Gas bottle on tailgate

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:33
ThreadID: 85972 Views:4526 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Can anyone tell me if it is legal to mount a gas bottle on the tailgate of a camper trailer rather than on the side at the rear.
I want to move my battery from the front storage box to the rear where the gas bottle currently is, but if I move the gas bottle up to the front I cant get a gas pipe long enough to reach the back.
Cheers
Dave T
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:41

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:41
Hi David,

I am not sure if it is illegal. but probably should be. Very dangerous location in event of tail ender.

Mate why don't you get 2 hoses and join them together with a hex nipple. That will give you twice the length will it not. Locate the hose in some split ribbed conduit so that it cannot chafe and all should be OK.
Speaking as ex gasfitter.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 452821

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 11:01

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 11:01
Bruce quoted
(Mate why don't you get 2 hoses and join them together with a hex nipple.)

I was thinking of this for my camper & was told it was illegal to do so , -SA- , so I got the longest hose and mounted bottle rear 1/4

If you need to keep it connected the copper tube idea might be best .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 725535

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 11:43

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 11:43
Thanks Nick,
I am not aware of the regs in SA, they may be differnt than NSW.
Could go to the BOC gas and gear shop and get them to make up a hose as they do for porta gas torches used for heating pipe such as we plumbers use etc. Or as you suggested Nick get something fitted permanently but it will have to be compliance plated which will cost a few dollars. probably the safest in the long run.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 725541

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:44

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:44
Gday
Can't you run a copper pipe from the gas bottle to the hose ? Get a gas hose made to run the full length of the trailer , the same as the gas hose from the gas bottle in the car .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 452822

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:49

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:49
Hi Muzbry,
Once you use copper tube you need a gas ticket or it is illegal. There would then need to be a compliance plate fitted etc. etc. that is why I suggested doubling the hoses with a hex nipple. Could be a bit of a grey area still but not from what I understand. Mind you I am not up with current regs re LPG.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 725534

Follow Up By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:01

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:01
You cannot buy fittings to join two hoses together, because it is illegal. I have been down this road, the longest hose you can use is 1.2m I think, if you go longer there is a risk of too much pressure in the hose and it bursting.
Pipe has to have a compliance tag and checked regularly.

Noel K.
FollowupID: 725548

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:59

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:59
Hi Noel,

I have joined two hoses together from standard Bunnings parts to enable my BBQ to be further away from the gas point. There is NO issue with pressure too high and bursting by joining hoses - the pressure "may" drop a bit with a longer hose but it certainly cannot increase.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 725555

Follow Up By: Racey - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 13:09

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 13:09
For the sake of a $200 gas compliance, do you really want to risk your camper and/or your family. Do it properly the first time and it's done.

Cheers

Racey
FollowupID: 725557

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 13:37

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 13:37
Hi Noel K,

I have 20 foot hoses on my oxy set and we used to have hoses of varying lengths on our portagas gear so that is not an issue.

Acetylene is far more dangerous than LPG and there is no issues relating to length of hoses, only the gas lost in the hoses at shut down. Acetylene is so dangerous that it has to be bottled under water. Never take it for granted or you may be sporting a harp and a set of wings.
And you will be lonely as all your friends will most likely be in that other place. LOL

It could be that there are certain restrictions by the authorities re location of hoses etc and whether they are a fixture or removable, But Hoses are often doubled up with connectors in certain circumstances to gain extra length.

As I said I am not up with current regs.

Perhaps one of the LPG ticketed members can enlighten us re current regs.

Cheers, Bruce

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 725559

Follow Up By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 15:25

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 15:25
Hi Guys, I went right into this with our licensed gas fitter when I built my trailer. I argued too, he even threw the regulation book at me. Maybe it is only a rule here in the Territory, but I cannot buy any longer hose or any fitting in any LPG store, Bunnings or BCF in Darwin. I even approached Hydralink to make me a hose but they don't have the swarge fittings of the hose size. The male/female type connectors are made with different thread so they won't fit, which means to me, the authorities don't wont you to join them.
What we are playing with here is pretty dangerous stuff and I prefer to go by what our Gas fitter has told me. When gas is released into atmosphere it expands something like ten times it's volume. One cup of gas turns into ten cups immediate, it will blow your baked beans clean out of the park if you use dodgy connections.
Oh... I personally would not put a gas bottle on the tailgate.
Check your regulations and stay safe. Cheers

Noel K.
FollowupID: 725568

Follow Up By: blown4by - Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 11:08

Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 11:08
It expands 270 times actually
FollowupID: 727076

Reply By: snoopyone - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 17:25

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 17:25
For the sake of about 10 kilos is all the trouble worth it.

AnswerID: 452845

Follow Up By: Racey - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 19:05

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 19:05
it's a 10kg BOMB, yes it's worth it.
Racey
FollowupID: 725594

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 19:17

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 19:17
The point I am trying to make is that he will only alter the weight by that much front to back

What other reason does he have for doing it.

Fuel of any sort is best kept away from rear ends on both trailers and vans.
FollowupID: 725601

Reply By: Member - John C (INT) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 23:08

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 23:08
The reason you cannot run a long hose is that a portable gas cooker like the type used in camper trailers ECT will not work as the run of gas is too far for high pressure gas appliances. The type of cookers as used in campervans or caravans is low pressure this is why they use a regulator on the gas cylinder. Low pressure units will not work properly in the wind or even slight breezes. It is illegal in Aust to run gas line through the inside of a trailer or penetrate the wall or sides this is why some camper trailer makers use a steel channel to run a low pressure gas line through for a low pressure cooker. My wife sells LPG and fittings and this is a conversation she and her brother had with people trying to do the same type of thing for over 25 years. John C
AnswerID: 452868

Reply By: Member - Josh- Sunday, May 01, 2011 at 08:31

Sunday, May 01, 2011 at 08:31
The gas bottle on our camper was on the front with a line running to the rear. There was a female gas plug at the rear and we simply plugged the the male connector from the stove into the female plug , turned the bottle on and we were cooking with gas. Don't remember what the hose was that ran from the front. This was built from the factory like that. We never had any trouble with low/high gas pressure.

Josh
AnswerID: 452885

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, May 01, 2011 at 11:06

Sunday, May 01, 2011 at 11:06
Gday,
Your safest way would be to a ring a gas plumber.
There are all sorts of regs regarding lengths of flex, where its alowed to be used and whether or not it can be joined.

Cheapest opions.....

Join two hoses....probably illegal ? $60 ish
get a hose made.....probably legeal (depending where you run it)but not the safest option. $100 ish
call a gas plumber.......legal, safe and certified. $200 ish.

or
Run a copper line through with all welded fittings. Run as much of it out side of your camper as possible and give it a good mechanical protection, test it when finished.
Useing stuff laying around home and scroundging from mates places .........$a few beers. But dont tell any one on here or you will be scolded for threatening lives and all sorts of insurance issuses!!!!!!

Cheers
AnswerID: 452899

Reply By: blown4by - Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 11:14

Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 11:14
It is illegal to mount LPG cylinders on the faces of a vehicle which would come into contact with objects if you hit them or they hit you, including reversing in to something. Why don't you just connect the bottle each time you stop and need to use the LPG like lots of campers are set up that way. If the bottle is hard plumbed then a gas fitter must fit a NOC plate
AnswerID: 454234

Sponsored Links