ford ranger broken down

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 28, 2011 at 20:59
ThreadID: 85937 Views:13630 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a broken down ford ranger 2007 model,Has anybody had big trouble with there fuel injection? common rail turbo diesel 3 litre .
I have just replaced my diesel injection pump and still won't start ! I have put it on the scan tool and tells me that it has 38982 psi it should read around (3000) at the fuel rail wether the sensor is plugged in or not .yes I have tried a new rail sensor as well!! so this has me stumped, has any body got any ideas other than a can of petrol and some matches !!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2011 at 21:08

Thursday, Apr 28, 2011 at 21:08
Hi russel. Something is wrong with that fuel pressure reading. Have you taken a sample of fuel from both your fuel tank and fuel filter. Dirty or contaminated fuel will kill the injectors on these engines and no amount of fuel pressure can overcome that. Regards,Bob

AnswerID: 452642

Follow Up By: russell j1 - Thursday, Apr 28, 2011 at 21:28

Thursday, Apr 28, 2011 at 21:28
Hi Bob, yes we replaced the fuel filter cleaned the tank it had some dirt, but totally cleaned out, the fuel pressure is way to high , it did revert back to normal pressure but once we turned it over it went high sky again!! this in turn wont let the injectors open, we think !!
FollowupID: 725324

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Thursday, Apr 28, 2011 at 22:11

Thursday, Apr 28, 2011 at 22:11
My understanding is that in most common rail diesels the rail pressure is >1800bar or 27000psi or higher. I'm guessing that there is not too much wrong with your rail pressure at all.
FollowupID: 725342

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Thursday, Apr 28, 2011 at 22:30

Thursday, Apr 28, 2011 at 22:30
Russell

I have a JEEP CRD 05 Cherokee and have always been told and believed that the 'rail' operates at around 23,000psi.

After your comments above, you started me thinking Ooops! I'am operating a potential bomb here, so I checked good old google and came up with this item :

Common rail direct fuel injection is a modern variant of direct fuel injection system for petrol and diesel engines.

On diesel engines, it features a high-pressure (over 1,000 bar/15,000 psi) fuel rail feeding individual solenoid valves, as opposed to low-pressure fuel pump feeding unit injectors (Pumpe Düse or pump nozzles). Third-generation common rail diesels now feature piezoelectric injectors for increased precision, with fuel pressures up to 1,800 bar/26,000 psi.

In view of this, I would respectfully suggest the pressure in your particular engine maybe a tad too low.

Also there is a a Solenoid that controls the flow of diesel into the rail which has been a problem on V6 CRD's used by JEEP that are made by Fiat.

DD
AnswerID: 452662

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 13:19

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 13:19
hi dust devil
how could russells fuel pressure be too low when he clearly said it scanned at-

38,982 psi

that sounds too high if anything
in respect dd i would suggest you have mis-read the figures
russell has quoted
cheers
barry
FollowupID: 725416

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 17:50

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 17:50
Mazcan

Your dead right about the 38,982psi and he did "clearly say it scanned at 38,982psi" and I am even more sure that I did not contradict those figures in any way what so ever.

I am even more sure that Russell said he wished to get the aforementioned pressure down to 3,000psi:

Just to get some clarity in this tread I will copy and paste Russells exact words:

"I have just replaced my diesel injection pump and still won't start ! I have put it on the scan tool and tells me that it has 38982 psi it should read around (3000) at the fuel rail wether the sensor is plugged in or not"

Now I read that as Russell stating he wishes to reduce the current pressure of 38982psi down to 3000psi.

I was merely attempting to point out to Russell that later model vehicles like his CRD run a RAIL pressure at around 27,000psi, and therefore his attempt to lower his CRD to 3,000psi would be aiming for to low a pressure.

Then again I could have "mis-read" Russell's figures as you say and if that is so, I apologize most humbly to Russell for misreading his figures and promise never to do so again.

DD

FollowupID: 725443

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:07

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:07
If it is common rail with electronic injectors and you did have dirty fuel and that is why it stopped then the injectors will be blocked and can't be cleaned. New injectors will be required. That is why the fuel pressure is high, can't get out!
AnswerID: 452687

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 13:28

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 13:28
hi russell
is the fuel-pump cutout seleniod wire damaged or disconnected

if it is
this will not allow it to start
i got caught out by this on one occasion and was looking for bigger problems in the system
check the wire before removing the injectors might be all thats stopping it
cheers barry
AnswerID: 452726

Reply By: russell j1 - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 20:29

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 20:29
Hi guys thanks for the feed back , I have gone over all the wiring and can't find any broken wires!
My next thing to do is have the ecu checked. It is getting close to the can of fuel and box of matches though!! , My good friend and mechanic still get gets high pressure but now we also have high voltage in fuel line (as read on scan tool)
This is turning out to be a real twister ,I hope i can sought it soon .
AnswerID: 452779

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 13:54

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 13:54
hi russell
there is one more thing you could try
turn off the key and remove from the ignition and close all doors with interior lights etc
then make sure there are no auxillary items drawing power off the battery then read the manual as per
disconnecting the battery terminals as some vehicles with ecu's do have specific precedures for this

and although you might say what good would that do you may be pleasantly surprised at the results then after cleaning the terminals

reconnect them but check the manual for correct procedure as above vehicles have specifics in doing this

the ecu will reboot and you may find the problem you previously had is gone these computors are strange creatures
its worth a try and only take a few minutes
i know of had a couple of issues one personelly where doing this has eradicated a so called bug
it would be better to try this than use the petrol and matches
cheers barry
FollowupID: 725560

Sponsored Links