FJ Cruiser in S.A. Outback

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 24, 2011 at 09:49
ThreadID: 85828 Views:2908 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Following on Doug T's threadHERE the other day, I've just come across This

Some good viewing in the S.A. outback.

Is this the FJ launch Mick O represented ExplorOz at?

For a good read, have a read of Mick's Blog describing his couple of days out of the office.

Happy Easter all.

Fred.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 24, 2011 at 23:11

Sunday, Apr 24, 2011 at 23:11
Had the pleasure of driving this FJ over the weekend, quite possibly one of the first to have 35" tyres fitted in Oz. Excellent power & handling on the tar with almost no road noise despite the big MTR's. Love em or hate them this 4wd attracts more attention then any other I've seen. It continuously stopped people in the street with someone literally taking a photo of it every 15 minutes.
While the owner is still waiting for bars & sliders to come from the US before going bush, I have no doubt even with IFS, this will be an impressive truck both offroad & up the desert. (So much so I've already taken a visit to the dealer) Availability will be the biggest issue as sales have exceeded all expectations, the popular colors may already have a one year wait!
Cheers Craig........

AnswerID: 452221

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 14:12

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 14:12
I actually don't mind the look of that. Has a bit of a millitary look about it. I'd be happy to hang my # plates on it.

Fred
FollowupID: 724931

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2011 at 23:28

Sunday, Apr 24, 2011 at 23:28
Fred
Nah...never, can't be the same type of Cruiser.....it'll never survive the Outback, City Slickers 4x4....going by the negative replies I got the other day shown below, so we'll just sit sit back and watch....

Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ posted:
would you really take that "outback" ..... it will cruise around the citys for about 5 years before anyone is game enough to go to far in it .....

Member - Captain (WA) posted:
Its a strange mix ??? No diesel, no longe range tank, part-time 4WD with rear diff lock AND traction control as standard, go figure. I reckon Toyota must have borrowed a bingo machine to get that list of options out, just cannot see the logic.

patsproule replied:
ARB have had an imported one of these at their show stands for the last couple of years. They are even more ugly in the flesh.

Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) replied:
IT'S BUTT UGLY!!! It looks like it is made up of left over panels of different models through the ages!! To each his own i guess!! ;~)) Michael

Member - Bruce C (NSW) replied:
Yep I agree, it has received a very serious whack from the ugly stick. In fact I think it has been abused by the ugly stick.
I would have to refuse one if it was given to me I reckon.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 452223

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 13:12

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 13:12
Doug a few of those replies are partially right in that Toyota are aiming sales at the yound city based driver wanting a 1st time 4x4 with a bit of shock value. While initially they may be found doing laps of StKilda it wont be long before many find their way up the bush, not unlike Jeep Wranglers do.
Where I think some are way off the mark is the ability to turn one into a very capable offroad bus. Prado's would have to be the most under rated off road vehcile sold in Oz & the FJ is just a Prado underneath with a better wheel base, approach & departure angle, lighter weight along with a diff lock & all the traction aids known to man. These will surprise alot of the old school who think a true 4x4 must be diesel, manual & have steel wheels :-)
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 724925

Sponsored Links