DV Camera Mounting

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:59
ThreadID: 8597 Views:1799 Replies:3 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Guys & Gals,
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mount a DV Camera to my Paj so that I can capture all my Exiting Adventures Preferably that doesn’t involve Drilling Holes?

Thanks In AdvanceKeep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:19

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:19
Can you use a heavy duty Velcro that is stuck to the dash.ne cede malis
AnswerID: 37659

Reply By: Bazza - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:30

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:30
G'Day Matt,
Many years ago I wanted to do the same thing and also did not want to drill any holes. After designing and making countless contraptions I finally came up with a winner. I purchased four large suction cups, the type glass handlers use. These units have a large surface area ( about 4 inches ) and have a suction release lever. After making a suitable metal bracket arrangement to suit the suction cups and the camera screw mount, I put it to use. Worked like a charm! I made this about eight years ago and still use it today. If you use the standard size tripod screw lock attachment it will fit most format still and motion cameras.
I hope this info gives you some ideas.
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 37661

Follow Up By: Matt (W.A.) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:33

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:33
Cheers Bazza,
Keep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
FollowupID: 27297

Follow Up By: Matt (W.A.) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:34

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:34
Cheers Bazza,
Any Ideas on where to get the Big Suckers from??? Bunnings maybe?Keep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
FollowupID: 27298

Follow Up By: Bazza - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:56

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:56
G'Day Matt,
I got them from Hardware House ( pre-Bunnings ) so it's worth a look.
You can also get them in the lifter configuration ( two suction cups mounted at each ends of a "D" handle with release lever). This is used for moving sheet or panel glass. If you can locate two of them, at the right price, it would be easer to make a bracket arrangement between them to mount your camera. It you do'nt do any good at Bunnings, speak to a glass fitter ( ie O'Briens Glass or the like ) and ask them where they get their grabers from.
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 27305

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 17:42

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 17:42
Interesting ... so is this for mounting the camera outside the vehicle then? What about dust etc? We have a Sony underwater housing that I guess we could mount in the same way - I'd be annoyed with dust landing on the lens. The suckers are on the shopping list for us. Thanks for the tip.ExplorOz
FollowupID: 27313

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 17:48

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 17:48
Have just re-read all the answers here and see that everyone is talking about mounting the camera inside the vehicle for filming what you see. I've taken so much footage from inside the vehicle and it never really shows justice to the challenge of some obstacles that you want to capture. That's why I was looking at the concept of mounting the camera outside the vehicle - for getting a sidelong glance to include the side of the car and the wheels are they hit the track (like the pros on TV do). Obviously, you would have to be careful not to forget it was there - I bet you could even hook it up to the laptop and check the playback as you were travelling....ExplorOz
FollowupID: 27314

Follow Up By: Matt (W.A.) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 17:56

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 17:56
Michelle,
I was hoping to mount the camera on the inside of the windscreen there wouldn’t be a dust problem and also it would be easier to control start/stop ect.. And just in case it fell off!!!!
check out this link
Stick Pod

Matt (W.A.)
FollowupID: 27316

Follow Up By: Matt (W.A.) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 18:07

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 18:07
Bazza,
Any chance of getting a couple of Pics of your Mount? If Possible

masiv@bigpond.com

Thanks in Advance

Matt (W.A.)
FollowupID: 27318

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 18:28

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 18:28
Thanks Matt,
StickPod is great!! but David would make that rather than spend US$75 provided we can find those suckers at Bunnings.ExplorOz
FollowupID: 27323

Follow Up By: Matt (W.A.) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 18:34

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 18:34
Same here bunnings is the Go.Keep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
FollowupID: 27326

Follow Up By: Member - Toonfish - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 23:17

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 23:17
any pics for me as welll bazza i love to tinker?
decuisine1@iprimus.com.au1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
FollowupID: 27352

Follow Up By: Bazza - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:53

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:53
Michelle,
The set-up I came up with was designed for inside use although a mate of mine also wanted to do the same as you. He used my set-up outside his 4wd but mounted his V8 camera in a waterproof enclosure. The type that is used for underwater filming. This worked a treat, as it also kept the camera dustproof. I'm not sure what the enclosure cost him at the time but I know that there are now bag/plastic arrangements that do the same thing, and possibly cost less.
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 27377

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:52

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:52
Even easier.

You can buy an extension thing from JAYCAR for about $100 upwards that is one of those SMALL Security Cameras that you plug into your camare, then mount on your rear view mirror, dashpod, etc etc, you can get color or B/W, with or without sound the lot.. Then leave the camera in its bag on the floor with the cable going from the camera to where ever you mount the smaller camera thing.

Bloke from the club had one at ROBE and videoed everything! His camera stayed on the Passangers seat all weekend, he was solo.. usually sits on the floor.

Jaycar Specialsthere was one on their front page, but it changes each time you go to the page.
AnswerID: 37683

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 16:39

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 16:39
G'day Matt, I used to run a sony video 8 camera hooked up to my race car. I made a base plate for it to sit on and exhaust bolts to clamp it to the vertical roll bar sitting behind my drivers seat..so the camera was sitting between the 2 front seats, I also added a fisheye lens to give a panoramic view of the racing. Although it worked ok for home recorded memories of race events, eventually with the high G forces the base of the camera where the tripod thingamegig screws into started to crack as the weight of the camera around corners at 200 + was way too heavy to hold down.

As for Bazza's brilliant idea, well..im impressed mate, u did well on this one bazz. i was reading ur suggestion and visualising exactly what it looks like...simple AND effective, I will make that my next project, might even try mounting it around the body for different shots with the fisheye lens. But may i would suggest from expierence that 4WD'ing can in its own way be just as demanding on the camera mount as is circuit racing..so id suggest some sort of surround moulded bracket to hold the camera steady and stop the base screw wanting to rip out .
FollowupID: 27311

Sponsored Links