Talon chainsaws

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:32
ThreadID: 8596 Views:15814 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have experience with Talon chainsaws, good or bad, that they would like to pass on. I'm looking to buy a small saw 12" to 14" bar model for fire wood/track clearing, so occasional use rather than regular use.

Cheers

Buggerlux
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:40

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:40
Supposed to be not too bad. I was looking at them before but found that Poulon saws were around the same price if you hunted around and they are an american saw that is extremely popular over there and they have a good parts back up. They are a big concern in yankee land a division of G.E corporation. Had mine for a year and a half and it's done heaps of work with no complaints. I hunted down a deal and got a spare chain, bar lube and two stroke oil. cost about the same as the Talon 38cc.
AnswerID: 37663

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 12:49

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 12:49
Poulon not bad for a cheapie...also consider Jonsered - not much more expensive than a Poulon but much smoother and it has outlasted the Poulon I used to have...
FollowupID: 27276

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:51

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:51
Mate there is no such thing as a good and cheap chainsaw.... Check out either husky or stihl , stihl have a special on at the moment on their baby wood boss unit which comes with tool-free chain adjust and will last you a lifetime. The extra cost is well worth it ..Life is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
AnswerID: 37664

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:56

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:56
Couldnt agree more.

I was talkin to dad today about the things that Ive bought over the years to save $10 here and there, but had to replace the things in no time, and would have been better spending an extra $50-100 at the time, would have saved $1000's over the years.

My Stihl is brilliant, cost lots, but will last.
FollowupID: 27303

Reply By: Gazza - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:08

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:08
I bought a "good Cheap chainsaw" about 5 years ago and found that the only time it ran properly was in the workshop at home!!

Eventually I spent the bucks on a Stilh with a 14" bar a spare chain (and it has the tool free adjustments) because I actually need a chainsaw that would work when I needed to clear a track or cut some firewood in the bush. The guy I bought it off gave me a trade in on the "good cheap chainsaw" but refused to take it. He said "I can't resell it as a second hand unit even though it's done no work, because my business reputation is worth more than that" so he gave me his business card and asked that I pass it on to the buyer so that when he too realised that a "good cheap chainsaw" is no bargain if you actually want to cut wood, he would know where to buy a chainsaw that works.

So my advice is that a "good cheap chainsaw" is in reality an "ineffective, expensive boat anchor" and fulfils neither task very well if at all. So if after this piece of advice you intend to persist with the purchase of a "good, cheap chainsaw" you should alsdo factor in the cost of a bushmans saw because expeince shows that you will get more value from that than the chainsaw!!!

Gazza
AnswerID: 37677

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:45

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:45
I greatly appreciate the info here - I was just about to buy a Poulson chainsaw off eBay for what I thought was a reasonable price. Have just shelved that idea. Once again, this Forum has proved to be an invaluable resource, and has saved me many times more than the cost of my Membership.
Thanks again.
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 37682

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 17:38

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 17:38
Jack,

I used to own a renouned brand chainsaw that was the most unreliable piece of equipment I have ever had. On a recommendation from a property owner I purchased a Talon 38cc Tree Hawk chainsaw (40cm bar). For what I use it for it is excellent - mainly firewood at camping, track clearing and a bit around the house. It has always started first time, comes in its own carry case (important as they do make a mess in the fourby with the chain oil everywhere) and has never let me down. It comes with a 2 year warranty and all up cost less than $300.

As with most things, people will bag out a cheaper alternative as in most peoples eyes $$$$ = quality. In addition, most people who bag something have never owned one either.

If you want to get a Talon, I am sure you will not be disappointed with it - I certainly am not - but then again, I don't own a Cruiser either......Moggs ( Normanhurst NSW)
AnswerID: 37696

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 19:40

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 19:40
Hi Moggs :)
I have a cruiser because I was able to get a *very* good price second hand. So I am very happy to look at a Talon. Like my hand winch, the chain saw may never be used.
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
FollowupID: 27338

Follow Up By: howesy - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 20:35

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 20:35
got to agree with you. its the luck of the draw. My previous saw to the poulon was a bigger mcculloch. It was forever breaking on me right when I wanted to use the sucker. if the poulon only lasts a few years its worth being a throw away at the price. couldn't say the same for the thousand dollar saws.
FollowupID: 27341

Reply By: Member - Alan- Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 18:52

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 18:52
I don't know anything about Talon, never heard of them. But agree with others about Stihl, bought a 16" MiniBoss (or FarmBoss or something) at least 15 years ago, wore out a few chains, and now my son uses it on his property.
Excellent machine, simple servicing done by me, never been back for work to be done on it, and it goes real strong.
AnswerID: 37717

Reply By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:47

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:47
I have owned a number of different brand chain saws over the years and the best one to date is the Stihl.
My mcCulloch siezed up!
My huscy is tempermental when hot or cold!
But the Stihl which is 10 years old just doesn't want to stop!!
AnswerID: 37806

Reply By: Murfa - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 22:43

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 22:43
Hey there,
Purhased a Talon chain saw. Love it, and never had a problem with it so far. It is a mid priced reliable saw, which hasn't managed to let me down yet. Talon is a good brand, not as well knowen as stilh, and I have no doubt the quality of stilh is amazing, but I can highly recommend the Talon, and if you live in the brisbane area, would be happy to let you have a go to see if you like it before you purchased 1. I would advise not to buy a poulen brand, as I have heard terrible stories about these, I guess you can only go of people own experiences.
AnswerID: 38463

Reply By: Murfa - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 22:43

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 22:43
Hey there,
Purhased a Talon chain saw. Love it, and never had a problem with it so far. It is a mid priced reliable saw, which hasn't managed to let me down yet. Talon is a good brand, not as well knowen as stilh, and I have no doubt the quality of stilh is amazing, but I can highly recommend the Talon, and if you live in the brisbane area, would be happy to let you have a go to see if you like it before you purchased 1. I would advise not to buy a poulen brand, as I have heard terrible stories about these, I guess you can only go of people own experiences.
AnswerID: 38464

Sponsored Links