Barry Caves Roadhouse

Submitted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 at 15:25
ThreadID: 86091 Views:5081 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Was there any more info on this place,along with Frewena. I did send a memo to the NT Tourist Mob about signposting these two historic places and they were historic, Frewena especially during the war. There was mention of further photo's from members but I don't know if theyve moved on,couldn't find any other postings.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, May 05, 2011 at 16:21

Thursday, May 05, 2011 at 16:21
Gday Grant
I remember spending a night at Barry Caves in 1968 . Grotty little motel and bar on the side of the road , Gee i must be old . I also had lunch at Frewena with a couple of jackaroos . Same trip.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 453351

Reply By: SIF4X4 - Thursday, May 05, 2011 at 16:51

Thursday, May 05, 2011 at 16:51
Geez that name takes me back a while........1970's

Barry Caves was OK but Frewena then was a run down shoddy place

I might even have a photo of the caves somewhere
AnswerID: 453352

Reply By: pmk03 - Thursday, May 05, 2011 at 22:54

Thursday, May 05, 2011 at 22:54
G'Day grant t1,
There is a post no; 48602 with a bit of info & a few stories that might interest you, but still no pics. I do have one picture of me at the fuel bowser around early1980's but its looking out to the hwy & you cant see the roadhouse. I can't post it anyway as I am not a member. If anyone has pics I would like to see them too!
PMK
AnswerID: 453387

Follow Up By: grant t1 - Thursday, May 05, 2011 at 23:31

Thursday, May 05, 2011 at 23:31
thanks fella's,I worked up there in the mid 70's and as you said that had all the flavours of the outback. I guess places like daly waters and william creek gets close,barry caves was a gem though. Hope someone catches the thread and finds some pictures.
FollowupID: 726173

Reply By: Kerry W - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:07

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:07
Hi Grant. I am also trying to gather info on Barry Caves and Frewena Roadhouses. We are living at the Barkly Homestead Roadhouse, just arrived back from NSW. We also spent about 9 months here last year. I am trying to put together some insight into what the two old roadhouses were like, for visitors passing thru BHR. There does not seem to be very much info on either. I found a site http:/www.ozatwar.com/locations/6abore.htm which had info about W.H. Whitlock purchasing Bore 6A staging camp for the Frewena site. Someone had contact with info@westprint.com.au about Frewena photos. I contacted westprint, but they had no further contact with that person. I have noted on my scribbles that there was a disastrous fire at Barry caves in Aug. 1972. Anyway, I will keep searching. Cheers...Kerry
AnswerID: 456135

Follow Up By: grant t1 - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:23

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:23
Thanks Kerry W, its interesting also that the gov archives in the NT have not any details of those 2 places.
FollowupID: 729124

Follow Up By: JerseyJu - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 07:28

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 07:28
Hi Kerry
I worked at the old Frewena Roadhouse back in 1980 for about 10 weeks when my friend and I were touring Oz for a couple of years. We saw the job advertised when we were up in Darwin and phoned up for it. The owner then was a right character called Mr Griffiths or “Griffo” by everyone, never knew his first name but he was a real hoot, we were told that the jobs were ours if we wanted and to get our asses down asap, he didn’t ask our names or anything! When we arrived 2 days later having stopped overnight at Dunmara on the way down Griffo was out, so we were told the “job terms” by one of the other workers, firstly we could stay for as long or short as we liked, no pay until we left, all meals included with an allowance of a couple of beers a day, any extra grog or cigarettes we had were written in a book and deducted when we got paid!. Griffo had a girlfriend (may have been a fiancé) who lived somewhere by Threeways, the name Philip Creek rings a bell and he used to disappear down to her every week for a couple of days leaving about 8 of us to run the place. There was a bar, petrol pumps and a few rooms for hire, I remember the whole place was put together out of corrugated iron, no air-con in those days and no proper fridges for the beer it was all kept in kind of deep freezers which were run from a generator and served up in cans – no glasses! It was mostly truckers who stopped by and occasionally we would get a coach stopping and have a rush of steak sarnies to do. I remember every month the local Aborigines would come down to collect their dole/government handout, as they couldn’t read or write they had to put a finger print in a book when they took their money, they would then go and buy a load of crates of warm beer, sit under the trees outside and get wasted for a couple of days until they had to go back to the station. There were 3 Cattle stations nearby (well the near in outback terms) they were Avon Downs, Brunnette Downs and one beginning with C but I can’t remember the name (I had a t-shirt with A.B.C. Stations on it), Frewena used to see the Jackaroos from these from time to time. I remember one night we were woken up by Griffo as he had a couple of beef cattle to slaughter, butcher and freeze before daybreak, apparently they had been let through a “hole” in the fence and came down to the nearest waterhole, we were instructed to hold legs etc while it was all carried out in the middle of the night!
I remember a good couple of parties taking place while we were there, I can’t remember the reason but remember about 50 or so road trains parked up and down the road – it lasted for a couple of days before the beer ran out and they all headed off on their ways – no taco-graphs in the trucks then, they just put their foot down to catch up on their trip!
Our main entertainment was going out horse riding on the half dozen or so horses kept at the Roadhouse, I also remember seeing a horse being broken in “outback” style, all done and being ridden in a couple of days! I remember we filled up the old swimming pool, but as there were no chemicals or pumps to clean it we only used it a couple of times to cool off before it got all manky and we couldn’t be bothered to empty it out with buckets again. We also had videos bought in by Griffo to watch in the evenings, again no satellite tv back then and news was a few days old when the truckers left us their old papers.
It was certainly an experience working there and a shame that it is no longer on the map when it obviously played an important role in the war years!
FollowupID: 729861

Follow Up By: Kerry W - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:02

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:02
Hi JerseyJu. Great to hear about your time at Frewena. It sounded like you had a fun there. It is a shame that there is hardly and info about Frewena and Barry Caves. Would you mind if I put a copy of your "time at Frewena" on our notice board? Please let me know if it's ok to do so.....Cheers Kerry
FollowupID: 729869

Follow Up By: JerseyJu - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 20:56

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 20:56
No problem, I'll come for a visit if I ever come back to Australia - but getting old now!!
FollowupID: 729945

Follow Up By: Kerry W - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 14:49

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 14:49
Thanks JerseyJu. We have a pretty good relationship with the backpackers that work here, they are a great bunch of young ones. A lot of them would love to live in Oz. All the best...Kerry
FollowupID: 729997

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 11:18

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 11:18
Hi Grant,

I assume you've seen these, but I found a couple on the net.

National Library Barry Caves

Barry Caves after fire 1972

Hope these help.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 456139

Reply By: grant t1 - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 21:19

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 21:19
Thanks Graeme,atleast you have some photo's,I reckon I may have one of Frewena in my slides,will have a good look after I come back in a weeks time,will send it to you at Barkely. I'm also looking for some others of the PMG repeater station at Wonarah half-way between the two roadhouses,dosn't exist now,will get back to you,many thanks for responding.

grant
AnswerID: 456186

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 00:09

Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 00:09
Putting the names into the NT Place Names Register gave some good references.

Barry caves

Frewena -Frewena

There a few map links on each page. If you click on them they take you to maps where you can see the places marked. Barry caves is a few km down the highway to the east of the Wunara Store. The two Frewena sites (that now have aboriginal names) are on a natural form road that leads to the north of the Frewena rest area.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 457037

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 00:13

Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 00:13
Further my previous, if you click on the Frewena Rest Area link you will see the two aboriginal settlements.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 730165

Sponsored Links