snatch em straps

Submitted: Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 19:49
ThreadID: 8581 Views:6774 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking to buy a 'snatch em' type strap to use in beach recovery.
I've seen so many that have "snapped" in use - I've been there when the cheers go up for a snapped strap at the Indian Head approach on Fraser - it is the local entertainment.
I've also buried a 4x4 below the high tide mark a few years ago and snapped three straps in a panic before a person in a Cruiser that obviously new what he was doing - did the job in one "tug" with a very long strap.
I'm just looking for one that will work when I need it - which is probably only once or twice a year and usually to help others out more than for my own use.
I'm more interested in quality than "good value".
They seem to start at less then $50 - but can anyone recommend a brand or model that is 'the best'? - I'd rather pay three times the price - ONCE - then 'good value' that fails when I need it.

Dave >
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: harry5 - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:02

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:02
You say that you snapped three straps i gather they were used asa single unit if you join two they work better than one and three work better than two, but it certainly helps fill the day in
AnswerID: 37579

Follow Up By: Fishin' Dave - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:59

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:59
At the time I had an old Nissan G60 - it was on Nth Stradbroke Island.
I made the fatal mistake of taking too long to get the boat out of the water from a beach launch - waves were lapping around the trailer wheels and sunk it down to the axle.
The first 'helper' was a Daihatsu (F50?) Diesel - it failed miserably.
The next offer of assistance was a series 3 Rover - just not enough power.
Third was petrol Pajero - also not enough go.
Two of the helpers had ‘on special’ Supercheap straps – not sure if this was a co-incidence or what!
We didn’t snap the strap with the Rover – It just didn’t have enough power – I think it had a Holden petrol motor.
The successful vehicle was a very old Toyota diesel - mate that thing could have jerked the Queen Mary out – the low down grunt was awesome.
His strap was nearly twice the length – I don’t know what brand it was but it was very obviously of much greater thickness and strength.
I also think 4x4 recovery his knowledge far exceeded the others.
I should also point out that by the time the Yota snatched the G60 out – water was up to the dash – I had quickly disconnected the battery to prevent shorting out but it was too late.
I sold it a few weeks later for parts as the brakes seized and the wiring shorted – in the long run it was beyond repair.
I don’t take this incident as conventional for the vehicles mentioned – it’s just what eventuated on the day.

Dave >
FollowupID: 27225

Reply By: basecamp15 - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:21

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:21
The Kaymar 8000 kg Snatch Strap won the Australian 4WD monthly comparison and consequently took out the best product under $250 award. All the major brands were tested so it was quite a feat to come out on top. I wish I'd seen the article before I purchased my Supacheap auto one :(
AnswerID: 37580

Follow Up By: basecamp15 - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:22

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:22
They're about $65 too.
FollowupID: 27223

Follow Up By: Goodsy - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 23:50

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 23:50
Basecamp. It the same strap. Look at the pics in the mag.
FollowupID: 27238

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 13:07

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 13:07
yep...but make sure you get the right supercheap one (orange with grey ends)...the white supercheap ones are dodge - even the really thick one which I have... I now have a kaymar...
FollowupID: 27277

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:37

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:37
I, like so many others, bought the ARB 8000kg strap which fared rather poorly in the aforementioned 4X4 Monthly comparo... however ARB have extended their warranty on this product to 5 years, so they are obviously confident!
Even so I am budgeting to replace it with a Kaymar (the winner) in the near future.
The other thing to consider is a driver course. We did our Club Awareness Program and have asked many questions and learnt how to do things properly. (Or at least better...???... :-)
Consequently, on a recent trip to Fraser, we spent 5 days, drove 300+ kms and didn't get stuck once! including the infamous Indian Head track, and a few others that we were dreading!
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 37581

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 23:11

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 23:11
ARB did a follow up when they got zotted in the comparo test and claimed it was due to a bad lot of stitching. Well what else would you expect. The fact is it should not have happened if they are as perfect as they claim. What good is an extended warranty out in the bush when your stuck and the strap lets you down or the waves are washing over the bonnet cause you couldn't get it out, or if someone gets injured.
ARB should have done a complete recall of all recently sold straps and replaced or tested each one in the faulty batch. Only then can you be sure that they arn't penny pinching for profits and really have your interests at heart.

BTW when the going gets tough always remember the tyre pressures.Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 27233

Reply By: Ralph2 - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 21:12

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 21:12
Hi Dave, Most of the major brand straps are ok, they come out of about 4 manufacters anyway,The main thing to remember is to get a high rated strap 8k-11k-KG and use them properly from a rated recovery point on both vechiles,they should'nt break if in good con but just in case tie a couple of 5kg bags of sand about a third of the way along the strap from each vechile to stop the recoil if it did break, they can kill.
AnswerID: 37586

Follow Up By: Fishin' Dave - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 21:35

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 21:35
Thanks Ralph2 - I'll take that advice on board - being a fisho more that a 4x4er - I'd not heard of the sand bag trick - thanks mate I'll keep it in mind.

Dave >
FollowupID: 27227

Reply By: Fishin' Dave - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 21:31

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 21:31
General driving can be comfortable most times however if you try doing it towing over 2 tonne of boat/trailer you become very aware of track conditions.
I've done it with supplied diesel Toyotas, petrol Toyotas and Lexus and am convinced the diesels have the edge.
One of the biggest problems is other drivers - When towing a big boat I need a clear run to keep the momentum up through the soft stuff so need the vehicle ahead of me to clear the bad section before I start.
Try explaining that to the 'back packers' and 'hire car' drivers!

It's all good fun though...!

Dave >
AnswerID: 37590

Reply By: Member - Eric- Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 22:17

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 22:17
i always carry 2 snach straps and 2 winch extension straps . At the end of the day , they all break , the only reason kaymar won the strap challenge , was because it broke after its limit , by 100 kg , so what ... ARB broke 100 kg under , big deal . I think that both are awsome to withstand the approx 8000 kg , you can get a 12000 strap also , I guarranty you break something off the car before it does .But you dont want that ! do you ?Venus Bay
AnswerID: 37597

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 22:45

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 22:45
Dont believe everything you read in magazines.

ARB one did bleep in the test by Yota Mthly.

Ive used my ARB one over 50 time on my GQ, or other vehicles... Also used on Demos at Club Driver Training, and never had a problem. And been stuck VERY WELL, ask Diamond or Gary.

I got a new spare ARB one on Saturday... Wont use anythin else, it works, and aint broke so why change..

YMMV.
AnswerID: 37604

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 07:18

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 07:18
Something that was totally overlooked in that mag is that the ARB and Kaymar straps, and most of the other Australian straps are all made by the one manufacturer and rebadged.

It just illustrates variability that comes with any mass manufactured product.
FollowupID: 27248

Reply By: Brian - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:27

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:27
Another very important point to go hand-in-hand with snatch straps is rated hooks and shackles. Make sure you only use gear that is rated for the job at hand. If you attach the strap via a shackle, don't use a cheap corner store type unit that will likely snap and become an unguided missile looking for a panel/window/head to poke a hole in. Same for tow hooks, and the nuts and bolts that are used to attach gear such as this to the chassis. Always use high rated gear.

A question for you Fishin' Dave.... when you are towing your boat through the sand, do you let your trailer tyres down? I am curious here, I haven't had to tow as yet and would assume that the trailer tyres would be at the same presure as the truck tyres? Is this the case?

We saw a fourby with a large trailer boat at Indian Head recently, with another fourby in front already connected via snatch strap so the two trucks were "sharing" the trailer. (I don't know if this "sharing of the load" is actually true or not).. provided the two drivers are careful, I would assume it to be a reasonably successful way of going about it.

Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 37646

Follow Up By: Fishin' Dave - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 07:26

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 07:26
I'm not a 4x4 expert so don't take my comments as that of an expert - just what works for me after many years of "doing it".

I let the tyres down to the same as the truck - about 18psi usually.

For the last 3 years our crew has consisted of a 6.85m, 6.50m and 5.5m glass boats on tandem hydraulic braked trailers.
If the track is really chopped up we have on occasion dropped the smaller boat and trailer off and used the vehicle snatched to one of the other tow vehicles as a tandem pull.
When the rear vehicle towing the boat hits soft sand, the strap tightens and the front vehicle helps with the load - a bit like having twice the horsepower.
But you still have to go back and get the boat!

After many years of watching drivers on the beach I'd say the majority of problems are driver error.
Some attack like a Kamikaze pilot, others try and idle through - neither usually works.
I think it's a fine balance between selecting the right line, right gear and maintaining the right revs.
Too low a gear and you can't get enough momentum up without the engine valve bouncing.
To high a gear and you run out of legs.
Changing gears with that amount of weight on the back is disastrous - the trailer pulls you up on a dime and you end up with a standing start - or attempting a standing start!

For the three years we haven't bogged once - the 10 years prior to that was a different story!
I should also point out for the past three years we've been driving autos.
It takes a while to change your driving style but once you master an auto - they are good in the sand... hope I haven't opened a can of worms with that statement.

Dave >
FollowupID: 27364

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:22

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:22
Thanks for the quick reply Fishin' Dave.... 3 years of doing it without getting stuck certainly shows you know your stuff there mate!

I was curious as a friend has a "soft-roader" (His term.. not mine) and a camper trailer and we're planning a trip to Fraser and may possibly need to "tandem-pull" it on certain tracks, although probably would be easier to put it on my truck through the softer stuff...

One last question, what tyres do you run?? I was told our 33" X 12.5" muds would be next to useless in the sand, but running 22psi we found that the only time we stopped was to park! Even parked on the Indian Head track and re-started wtith no probs!! So for me, our 33's work well..
FollowupID: 27379

Follow Up By: Fishin' Dave - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:20

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:20
Brian on my own vehicle I've got 31 x 10.5 Kumho's on at the moment.
When I wear these out I'm going to Coopers - probably A/Ts - I've convinced myself they are the best for my aplication.
I don't want to get into a tyre war here but have seen enough to convince myself - plus I've got enough mates running them, and praising them, to convince me.

I'll also go 33 x 12.5s if the buget will stretch that far.
I don't think it will make much difference but they sure look cool!!

I should point out I have mostly been in supplied current model Toyota or Lexus working as a fishing guide for Toyota.

My own vehicle is a custom 1968 Jeep trayback truck with full Toyota 4.2 diesel and Toyota box and running gear which I have rebuilt from the ground up.
It may not be as flash but I'll back it to come through every time.

You can't miss my truck on the beach - come over for a coldie if you do.

Dave >
FollowupID: 27394

Reply By: Brian - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 15:41

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 15:41
Fishin' Dave
no chance of a tyre war here mate... one thing i have learned is that everyone has an opinion of what works best for them... I'm simply interested in what people use... particularly if...like yourself... they have "done the hard yards"!
I like 33's because they give a little more height.... no other reason really..
I don't get to Fraser as often as I would like.... actually just got back from there a couple of weeks ago, but we are going over again January long weekend for the QAFDC Clean-Up campaign..... I'll keep an eye out for you and indeed will take you up on that coldie!!!!
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 37825

Follow Up By: Fishin' Dave - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:43

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:43
Cheers mate - you'll reconise me - I'll be the one with the biggest fish!

See you up there one day.

Dave >
FollowupID: 27430

Sponsored Links