tonne for canning trip last year. I am pretty confident of keeping this vehicle under 3500.
In fact the load capacity on the 79 is only marginally better than the 80 series.as the base 79(including tray) is over 300kg heavier.
lots more space though.
cheers
howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 451905

Follow Up By: Member - Muddy79 - Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 16:14

Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 16:14
Howard,

Just got an upgrade to be done next week to 3900 kg. So still need to loose about 80 kg. Guess the wife just cannot take her oven which is nearly 35kg, or she will make me redesign it to cut the weight down on it. And to take or not to take the canoe??????

Cheers
Michael
FollowupID: 724633

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 18:58

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 18:58
I've done a bit to reduce the weight in mine. Its about the 3300kg (at GVM) when loaded for the average desert trip and not towing the Tvan. On some desert trips, I'll go over GVM because of extra fuel and water.

Its got an alloy tray and which had 2 very heavy steel cross beams - I replaced these with redesigned footings that saved weight and kept the strength. I removed the headboard because it does nothing once you add a canopy. The aluminium canopy is simply attached with 4 high tensile bolts that go through to the rails - better then the fancy brackets that make it removable. I had the canopy made with a thin floor, because I don't need to to stand alone, and its sits on the tray.
I run mags now - saved 30 kgs.
The spare wheel carrier is simply spare U-bolts - I like to use spare Toyota parts to make accessories.
My Highlift jack is stored on the bullbar and clamped with wheel studs and wheel nuts. I use it as my beadbreaker, so it serves more than one purpose.
My internal fitout is done with thin 9mm ply that is just big enough to glue and screw and has been fine for the past 6 years.
My fridges sit on the floor - Both my wife and I are tall enough to access the fridges without the need for fridge slides that can add weight a fair bit of weight and take up room.
I don't use gas bottles - prefer the lighter weight of a Coleman dual fuel stove for when we don't have a campfire.
We just take a double swag when we're not towing the Tvan. And add a 6kg tent if forced to stay in a caravan park.
Roofrack is 100x100 mesh attached to the canopy roof (adds about 20kgs).
I don't use sidebars or aftermarket steps - they add a lot of weight - I can buy 7 sets of ARB factory-look flares for the price of one set of ARB side bars!
Spares - just pack the spares that are needed to get you out of trouble and share them amongst your group.
Keep your setup simple as possible.

As far as the vehicle goes, It's got ARB springs and I added airbags so it sits OK with about 15psi in the airbags when fully loaded.

Cheers
Phil

AnswerID: 451910

Follow Up By: Member - Muddy79 - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 21:14

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 21:14
Hey Phil

We have a few other things which have bumped up the weight. We are not towing so the canopy is it. Just got a quote to upgrade the suspension which will give a GVM of 3850 so at least it will not jepardise our insurance. With a bit of shuffling and taking out some unnecessary luxuries, we should get it down. We are also taking a canoe around so are just in the process of assessing what we really do and don't need.

We are mostly travelling on our own so have to be very self sufficient.

Cheers Michael
FollowupID: 724552

Sponsored Links