Replacement Engine?

Submitted: Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 18:10
ThreadID: 8579 Views:4791 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I own an 80 Series 96 Std Deisel, with 450,000 kms on the clock. Its had some mods - bar work, wheel carriers, built in drawer system, water tanks, l/range fuel tanks as well as the usual suspension blah bhah. The cruiser has had great overall reliability despite about half of its kms doing tough work (buggered a rear hub has been the worst of it) but given my wife and I some great joy off the beaten the track, so we're really reluctant to let it go (that and the price of a 100 Series,plus all the mods I'd have to pay for all over again) but...

I'd like to have a few more ponies under the bonnet, particularly when pulling a trailer with a full load of fuel (285l), water(200l) and loaded roof rack but am reluctant to fit an aftermarket blower/supercharger as I'm not really willing to compromise reliability - I don't want to break down hundreds of kms from civilisation.

I guess this resticts me to a total engine swapout. Anybody done this? Ideally I guess I'd like to get hold of a 1HD-FT or similar but suppose the cost would be huge - anyone know of any WA sources? Brunswick Diesels south of Perth do Chevy 6.5l Deisels, anybody had experience of these ? Power/Reliability/Thirst?

Cheers
AC
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 19:13

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 19:13
Hi AC
Plenty of 1hz cruisers have been converted to 1hdft multivalve turbo motivation. Last i heard 7.5k for a jap motor was the price. They fit straight in - well, almost, you need your starter, and a special made clutchplate if you keep your 5 speed.(1hz centre but 12 inch diameter not ten)
I would expect 12k to be close to the price of a v8 conversion, and your motor is worth atleast 1k if it is a rebuilder, if not more.
Ask away on www.lcool.org
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 37575

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 23:06

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 23:06
Rebuild the standard engine. It lasted 450,000 and Im betting it has 30% less now than new at least.

Rebuilt could suprise you, and also last another 450,000!

Chev Diesels there is a good thread on Outerlimits on it under Techincal, few weeks back.. There are 2 basically... 6.2 and 6.5.. One has head issues(apparently thats why they are all shipped here and elsewhere), and the other is lots more.

Conversion will cost you over $10k with engineers...

Power - they move Hummers quite fine! Thirst, Yes.
AnswerID: 37612

Follow Up By: ross - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:12

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:12
I saw a very low klm(4000klm)turbo version engine for sale for $10k in Q/land. I can probably dig up the ad if your interested.
The chev diesel has very mixed reports.Its not that all of them fail ,just a higher than normal pecentage with most of the problems related to the Stanadyne injection pump and cracked heads.I rang brunswick diesel once but they dont like being questioned on the failure rate of their engines and as I dont like experimenting with my money that was that.
Owners say wonderful things about the conversion but every week there seems to be 3-4 for sale in the Perth area.I cant understand why anyone would spend all that money on a conversion only to sell it 6-12 months later.
FollowupID: 27257

Follow Up By: Outnabout David (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:34

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:34
Trucksters advice sounds pretty good to me. rebuil and if you still want more then put on an aftermarket turbo. A brand new engine currently is around $8k for the std 1hz from your Toyota dealer.We have so little time to enjoy our land
FollowupID: 27259

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:22

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:22
Ross.

You usually find that with any car though, you see people spend afortune it and then for some reason Sell it...

Either they regret it and trying to get something back for the investment, or pay off the Visa, or it didnt work out..

Theres other places that do the conversion, theres a bloke in Qld that does them, hes on Outerlimits, and is VERY VERY willing to talk about the failures etc.. Its called a Good Honest bloke! Unlike some dealers..
FollowupID: 27266

Reply By: nugget - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 01:27

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 01:27
Andyc
I had a Landy 110 with a Chev 6.2 diesel fitted. I would have to say that my main complaint with this engine was noise, unless of coarse your used to driving a road train with a howling 6V92 Detroit diesel on full song. This would be especially noticeable to someone who had just relaced their 1HZ with one. They are a good engine for offroad work but a turbo on a 1HZ is better on road. A 1HD-FT would be the best option in my opinion and probably no more expensive than fitting a V8 diesel.

Cheers
AnswerID: 37768

Reply By: andyc - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 10:41

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 10:41
Thanks for the input guys...

I've had the cruiser from new and at the time could not stretch to the 1HD-T as that required a higher spec model (GXL), I've thought about the rebuild option a lot and whilst cheaper probably wouldn't give me the result I'm looking for; w/end 4WD I find the 1HZ to be great - never overheats, and has been utterly reliable. Its the longer trips where we haul the camper trailer and are fully loaded with water/fuel etc. that I find it can be frustrating particularly sand...

I carry a fair mount of spares with me, so have a couple of concerns/questions over the turbocharging option;
1) The engine wasn't designed for it. Aren't I just asking for trouble?
2) The driveline wasn't designed for it; are they the same?
3) If it buggers up in the middle of the nowhere, could I limp home normally aspirated?

I've been looking around and the consensus is that the Chevy is rather loud, and my standard 80 doesn't have ample amounts of sound deadening material in the engine bay, plus the reliability aspect concerns me more than anything. (A QLD dealer who is honest is great but my next trip to QLD isn't planned until Christmas 04).

So I'm down to either rebuilt 1HD-T/1HD-FT or lobbing a safari or similar blower on a to-be-rebuilt 1HZ. Anybody know if the hardened parts from either of these engine can be fitted to a 1HZ - ie 1HD-T pistons? or can I fit a complete 1HD-FT head on my bottom end?

Cheers
andyc
AnswerID: 37788

Sponsored Links